Were you stopped?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But that's the thing.

The database would show that you are not insured, that'd be why they stop you.

So your certificate would be of little value, other than perhaps helping you remember who your insurer is? They can't and shouldn't rely on just a piece of paper that is largely meaningless, it doesn't prove that you are insured.

Will

but it would be nice if insurance would provide a credit card sized mini-certificate you could keep in your wallet ( I have the similarly sized MOT sticker on the windscreen of each car as a reminder to myself of the expiry dates .

What a cracking idea.

This thread has made me realise I can't remember who insures my gilfriend's car. I'd look guilty as hell if I was stopped and asked.

I'd probably say it was insured by confused.com :doh:

HD

They can't and shouldn't rely on just a piece of paper that is largely meaningless, it doesn't prove that you are insured.

It would help if they knew who you were insured by, and what your acct number was so that they could call on the spot to verify, rather (as said above) than you having to waste time later on by visiting the local station.

The ANPR system isn't flawless, and mistakes are sure to happen - best to make things as little hassle as possible for all parties concerned.

Alot of insurance certificates are printed off a laser printer and look like photocopies. Unless you either show up on the database or the police can confirm with the insurer the certificate is of little value. As said earlier a certificate is no proof you're covered as you may have cancelled the policy and not returned it.

The worrying thought is what hours are the insurance companies open to take police phone calls. Getting stopped at midnight may prove worrying.

I keep photocopies in the car ( originals at home ) but it would be nice if insurance would provide a credit card sized mini-certificate you could keep in your wallet ( I have the similarly sized MOT sticker on the windscreen of each car as a reminder to myself of the expiry dates .

I've had one for the last couple of years, policy details and contact numbers on it. Broker is Performance Direct, can't remember who the underwriter is but the card looks to be the brokers idea. Be nice if it caught on

I used this garage for over ten years, he said are you going to remove it or I will fail it.

I got away but will it be in the record and if they stop me will they point it out again, I put it back again after the MOT together with the nearly worn tyres? Will they follow up, we warned you before during the MOT.:rolleyes:
Why would it be 'on the record' ?

The database disparity is exactly why I carry it. As said, one call to the insurers can prove I am covered if they don't believe me.

I'd be more annoyed having to report to a police station with my certificate within a fixed time period than spend a short time 'helping the police with their enquiries'.

Steve, you wouldnt need the certificate, merely tell the copper who you are insured with and they'll call the insurance co.

I carry my certificate in case of mishap, so I can exchange details

I keep photocopies in the car ( originals at home ) but it would be nice if insurance would provide a credit card sized mini-certificate you could keep in your wallet ( I have the similarly sized MOT sticker on the windscreen of each car as a reminder to myself of the expiry dates .

I had a policy 15 years ago with a company (Eagle Star IIRC) who did just this, it seemed pretty cutting edge at the time and I did, indeed, carry it in my wallet. All fell flat on its face when the Post Office refused to accept it was a real insurance certificate when I went to tax the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom