Wet garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhantomF4

Car
R230 Thulite Red
I’m looking for suggestions on how to prevent flooding into our garage during really heavy rain showers.

We have a double garage with a full width drain in front of the door which usually works fine but can get overwhelmed at times.

As the door drops into a slot in the concrete I have Raised the outside threshold with a concrete ramp but it’s not quite enough. I really need ideas on how to make the door watertight against those intense rainstorms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m looking for suggestions on how to prevent flooding into our garage during really heavy rain showers.

We have a double garage with a full width drain in front of the door which usually works fine but can get overwhelmed at times.

As the door drops into a slot in the concrete I have Raised the outside threshold with a concrete ramp but it’s not quite enough. I really need ideas on how to make the door watertight against those intense rainstorms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
How much do you want to spend?
Its obvious the drain is too small, if your soil is good ie will transport lots of water then you can change the driveway to a porous concrete with a resin topping, that means the whole driveway is a drain and water will not sit or collect on it at all, I worked on this product many years ago and its now finally starting to become relevant in todays climate, many concrete company's now sell a version of this product, if the soil is poor such as clay you will need to insert drains under the surface to transport the water away , its pretty simple you have plastic pipes with lots of holes embedded within a stone substrate leading to the sewer
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well photo's might well help,is it a stand alone garage or integral,do you have surface water drains,or does surface water go to soak aways whats the driveway made off,I would suggest that making a garage door watertight is very difficult,best to stop water getting too it,via better drainage.

Put a rubber edge on the bottom of the garage door.

I bought this last year from Ebay. Works great, no water ingress £15. I have a vertical electric door which clamps down on it. The raised ridge stops any water. One of my better buys. Type in
RUBBER Garage Door Floor Threshold Weather Draught Excluder Seal + FREE Adhesive

I have an ACO RainDrain across the front of my garage for this reason., and it has collected a vast volume of water on recent downpours.

Initially it was discharging to a soak away, but in heavy storms this didn't take sufficient volume, so I connected it to an underground tank which I now use to water the garden.

NJSS

Pictures will help. If paved, you need a bigger drain, if unpaved, you could probably rent a skid loaded and do some grading

Well photo's might well help,is it a stand alone garage or integral,do you have surface water drains,or does surface water go to soak aways whats the driveway made off,I would suggest that making a garage door watertight is very difficult,best to stop water getting too it,via better drainage.
It’s an integral double garage with a full width drain linked into the rainwater system by the original builders. All has been great until a flood a couple of years ago so we had the whole system jetted through. We looked at a variety of options but our house sits on top of bedrock so any excavation work to increase drainage capacity will be massively expensive and pretty hard going. Added to that, part of the drainage system passes under an extension at the rear of the house…..

Given that it only happens during extreme rain conditions I’m looking for a simple fix like improving threshold sealing rather than major engineering works.

I bought this last year from Ebay. Works great, no water ingress £15. I have a vertical electric door which clamps down on it. The raised ridge stops any water. One of my better buys. Type in
RUBBER Garage Door Floor Threshold Weather Draught Excluder Seal + FREE Adhesive
This sounds like a possible solution, thanks for the info 😊

Build a moat!

Reactions: Ted

This sounds like a possible solution, thanks for the info 😊

I had one of these when my door was letting water in. Unfortunately, it didn't really help much as the water still came in round the edges and sides.

I have an ACO RainDrain across the front of my garage for this reason., and it has collected a vast volume of water on recent downpours.

I ended up fitting a full width one of these drains just inside the door opening which joined into my main fresh water drainage, along with extra downpipes from the guttering. This has had the desired effect and the garage has been completely dry since. Not a ten minute job but very satisfying when completed. : -

Drain 01.jpg

Drain 03.jpg

Here’s some pics which I hope may clarify things.

For reference the concrete threshold outside the door is roughly 60mm higher than the drain and the drain cleaned very frequently. Following the last flood all the water outside had drained away within fifteen minutes of the rain stopping.

Attachments

• 0CDD251E-8752-41D4-A76C-6935F4D2E653.jpeg
    0CDD251E-8752-41D4-A76C-6935F4D2E653.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 1E7FDB78-166D-40E6-B095-E33AD880048E.jpeg
    1E7FDB78-166D-40E6-B095-E33AD880048E.jpeg
    726.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 989AE069-9A92-494B-B44B-D008F333C1BC.jpeg
    989AE069-9A92-494B-B44B-D008F333C1BC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • 051FEFAF-40CE-442C-8DC9-81D2A691E9BC.jpeg
    051FEFAF-40CE-442C-8DC9-81D2A691E9BC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 149EA221-2C22-411D-A528-2B1684775E83.jpeg
    149EA221-2C22-411D-A528-2B1684775E83.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
When there is a heavy flow of water is the ACO simply overwhelmed and the water passing over it?

If this is the case you may need a second Acco "upstream" to collect some of the flow, or a sump connected to the first Acco with a submersible pump moving the water somewhere else.

I was lucky when the flow from my garage Acco was too great for a soak away I was able to clean out & connect to an old septic tank.

NJSS

Could you put a small bund (think that is the name) in front of the Aco drain only when the rain is heavy to divert the water away.
Any water that gets past will be dealt with by the Aco/drain system and should be well within its capacity.
Obviously no good if you aren’t at home when the rain falls.

When there is a heavy flow of water is the ACO simply overwhelmed and the water passing over it?

If this is the case you may need a second Acco "upstream" to collect some of the flow, or a sump connected to the first Acco with a submersible pump moving the water somewhere else.

I was lucky when the flow from my garage Acco was too great for a soak away I was able to clean out & connect to an old septic tank.

NJSS
Yes that’s exactly the problem. Usually the drain is more than able to cope but perhaps a second one would help for those odd extreme events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom