What’s inside a Tesla engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I never found out; I couldn't make it past the first minute of pointless garbage.

Yes an engine has moving parts and explodes a liquid vapour, a motor its an electrical device that rotates due to electromagnetic forces, it always grates me how the Americans call and engine a MODER! (translated to motor)

Its juts not...

I think what's interesting to me in seeing all the electrical gubbins is that apart from the big cogs it does absolutely nothing for me. Compared to say looking at a crankshaft or pistons or generally big lumps of metal that whirr around powered by small explosions. And i think this is why EV's irrespective of their performance or eco-friendliness are of very little interest to me. Maybe this is because i have been conditioned from an early age that a spluttering, noisy, polluting engine is actually a "Good Thing". Listening to a tuned engine with a high lift cam that barely ticks over under 4k rpm makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Not so an electric motor, however powerful. I wonder if the later generation bought up with far more modern tech get the same emotional feelings from a "Tuned" circuit board or big wires/magnets or similar?

I Agree ChrisHGTV... EV's are un questionably fast or even fast than some petrol cars. But speed isn't everything. A car should be something that makes you feel a certain way, the same way your favourite music makes you feel. An EV is souless..

Petrol and even diesel cars have a certain way they drive, react, behave.. Its character.. Its the noise, the theatre, the way it delivers its power and how you react to it.. They are more than the sum of their parts.

An EV is really just an electric motor that runs faster the harder you press the pedal.. It has no soul... it is.. the sum of its parts and nothing more... 0-60 in 3 seconds of dreary boredom...

I Agree ChrisHGTV... EV's are un questionably fast or even fast than some petrol cars. But speed isn't everything. A car should be something that makes you feel a certain way, the same way your favourite music makes you feel. An EV is souless..

Petrol and even diesel cars have a certain way they drive, react, behave.. Its character.. Its the noise, the theatre, the way it delivers its power and how you react to it.. They are more than the sum of their parts.

An EV is really just an electric motor that runs faster the harder you press the pedal.. It has no soul... it is.. the sum of its parts and nothing more... 0-60 in 3 seconds of dreary boredom...
Yes and the smell! Castrol R vs ....the smell of burning dust/fluff? I do wonder though whether younger folk (well younger than me - i'm 48) get as much pleasure from the whole electrons moving about thing...

I skimmed through it without the sound turned up, my only thoughts were ...does this guy not own a few pry bars ? what's with the big screwdriver,? I know it is not going back together but...

Oh, and the bit where the head flew off the mallet , How I wished that had been a lump hammer , the steel head would have made it all the way to the windshield of the car behind.

That might have made it more watchable. :)🔨

I do have a bit of a fondness for that funny burnt ozone smell that comes from electrics sometimes though. Reminds me of the time that i destroyed a commodore amiga in my pre teen days knocking the rf unit out of the back of it when my dad walked in whilst i was playing strip poker pro with the at the time amazing HAM graphics :)

Yes and the smell! Castrol R vs ....the smell of burning dust/fluff? I do wonder though whether younger folk (well younger than me - i'm 48) get as much pleasure from the whole electrons moving about thing...
We're all getting disconnected from the petrol and oil moving about thing.

I blame those massive plastic engine covers and drivers who've never had to cleaned the contacts on their distributor)

Two points:

Company EV owners are "back to the Seventies" in paying virtually NOTHING for their company cars, fuel and road tax. Nada. Zip.

Beyond mere money, the acceleration is insane: the basic Tesla rep mobile outperforms AMG.

(Build quality is rubbish, as it the overall quality feel, but you get my point...)

maxresdefault.jpeg

Last edited:
Surely it's a motor, not an engine?
These comments prompted me to have a look under the bonnet in my EQC, I expected a lot of empty space and a modest electric motor, not this, and remember there is another one at the back!

Attachments

• eqc1.jpg
    eqc1.jpg
    860.3 KB · Views: 15
We're all getting disconnected from the petrol and oil moving about thing.

I blame those massive plastic engine covers and drivers who've never had to cleaned the contacts on their distributor)
Alfa knew how to make a pretty engine. This is my Busso 3l V6. 20 years old, mind.

Attachments

• 56996CBE-1893-415B-84B4-D6697D8E83FD.jpeg
    56996CBE-1893-415B-84B4-D6697D8E83FD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
I've no interest in Ev's , but that was interesting to see what is inside a motor even if he did get abit pikey lol

I was shocked to see that the motor of the new Volkswagen fits comfortably into a normal sized Sports duffel bag.

My last boyfriend was a really tight squeeze.

I almost had to cut some bits off. (But managed it in the end)

DB2019AL02473_medium-1-e1573748130485.jpg.jpeg

They made them pretty because they knew a lot of people were going to be looking at them....mechanics mainly. :D
Ha ha! Actually the old Alfa joke was that you bought the engine and got the rest thrown in for free!

The Busso V6 though is a gem and sounds glorious. When production ceased in 2005 i think it was Cosworth wanted to buy it, but Alfa refused to sell. Lots of horrible images of brand new blocks and heads being put in the skip. Giuseppe Busso died within days of the last ones being produced. :(

Ha ha! Actually the old Alfa joke was that you bought the engine and got the rest thrown in for free!

The Busso V6 though is a gem and sounds glorious. When production ceased in 2005 i think it was Cosworth wanted to buy it, but Alfa refused to sell. Lots of horrible images of brand new blocks and heads being put in the skip. Giuseppe Busso died within days of the last ones being produced. :(
I do like that some engineers actually got to design good looking engines and the budget remained to actually build them, something that almost no one would ever look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom