Wet garage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would be re-levelling the floor in the garage so that it has a fall running from the back of the garage to the front. Easy to do and guaranteed no pooling.

I was lucky when the flow from my garage Acco was too great for a soak away I was able to clean out & connect to an old septic tank.

FWIW we were advised that a setup like that now has to be registered with the Environment Agency and can involve enforced upgrading, particularly if there are watercourses nearby.

FWIW we were advised that a setup like that now has to be registered with the Environment Agency and can involve enforced upgrading, particularly if there are watercourses nearby.
is the drive falling towards the door looks like it in the pics, you need more drainage simple as, that little Acco is too small the concrete I showed earlier would do it and give you a nice looking drive at the same time plus it will never ice over water cant sit on it long enough to freeze.
Other options raise the garage floor but you will still get a pool it will just take longer to build up and it becomes a trip hazard

If your garage door sits in a slot as mentioned then any water beating against your garage door has no option but to run down the door and pool behind the 60mm ramp that you have built (You've built a dam). As I mentioned earlier if it was my garage I would be re-levelling the floor to make sure it had a fall from back to front then I would also grind some slots in that ramp with a fall into the ACO drain to let out any water that had entered the garage.
The sloping garage floor would prevent flooding and the slots would give any water that got in a way out.

If your garage door sits in a slot as mentioned then any water beating against your garage door has no option but to run down the door and pool behind the 60mm ramp that you have built (You've built a dam). As I mentioned earlier if it was my garage I would be re-levelling the floor to make sure it had a fall from back to front then I would also grind some slots in that ramp with a fall into the ACO drain to let out any water that had entered the garage.
The sloping garage floor would prevent flooding and the slots would give any water that got in a way out.
The theory sounds ok but the garage floor already has a slight fall and the water is overtopping the ramp because the drain can’t take it away fast enough. In that situation cutting slots would only allow more water under the door. The door’s outer surface rarely gets wet due to it being recessed so the flooding comes from the drive sloping down towards the garage.

The fact that it’s only flooded twice since the ramp was installed shows it works to an extent as we get heavy rain here quite frequently.

The only thing preventing me increasing the height of the ramp is how steep it would need to be given the proximity of the drain to the door. I’m thinking about creating a lip inside the garage instead as there’s room to create a gentle slope.

Another option may be to put some neoprene packing in the bottom of the slot so the door can compress it when closed?

Thanks though I really appreciate your comments.

Can you enlarge on this please? I do have a septic tank and infiltration system which is covered by an Environment Agency permit, however it's never been suggested that my rainwater system needs a permit.

I am capturing surface water & collecting it in underground tanks; it is then all distributed over my .75 acre garden to water plants & lawns. I'm saving mains water & not allowing surface water to escape from my property which seems to me to be desirable, rather than the contrary!

NJSS

Can you enlarge on this please? I do have a septic tank and infiltration system which is covered by an Environment Agency permit, however it's never been suggested that my rainwater system needs a permit.

I am capturing surface water & collecting it in underground tanks; it is then all distributed over my .75 acre garden to water plants & lawns. I'm saving mains water & not allowing surface water to escape from my property which seems to me to be desirable, rather than the contrary!

NJSS

We had a survey done last month on a property with an almost identical setup (rainwater from a barn apparently being routed to an old/disused septic tank nearby), and this got flagged as an issue due to new EA legislation. I'd guess that using an old septic tank is the problem as this would presumably still contain some residual waste and is specifically designed to discharge water out to the environment. I imagine an actual sealed underground water tank would be fine (but you'd then have the potential issue of it filling up of course).

Many thanks.

That's cleared things up for me. When I bought the house some 15 years ago the tank had been unused since the early 50s. I had the residue in it analysed by a septic tank emptying company & was told that it was so old that it could be dug out and used on my garden, which is what happened.

The tank was beautifully plastered internally, so I had it pressure washed and have used it as a storage tank ever since. The overflow, which is rarely, if ever used, goes to a soak away under my lawn.

NJSS

Most of the drains ench with zero you see in front of many garages are not as comprehensive as the one Daveenty is showing us . Many are just drain parts dug into a trench with zero provision for a proper soakaway.

Many thanks.

That's cleared things up for me. When I bought the house some 15 years ago the tank had been unused since the early 50s. I had the residue in it analysed by a septic tank emptying company & was told that it was so old that it could be dug out and used on my garden, which is what happened.

The tank was beautifully plastered internally, so I had it pressure washed and have used it as a storage tank ever since. The overflow, which is rarely, if ever used, goes to a soak away under my lawn.

NJSS

Sounds good. In reality nobody is going to know or care until you sell the property, if then.

We were more concerned by the discovery of a 130' deep well shaft in the garden :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom