Western Mercedes Edinburgh and MBUK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmcb

Car
E53 amg 4matic
A few of you have been asking about my issue with both of these entities.
In summary, I presented my vehicle E53 amg MHEV to Western Mercedes Edinburgh with a known, manufacturer fault around the USB data port.

They had already repaired vehicles with the same fault, under warranty and FOC. Not my car or were they prepared to research their own records. I have previously bern employed by them so know a bit of what this Motor Group do behind the scenes.

Other dealers whom I contacted across the uk recognised the same fault as emanating from the factory and honoured the repair as a “from manufacturer fault”. Not Easter Western Motor Group (EWMG).

Getting nowhere with the front of house service team at Western Mercedes Edinburgh, I ended up writing to their CEO Keith Duncan who chose to ignore my letter. I did get a response from their dealer principal who assured me of a pragmatic solution - obviously which would be to their advantage and in effect was worthless.

Taking my issue up with MBUK CEO Angela Shepherd was also met with a complete no response - I appreciate I’m just one of the little people - but she has staff who write for her so to be ignored is a telling message of her posture in addressing little peoples’ issues.

Eventually I wrote on Twitter details of this sorry tale, including in my message the MB Global address who advised me some 3 weeks ago my matter was being addressed by MBUK as a complaint. Not sure who arranged that but at that stage, I’m my view, that wasn’t the case.

Today MB Global tweeted me privately to say they could see the matter was marked as resolved but couldn’t see the detail. That’s news to me as I’ve heard nothing from MBUK to ask or resolve this matter.

MBUK are even refusing MB Global access to the detail of resolution. Is MBUK out of control??

Please everyone, be aware of my story if you ever have to see help or support from EWMG in the guise of Western Mercedes Edinburgh or MBUK from the current CEO. I’m sure there are better news stories out there, but right now it feels like characters, aptly from the Wild West, runs Western Mercedes Edinburgh.

Jim

Angela Shepherd was the head of MBUK Retail, who don't own Eastern Western. She's now moved to Stellantis. Gary Savage is the CEO of MBUK.

Thanks Dippo much appreciated.

I know the actual ‘owner’ of EWMG and the current MD, now Keith Duncan.

Thanks also for name of MBUK’s current CEO.
Emails to Ms Shepherd didn’t bounce as one would expect if email account closed given her departure. Interesting.

Jim

Can’t you just take the car elsewhere if it’s a warranty claim and you are getting this much hassle ?

I will be in future as was told it was my ‘tough luck’ that the repair would not be presented to warranty part of MB for assessment. Yes, seriously.

You couldn’t make it up.

Not directly related to the OP's issue but we have bought two cars from MB Coldstream (part of the Western group) and both purchases could not have gone better. However we've never used them for servicing or had cause to go back with a vehicle fault.

That’s good to hear Jukie and thanks for sharing.

Sadly this issue was not too difficult for them to resolve: Assess; Research; Agree; Resolve.

I’ve not written all the details here but the rhetoric, lack of care the shocking in your face attitude of local staff, coupled with the high handed corporate arrogance makes a lasting impression. MBUK couldn’t care less either. And it’s interesting how emails to me now see this as endemic in this Motor Group - which doesn’t surprise.

The term “that far up their own **** “
is used by many to describe them.

Jim, I appreciate you're talking about the the group as a whole but out of interest, would you be willing to say which individual location you're having all this trouble with?

No issue if you'd rather not say.

Coldstream, as opposed to the group, were recommended to me by my local indie. They have no professional interest of any description in the group.

Cheers, David.

Hi jukie

Thanks for writing and to be clear: I’m referring wholly to the EWMG MB Newbridge dealership.

HTH

Jim

Used them once, would not use again.

Asked parts department recently for prices, 8 days it took!

Angela Shepherd was the head of MBUK Retail, who don't own Eastern Western. She's now moved to Stellantis. Gary Savage is the CEO of MBUK.
I thought Eastern Western were family-owned...or is that history? Back in the day, 2012 or thereabouts, I had reason to thank them for their help following a severe road accident. I received a 'thank-you' letter from their CEO promising personal assistance in the future if I needed it. Sorry I can't remember the guy's name, but it may have begun with 'L'!

Having said that, an experience with them 18 months ago when I was looking to change my C Class wasn't great and ended up in an Audi!

Ernie

Surprised to hear this, we’ve bought from them since 1987 with no issues with sales, service, after care or warranty work. Always been helpful.

I thought Eastern Western were family-owned...or is that history? Back in the day, 2012 or thereabouts, I had reason to thank them for their help following a severe road accident. I received a 'thank-you' letter from their CEO promising personal assistance in the future if I needed it. Sorry I can't remember the guy's name, but it may have begun with 'L'!

Having said that, an experience with them 18 months ago when I was looking to change my C Class wasn't great and ended up in an Audi!

Ernie
Brian Watts was the family owner. Lost its way in recent years. Began to believe they were invincible and treat customers terribly.
Keith Duncan is new MD. Yet to prove he has it in my view and seems to view people as a road to make money unlike BW. He cared.

Surprised to hear this, we’ve bought from them since 1987 with no issues with sales, service, after care or warranty work. Always been helpful.
Lucky you. Hope it continues for you.

Brian Watts was the family owner. Lost its way in recent years. Began to believe they were invincible and treat customers terribly.
Keith Duncan is new MD. Yet to prove he has it in my view and seems to view people as a road to make money unlike BW. He cared.
Apologies I meant Dougie Brown. Sorry.

Lucky you. Hope it continues for you.
I bought a 204 Estate with the M274 engine from them and an EML popped on due to what was clearly a thermostat failure. Although the car was still under MB's warranty, they did everything they could to avoid fixing it. I ended up getting it sorted properly at MB Grangemouth. They also tried the old trick of pads and discs...at the car's FIRST service, 12000 miles. They haven't serviced a car of mine since.

Ernie

I bought a 204 Estate with the M274 engine from them and an EML popped on due to what was clearly a thermostat failure. Although the car was still under MB's warranty, they did everything they could to avoid fixing it. I ended up getting it sorted properly at MB Grangemouth. They also tried the old trick of pads and discs...at the car's FIRST service, 12000 miles. They haven't serviced a car of mine since.

Ernie
Their avoidance tactics are many and varied and I’d hope MB Daimler Global are seeing and hearing of the disquiet from owners of their marque. MBUK don’t seem to care either and appear out of control from them.

Quick update: both MBUK and Western Mercedes Edinburgh refuse to communicate or engage with me or MB Global.
They MBUK claimed to MB Global the matter had been resolved - not to my knowledge as the complainant.
When I assured MB Global that I’d not heard from either of them, they took it upon themselves to ask MBUK for details.
MBUK have so far refused to speak to them either!
Out of control? And allegedly a premier marque.
Next move is to Scottish motor trade association for their consideration.

Update:
Western Mercedes Edinburgh or Eastern Western Motor Group continually refused to communicate with me leaving MBUK to work the response. This seems to be the way this shower now operate under current leadership and direction. Changed days and much for the worse.

MBUK offered compensation and then increased compensation after a bizarre and poorly crafted email was sent to me from allegedly a senior customer service rep working on behalf of their Exec Team seeking resolution 3-4 weeks after notes to me from MB Global saying they’d been told the matter had been resolved - I thought the initial email from MBUK was a first, internal draft it was so bad.

It was acknowledged that Western Mercedes Newbridge had failed and although assurances were given that staff feedback would take place, I very much doubt it. They’ll no doubt laugh in the face of honest criticism.

MBUK showed no interest in the extended warranty I purchased for the vehicle, they indicated it was not something they could support as it’s a Third Party product and service.

I leave current and potential customers of Western Mercedes to ponder the content herein as regards the quality of customer service and support they receive and should expect to receive. I know what I’m now doing.

Jim

Hi , I was chastised a couple of years ago about the future of MB in the UK.

Maybe a little deserved but I was offered a selection of new unregistered cars a few weeks ago.

The service from Holland is not better with issues that I had with my car Mercedes me not working : I sorted the problem I think and told them so : no reply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom