Were The Doors Actually Any Good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baron_Samedi

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK200K
Discuss...

(I think the vast majority of their music to be average at best)

yawn....:dk:

The DOORS were built up round the persona of Jim Morrison in the main. They produced a few memorable tracks--- Light my Fire, Riders on the Storm--- and were assured of immortality with the burnt-out Morrison's premature death of a heart attack at the age of 27?? OVERATED?--definitely:doh:

Glad I am not alone.

Some of the tracks were very good, but I was listening to Back Door Man on Youtube and it was the most rambling rubbish...

Music is very subjective and what one person loves another hates.
Personally, I find some of the Doors tracks absolutely brilliant. Others I hear as a rambling collection of discordant notes.
Either like or loathe them, it cant be denied that music by the Doors influenced many current artists a great deal.
I admit that most entries in Wikipedia need a degree of caution and cannot be taken on face value, but to be fair most are reasonably accurate.
This is a small extract regarding Jim Morrison...........

"Morrison remains one of the most popular and influential singers/writers in rock history as The Doors' catalog has become a staple of classic rock radio stations. To this day he is widely regarded as the prototypical rock star: surly, sexy, scandalous and mysterious. The leather pants he was fond of wearing both on stage and off have since become stereotyped as rock star apparel."

On a similar note, anyone think the Beatles were overated?

No. Absolutely not. They are still the most talented group that ever played and for the most part, wrote all their own songs. No other group comes anywhere close.
But, it must be said, I was never a huge fan. I preferred the Rolling Stones.

yes

over hyped and right for the time.

None of them were great musicians (apart from George Harrison), a lot of their songs were tedious, a lot of what they (particularly John Lennon) said was unintersting waffle and most of what they did after the split was better than what they were doing as a whole.

They were discovered, packaged and sold just like any other boy band :)

ok, not like just any old boy band, at least they wrote their own songs but so do Take That

No. Absolutely not. They are still the most talented group that ever played and for the most part, wrote all their own songs. No other group comes anywhere close.
But, it must be said, I was never a huge fan. I prefered the Rolling Stones.
Those could be my words! I do very much like their later work on the White Album, Revolver and Sgt Peppers though.

Yes.

Probably due to overkill, their music has been everywhere for so long that it could only become a bit boring.

Bring back The Band....... Richard Thompson/Sonny Landreth/Ry Cooder or even Squeeze! An eclectic mix if I say so myself.....

Were the Doors any good?

Well, this one certainly isn't.

56IMGP8210.jpg

But, it must be said, I was never a huge fan. I preferred the Rolling Stones.

I prefer the Stones to The Beatles, but I understand why they were and are still so Lauded.

No other group comes close? One does...Led Zeppelin

I was never a huge fan of The Doors bar one track used in the opening scene of Apocalypse Now - "The end". I'd never before seen a fim where the opening titles made the hair on my neck stand on end.

Discuss...

(I think the vast majority of their music to be average at best)

They are overrated by some. Jim Morrison's sad demise in Paris kind of cemented them into a place they shouldn't be. And Oliver Stone's movie gilded that.

Conversely other bands from the 60s are a bit underated - eg. The Small faces.

Last edited:

No.

Though this habit of releasing 'new' stuff every few years is really annoying me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom