Wet lap :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gadgetmaster

Car
E220 W211, CLK 240 W209, MG Midget, Skoda Yeti (when my wife lets me borrow it)
Advice needed please. Parked the new-to-me CLK nose down on the drive last night, and it threw it down. Drove away this morning, and as the car moved, a pint or so of water sloshed onto the passenger seat (luckily, her indoor was still...indoors). Water seems to have come from the plastic covering just above the windscreen. I am suspecting a blocked drain tube, but can anyone give confirmation, and advice on where/how to access this and unblock it?
Cheers all.

Common issue on the W202 & W208. Any decent garage can silicon sealant it to stop it happening again.

It collects there and when it reaches a certain depth flows over and comes into to the cabin.

Update...double checked where the water was coming from and it is actually from the header rail of the hood, not directly above the windscreen as I initially thought. Not sure how it is getting in there though :-(

Likely the header rail rubber seal not under enough compression to seal properly.

Likely the header rail rubber seal not under enough compression to seal properly.

Thanks for that, it sounds like a definite possibility. Any idea how I can resolve this?

Short of getting a new seal, probably nothing.
The existing seal has probably flattened down over time.

Short of getting a new seal, probably nothing.
The existing seal has probably flattened down over time.
Sounds a bit like the old boot seal on my MG. Guess I will be checking part numbers, or local independents

The roof latches may need adjusting to close tighter onto the seal. On the 129 there is a specific measurement between the front of the roof and the header rail (circa 5mm IIRC), I would expect the 209 would have a similar arrangement with a defined value.

The other possibility is that the drain points within the seal for the header rail are blocked and not allowing water to drain away.

Not exactly the problem but this is a rather informative video from top hydraulics on the C209 Hood.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks Doodle. I am restoring the steering wheel today, as it was badly worn, but will check the drain points once the wheel is all dry and sealed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom