What’s happening to our language

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was a big fan and ardent follower of Hitchens, until his death in 2011. He left us with many gems, and in terms of language, few better than his observations on, the mostly young person's use of Uptalk:

The Other L-Word, Vanity Fair

You will have noticed the way in which “uptalk” has also been spreading among the young. “Uptalk” can be defined as an ostensibly declarative sentence that is uttered on a rising note of apology and that ends with an implied question mark. An example: the statement “I go to Columbia University?,” which seems to say, “If that’s all right with you.”

Just as the humble, unassuming, assenting “O.K.” has deposed the more affirmative “Yes,” so the little cringe and hesitation and approximation of “like” are a help to young people who are struggling to negotiate the shoals and rapids of ethnic identity, the street, and general correctness. To report that “he was like, Yeah, whatever” is to struggle to say “He said” while minimizing the risk of commitment. (This could be why young black people don’t seem to employ “like” quite as often, having more challenging vernaculars such as “Nome sane?”—which looks almost Latin.)

Nome sane?

I've noticed some people actually typing the question mark at the end of a sentence that makes a statement.

It's commonplace in the media too.

Football pundits are notorious for butchering the English language and one Monday morning some years ago BBC Radio 5 invited listeners to send in examples from that weekend's sports reports.

The standard of competition was very high (or should that be depressingly low ?) but in a hard-fought contest the eventual winner was adjudged to be ex-Everton and England midfielder Peter Reid whose in-depth technical analysis culminated in "'E done the 'keeper brilliant".

I was a big fan and ardent follower of Hitchens, until his death in 2011. He left us with many gems, and in terms of language, few better than his observations on, the mostly young person's use of Uptalk:

Some sections of the population use the F word rather more frequently. Which annoys me because:

I'm not ******* sure what the ******* point of inserting the ******* word "*******" as a ******* adjective or ******* adverb in front of just about every ******* noun and ******* verb actually ******** is. But some ******* people seem to ******** talk this ******* way all the ******* time.​

I used to bother to try to correct others' (mis)use of the English language; nowadays I mostly don't bother, because I would be forever typing...

I'm no English scholar myself, so I can't claim any knowledge of the subject beyond the basics.

I tend not to get quite so irritated by errors made in the normal course of exchanges on the Forum - it is not always easy to type accurately on a phone screen for example.

What really gets to me are the howlers committed by professional wordsmiths. Many years ago, I remember reading 'Car' magazine and admiring the prose written by the regular contributors: L.J.K. Setright, Ronald Barker, George Bishop et al.

These days, there is no guarantee that what is printed in magazines will show any evidence that someone has even proof-read the content.

I've realised that my written English has deteriorated considerably these past few years and find, myself, putting, commas, in all the wrong places - dashes everywhere and not least, incorrectly spelling the simplest of wards. I blame it on Google of course which in lieu of me being bothered, provides answers on a range of matters. Perhaps if they started charging for searches, we'd all delay the onset of dementia for a little bit longer.

I've realised that my written English has deteriorated considerably these past few years and find, myself, putting, commas, in all the wrong places - dashes everywhere and not least, incorrectly spelling the simplest of wards. I blame it on Google of course which in lieu of me being bothered, provides answers on a range of matters. Perhaps if they started charging for searches, we'd all delay the onset of dementia for a little bit longer.

I wonder how many of us actually write letters by hand nowadays? (Apart from greeting cards)

I wonder how many of us actually write letters by hand nowadays? (Apart from greeting cards)

I don't know if it is still the case but at one time Ryanair would only accept customer complaints in the form of a letter. They knew perfectly well that irate punters would be more than willing ring up or fire off angry texts / e-mails but a great many wouldn't bother to put pen to paper, write a letter and post it.

A simple and effective way to significantly reduce the number of customer complaints....

I don't know if it is still the case but at one time Ryanair would only accept customer complaints in the form of a letter. They knew perfectly well that irate punters would be more than willing ring up or fire off angry texts / e-mails but a great many wouldn't bother to put pen to paper, write a letter and post it.

A simple and effective way to significantly reduce the number of customer complaints....

I wouldn’t have thought Ryanair would get any customer complaints. Their service is always just 100% :D

I wouldn’t have thought Ryanair would get any customer complaints. Their service is always just 100% :D

Out of all the carriers, Ryanair are statistically least likely to be subjected to a terrorist attack. Apparently terrorists want to blow themselves up and go to paradise, not 50 miles away from paradise.........

Then there's 'I should of done'..........

That one infuriates me too. Sadly substituting "should of" instead of "should have" is extensively used by one of my favourite authors, Elmore Leonard. Given how much I enjoy his distinctive style, I've decided to let him off this one indiscretion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom