Whaley Bridge Dam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well the crazy thing is the dam is safe,the lead edge that is underwater is fine the core is ok and so is the rear of the dam except on one edge where water that came over the top lifted cracked concrete and removed the filling the raf have put back the filling,but these dams are not supposed to have water coming over the top and so the people in that towm could go back to their homes,but once you get into this rabbit in the headlight situation,it will take about 3 weeks before somebody says you can go back at your own risk.

"The remuneration during the year for Richard Parry, Chief Executive, comprised a salary of £184,784 (2017/18: £183,105), pension allowance of £15,928 (2017/18: £15,784), car allowance of £9,768 (2017/18: £9,768), payment in lieu of previous years’ banked holidays not taken £2,135 (2017/18: £Nil) and benefits in kind of £1,540 (2017/18: £1,434), totalling £214,155 (2017/18: £210,091). There was one employee whose remuneration during the year was higher than the chief executive. Stuart Mills, Chief Investment Officer, received a salary of £168,875 (2017/18: £167,133), pension allowance of £14,557 (2017/18: £14,407), car allowance of £9,768 (2017/18: £9,768), performance related pay of £33,575 (2017/18: £26,385) and benefits in kind of £2,217 (2017/18: £2,215), totalling £228,992 (2017/18: £219,908)."

It's all here
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/medi...al-report-and-accounts-2018-2019.pdf?v=f4ac07
Is Richard Parry a civil engineer?

Jesus, you need to read this boy-child’s CV. This guy shouldn’t be in charge of a Lego set.

Last edited:
This is a valuable site for learning what is going on with our roads locally,
better known (locally) for roads closed due to weather (snow in't winter), but now it's helping me decide not to travel toward M/cr or Stockport (until the A6 is open again).
With everyone using the Cat & Fiddle (A537) to go vaguely North it's choked with the massive number of wagons ferrying aggregate, as well as t'other traffic of course.

There's a bit more info there also.

Buxton Weather – Live Weather in Buxton Derbyshire, UK

It seems to be pretty widespread, with landslides due to rainfall in the West of Scotland taking out the railway line north of Crainlarich .

Left Ayrshire in torrential rain early hours of this morning , to arrive in Inverness in glorious sunshine , which lasted until teatime at which point the sky clouded over and we had an almighty thunderstorm.

Thunderstorms after heavy rain causes landslides

I may need to fire up and check the generator when I get back .

Some good news
The dam is now at 25% capacity and the level is down 8.4 metres 0.4 metres more than what was deemed safe. Tremendous feat of emergency engineering by many agencies-- fate was perhaps kind when the predicted rainfall over the weekend never materialised.
Water level target reached at Whaley Bridge dam

Reactions: 219
Some good news
The dam is now at 25% capacity and the level is down 8.4 metres 0.4 metres more than what was deemed safe. Tremendous feat of emergency engineering by many agencies-- fate was perhaps kind when the predicted rainfall over the weekend never materialised.
Water level target reached at Whaley Bridge dam
It was a great effort , although I was amazed to read the other day that they had 23 high volume pumps operating, which I guess must have been just about every one in the UK .

In Scotland , SFRS have something like 3 or 4 scattered around the country , and the refinery in Grangemouth have one of their own .

The most I’ve seen was two working together , funnily enough when a much smaller dam just outside Kilbirnie in North Ayrshire was in danger a few years back .

D
Thanks for posting that Grober, it was a fascinating video. The speed of deployment and power of the pumping was super impressive.

Deployment is pretty quick , but making up the hose afterwards can be somewhat slower ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom