What’s happened to my wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
they may be what they call Hybrid -Forged HF-1/2 which are low pressure cast wheels that have their rims heat treated to locally increase density and strength.

They are indeed Hybrid Forged as confirmed by Vossen.

Did you get any info from Vossen about their recommendations regarding applying a new finish? You cannot be the first customer to raise this issue

So it’s not an operator error or strong acidic paint remover, it’s a sh!te cast. Who would have thought?

;-)

Guess the upside is (if I can call it that), there is nothing untoward :)

Disappointing to learn.

Their wheels aren't cheap either.

Completely agree John, I must admit I did expect better quality, just as well I didn't buy them new.

Hoping the refurb company live up to their reputation and I end up with a set of wheels I am happy with!

Did you get any info from Vossen about their recommendations regarding applying a new finish? You cannot be the first customer to raise this issue

It was simply to re powder coat them! TBH, their customer service (where I directed my enqs) seem to answer any queries with the absolut minimum of information, literally a few words, a sentence if I am lucky :wallbash:

Completely agree John, I must admit I did expect better quality, just as well I didn't buy them new.

Hmm... similarly for me as I was considering the CV3s when I had my 55!

img_2457-jpeg.88013

Abb, it looks like the wheels showed signs of that mottled/porous effect prior to you having them stripped. First noticed on the right hand spoke, but upon closer inspection it looks like it is the whole wheel apart from the polished part of the spoke and the polished rim.
As mentioned above, its a shame when you spend top dollar you expect a better quality of metal. It sounds like Vossen have just given it a big fat :dk:
Disappointing.

Reactions: Abb
As an update, one of the wheels has had a thin layer of powder coat applied, flattened/sanded down and another coat applied. I haven't seen the finish yet, but am told it it's really good.
My dilemma now is, the original plan was to have them done in silver (was initially going a shade of grey but bottled it, albeit it was a nice contrast, as I felt the black would be too much, and the silver perhaps too blingy/shiney) as it was closer to the OEM wheel, but having seen the pics, I like the anthracite.

I know it's my choice at the end of the day, but am putting it out there to the panel :)

Currently look like this (they are not finished):

IMG_6826.jpeg IMG_6825.jpeg

Some pics from the net showing them fitted to a CLS:

IMG_2334.jpeg Back end.jpg CLS Vossens.jpg

Go for it pal - as you know I’m not a fan of silver wheels per se - that colour will really match the bodywork.

Another here favouring the darker shade.

I think they work really well in that colour.

I'd be happy with it.

Vossen have decent wheels but Terrible service.

I would not purchase from them again.

Darker for me too.

Ensure that they get the inner rim portion correct - not good in the photos (appreciate not yet finished).

If you have dechromed your car then anthracite is a good choice. DO NOT go with black - it will spoil the car.

Silver works if you are traditional whilst shade of grey/anthracite gives a more modern look.

Your choice of wheel centres/caps will also make a noticeable contribution.

Outer face all sanded now by hand and ready for the inners to receive the same treatment, before powder.

IMG_6839.jpeg

Update....if I am being honest, I genuinely did not know or what to expect of the finished result when the refurb company contacted me telling me they were ready to collect.

Collected the wheels complete with tyres fitted so are ready to fit Albeit not 100% perfect, they have far exceeded my expectations.

IMG_3570.jpeg IMG_3573.jpeg IMG_3574.jpeg IMG_3575.jpeg IMG_3571.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3570.jpeg
    IMG_3570.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 1
Went to fit them straight on hours after collecting them (because I am patient like that! :D) only to find the OEM bolts were too short for the front. No problem I thought, took some measurements figured I needed bolts with an extra 5mm thread length (making it 35mm thread length), no problem just order some new bolts.....but I cannot figure out if I need to buy seated/radius or tapered/cone.

It seems a general rule of thumb is aftermarket use tapered whist OEM used seated. I appreciate the importance of getting this right, can anyone help confirm which I would need?

Have emailed Vossen with no reply as of yet.

SURELY YOU CAN TELL FROM THE OLD BOLTS EVEN IF THEY ARE TOO SHORT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom