West Midlands - motors and music

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks Will, almost brought a tear to my eyes! I used to have a 3.5 SD1 back in their day, and it was one of the more comfortable cars I've ever owned. Shame about the Leyland build quality! Sad to see all those names gone.

Some great photos.

It's the first time I've seen a photo of the old Bullring in years and I struggled to get my barings, it's changed so much. I would have preferred to have kept the whole shebang than just the Rotunda. I'm too young to remember it in it's heyday, so my only memories are of a half-empty, run down, shopping centre, but what a great building.

I've owned two 'Birmingham' cars:

1. The first was a 1955 Austin A30 which I bought in 1993 at the age of 17, and it had a single owner from new, covered less than 1,000 miles per year (genuine), and still had the toolkit wrapped in newspapers from 1959!! That car was super slow, and I don't really count it as one of my cars because I only really bought it for the registration number, and I didn't really drive it - just a few times. It sat in the garage whilst I teared around in my Vauxhall Nova 1.3 SR and then Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi 16v, both of which wore the A30s registration number.

2. The second was a 1996 Rover 220 SDi which I bought in 1997 at the age of 21, and it was 12 months old, but had covered something like 26,000 miles. It was a rocketship in diesel terms at the time, and it was about as fast as you could go in a diesel at the time although the Golf GT TDi came soon after.

I also learned to drive in a 1972 Morris 1800 ("Landcrab"), which my grandad owned from around 1973, and passed it on to my parents in 1980 when he died. I can't quite remember how old I was but I guess at around the age of 10 (ish). A wonderful car.

All of them were great. It's a shame that those companies no longer exist :(

Last edited:
Pride of Longbridge day tomorrow from 10.00am - Cofton Park.

Classic comment from a worker at closure...

I'm Gutted...

LOL..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom