Wet feet when opening door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Farmer boy

SUPPORTER
Car
S205 250 AMG Line
After it has rained if I open my rear passenger door of my S205 I need to step back as a large amount of water comes out and soaks my feet. Inside of car bone dry. I have had the door card off and all dry inside. Used a flexible curtain wire on all drain holes at the base of the door. Removed and replaced the window seal into which the glass drops when window lowered. Checked both door frame seal and door seal for dirt and cuts all fine. Seal is in correct position and correctly fixed. Did find that the bottom of the seal around the door was wet but bone dry on vertical and top section. Have parked the car sloping up, sloping down and on the flat, still letting water out in all positions. No problem on any of the other doors. Anyone with suggestions for next step? Not causing any real problems other than to my OCD. Just have to stand back when door opened.

Just to check, are you in the belief that this is water inside the door, that is released when you open the door?
Following on from this, are the drain holes covered/blocked by the rubber door seals either on the door, or on the door opening, therefore preventing water from draining out of the door when shut?

I know you said "all dry inside"; does this mean inside the door itself, if you put your hand in to the bottom between the inner and outer door skin? Or do you mean the car, or door card itself is dry?
Do you think that there could be water inside the door, but it's difficult to check for sure that the inside is dry? Or have you made 100% sure inside the door skins is dry by wiping, for example, a red/green/blue napkin along the bottom of the internal door seam? (a strong coloured napkin will show up a wet patch more easily that white kitchen roll for example).

I would expect this is water inside the door prevented from escaping by the door seal when shut, and my view (ex-corrosion engineer) is that water should be able to drain out of the door.
Water in the doors cannot be 'normal'. It will eventually lead to rust in the panel, and even if you've shifted the car on before that, you have the window motor in that void, and the humidity can cause premature failure of the motor.

Worth having a look on the Skoda forum for a similar problem and potential resolution:
Water in doors?
and the Skoda water trapped in door mega thread:
Water collecting under door

Just to check, are you in the belief that this is water inside the door, that is released when you open the door?
Following on from this, are the drain holes covered/blocked by the rubber door seals either on the door, or on the door opening, therefore preventing water from draining out of the door when shut?

I know you said "all dry inside"; does this mean inside the door itself, if you put your hand in to the bottom between the inner and outer door skin? Or do you mean the car, or door card itself is dry?
Do you think that there could be water inside the door, but it's difficult to check for sure that the inside is dry? Or have you made 100% sure inside the door skins is dry by wiping, for example, a red/green/blue napkin along the bottom of the internal door seam? (a strong coloured napkin will show up a wet patch more easily that white kitchen roll for example).

I would expect this is water inside the door prevented from escaping by the door seal when shut, and my view (ex-corrosion engineer) is that water should be able to drain out of the door.
Water in the doors cannot be 'normal'. It will eventually lead to rust in the panel, and even if you've shifted the car on before that, you have the window motor in that void, and the humidity can cause premature failure of the motor.

Worth having a look on the Skoda forum for a similar problem and potential resolution:
Water in doors?
Thanks for your post. I stripped out the door again at the weekend. The W205 has a rigid plastic liner behind the door card. All electrics are mounted on the face of the liner away from the recess for the glass. The liner is firmly held in lace by several boats and has a mastic seal behind it so protecting all electrics. With this liner removed I was able to investigate the metal inside the door. All bone dry no condensation at all. The drain holes at the bottom of the door are all clear and when swobbed showed mo moisture. Reassembled the whole door still puzzled. The door seal was slightly wet at the lower leading edge with some water within the channel of the seam. Further investigation and comparison of the seals at the other side of the door showed a slight difference in the seating of a rubber seal beneath the lower chrome window trim. Using a plastic pry stick I pushed the seal on the wet door into the same position as the dry door. We now have had two nights of heavy rain and no problems! The offending seal seems to have directed the water into the channel made by the very good door seal within which it pooled until the door was opened.

Hopefully a result. Good to now all inside is dry and really good to know that the design really protects the electrics from a faulty window seal.

Water in doors?
Thanks for your post. I stripped out the door again at the weekend. The W205 has a rigid plastic liner behind the door card. All electrics are mounted on the face of the liner away from the recess for the glass. The liner is firmly held in lace by several boats and has a mastic seal behind it so protecting all electrics. With this liner removed I was able to investigate the metal inside the door. All bone dry no condensation at all. The drain holes at the bottom of the door are all clear and when swobbed showed mo moisture. Reassembled the whole door still puzzled. The door seal was slightly wet at the lower leading edge with some water within the channel of the seam. Further investigation and comparison of the seals at the other side of the door showed a slight difference in the seating of a rubber seal beneath the lower chrome window trim. Using a plastic pry stick I pushed the seal on the wet door into the same position as the dry door. We now have had two nights of heavy rain and no problems! The offending seal seems to have directed the water into the channel made by the very good door seal within which it pooled until the door was opened.

Hopefully a result. Good to now all inside is dry and really good to know that the design really protects the electrics from a faulty window seal.

The small seal arrowed had slightly slipped leaving a small opening which the water wend down then was trapped by the door seal when closed.

the seal at the bottom of the door circled in yellow seems to have caught the water till the door opened.

in the end a simple no cost fix. Glad I did not take it to the dealers as they would probably replaced all the seals at £70 a go plus fitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom