What’s happened to my wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for the replies gents.

The wheels were purchased from a forum member on here:

Mercedes fitment VOSSEN VFS-2 20" alloys

They were sold and bought as Genuine Vossen wheels. They were original in a hyper silver finish with almost a machined/diamond cut finish to the face pf the spokes.

The tyre valve has been removed, the nit sticking through where the valve should be is attached to a hook for drying purposes.

I think reading a couple of the posts and the link posted by Grober, it is as a result of it being gravity cast.

Some epics from the original advert:

IMG_2227.jpg IMG_2225.jpg IMG_2224.jpg IMG_2226.jpg

After a clean:

IMG_2449.jpeg IMG_2457.jpeg IMG_2448.jpeg IMG_3033.jpeg IMG_2455.jpeg

The wheels are Vossen VFS-2 (I think I am right in saying these are a forged wheel??)

Taken from the website:

The flow forming process maintains the integrity of the design while improving grain-structure of the aluminum, creating a stronger, lighter, and thinner forged-like rim barrel. Flow forming is the answer to the market’s demand for lightweight wheels that are more durable and enhance overall vehicle driving performance.

No, idea if that helps :dk:

I am confident that they are genuine vossen wheels. I have messaged the member to confirm (but I appreciate he doesn't not have to reply as I should have confirmed from the outset oppose to assuming :doh:)

Well your own photo's prove the wheel restorers have messed up big time,suspect you will need to have a serious word with them.

With an open grain structure like that they are not forged wheels [I believe Vossen forged wheels may have serial numbers machined on the rim?] they may be what they call Hybrid -Forged HF-1/2 which are low pressure cast wheels that have their rims heat treated to locally increase density and strength.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm with zipdip, there are areas in your original pictures that are clearly diamond cut and are now "textured".

I'm with zipdip, there are areas in your original pictures that are clearly diamond cut and are now "textured".
I agree here. The refurbishers may have a good reputation but it doesn't prevent screwing up. Good job you have those detailed original photos which should be enough evidence. One wonders why they continued to blast the wheels when they should have easily seen there was a problem with the finish.

Taking the above comments into consideration, am I right in thinking we are stating it is human error which has caused this oppose to the wheel manufacture process? As in, an over zealous operator using the wrong type of media blast or incorrect technique applied?

Were all the photographs featured in this post from the vendor?

I think reading a couple of the posts and the link posted by Grober, it is as a result of it being gravity cast.

Some epics from the original advert:

View attachment 88008 View attachment 88009 View attachment 88010 View attachment 88011

After a clean:

View attachment 88012 View attachment 88013 View attachment 88014 View attachment 88015 View attachment 88016

Looks like caustic contamination to me. I had a set of monoblocks that paint stripper didn't touch so soaked them in caustic (doh !) Fooked them right up. Ended up sanding down and hand mirror polished. Looked just like yours.

The first 4 are, where they are sown on a white CLS.

I had an alternative theory but your reply kills it dead.

Just an update, have heard back from Vossen.........apparently this is normal when stripping a wheel!

So it’s not an operator error or strong acidic paint remover, it’s a sh!te cast. Who would have thought?

;-)

Disappointing to learn.

Their wheels aren't cheap either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom