What’s it worth? High mile E55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

91dm

MB Enthusiast
Car
A few
Hello,

I viewed a 2003 w211 E55 AMG today and was wondering what the general opinion is on the value?

Silver car with black interior
Seems completely standard; pulley, air box and cats not touched.
Bodywork good overall with some signs of paintwork
Full service history with recent brakes and suspension

Mechanically drove very well, no knocks or bangs, smooth gear changes and smooth power.

Car has covered 230k miles.

What’s it market value today? Private sale so sold as seen.

Interested to hear from people here!
Thanks

£5k

Your running costs are going to be the same as a 130k example, whether it's on it's second or fourth sets of airbags doesn't really matter. You will have some trouble selling as regardless of what they say when it's their money they are spending most people won't want the miles.
£5k seems a bit mean but probably a good place to start. If they are asking £7.5k then you're going to have trouble but then they won't sell it either.
Usual due diligence on the expensive bits, suspension, sbc but also look carefully at the rad, oil and fuel lines, brakes lines, engine gaskets etc.
It could be a great car it could cost you lots.
As an example I hired a vw crafter to fetch some stuff. 230k miles and frankly it was quite rusty and quite rattly but it did the job. I have a 944 turbo on 275k. It costs me but I use it quite a lot and it won't be any more expensive than a 175k mile example. I won't sell it as everyone will want it for pennies because of the miles.

Interesting to hear what people think. I can't see there being a big market for V8's with 200k miles. He is looking for £6k.

If it’s mechanically sound then I’d agree, £5k is probably the most I’d pay, as it could be unsaleable with a few more years and a few more miles. Worth having at the right price though.

It will always be worth £5/6k though even in parts. If it drives well today and seems in good condition it’s not really that much of a gamble?

230k miles….only just run in!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the opinions. If it had 130k on the clock I wouldn't of questioned it!

Something to think about tomorrow!

It will always be worth £5/6k though even in parts. If it drives well today and seems in good condition it’s not really that much of a gamble?

230k miles….only just run in!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Alex @LSC is part of the reason for the V8 itch!

Hello,

I viewed a 2003 w211 E55 AMG today and was wondering what the general opinion is on the value?

Silver car with black interior
Seems completely standard; pulley, air box and cats not touched.
Bodywork good overall with some signs of paintwork
Full service history with recent brakes and suspension
Mechanically drove very well, no knocks or bangs, smooth gear changes and smooth power.
Car has covered 230k miles.
What’s it market value today? Private sale so sold as seen.
Interested to hear from people here!
Thanks
Excellent question. I have no answer but…

Any Eurotrash wage slave has experience of sitting in W211 taxis with 200-400k kms on the clock, with no obvious issue in sight.

Who knows how long it can be used for, but when it’s done, it’s “jolly useful” for parts in this Web 2.0 world of ours. Just a handful of key components can generate a few thousand

Imo.......6k is way too much...Unless your are planning to keep it forever. I can't see 5k in parts value either.....even the parts have done 230k and I'd want parts off a lower mileage donor. The taxis mentioned above don't use E55 engines.....very different animal to a mildly tuned diesel.
If you buy it then just enjoy it.....and try not to worry that a conrod could ventilate the block the day after you pay for it!

Interesting to hear what people think. I can't see there being a big market for V8's with 200k miles. He is looking for £6k.
If you don’t want it send me the details I’ll make an offer for it.

Imo.......6k is way too much...Unless your are planning to keep it forever. I can't see 5k in parts value either.....even the parts have done 230k and I'd want parts off a lower mileage donor. The taxis mentioned above don't use E55 engines.....very different animal to a mildly tuned diesel.
If you buy it then just enjoy it.....and try not to worry that a conrod could ventilate the block the day after you pay for it!
M113/k engines are some of the toughest and most reliable engines around. You’ll hear of the odd story, but they made literally tens of thousands of these things and most have never been opened up in 20+ years.

I’d wager a 230k mile standard car would be less troublesome than a tuned example or one that’s not been maintained as well with half the mileage. It works out at 11.5k PA, but I’d suspect it did most of those miles with the first owner - it could be more like a typical 100-150k mile example. How’s the drivers seat looking I wonder?

At this age, mileage and price point it’s best to just buy with your eyes. OP says it’s been well maintained and drives well, it’s priced about right considering the above - what’s the issue? :)

Cars don't get to that mileage without being maintained and having parts replaced. You also won't find a cheaper way to experience a 55k engine. Just buy it, you only live once, and if you lose half it's value that's still only 3k, and if you bought a super low-miler for £18k and the market changed a little, you could still lose 3k when selling. You'll also not be paranoid about using this one or leaving it places.

As above, it might not be a complete 'Triggers Broom' but with that weight and power (and our roads) not all of it will be 230,000 miles old.

Brakes, certain suspension components, some mounts, some brackets etc will have been replaced.

Can you get an inspection beforehand at a local garage / indi just to understand what you'd be getting into?

Alex @LSC is part of the reason for the V8 itch!
Yeah, he’s got a lot to answer for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom