What’s the approved used warranty like from MB main dealers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
Just wondering what people’s experiences have been like recently for cars outside manufacturer’s warranty (ie 3+ years old) but bought as approved used?

I’ve located another used AMG that I’m interested in buying, but would like to understand how people have found the level of cover and claims process for cars of this type.

The 2-year cover for AMG vehicles is a reasonably big attraction to me as I feel it gives the opportunity to iron out any faults in the pipeline and niggles post sale. I’d obviously be happy not to need it, but it’s nice to have and to me the private cars I’ve seen recently for sale aren’t priced low enough for the gamble on cars of this age/value. In other words, I’d rather pay slightly more and have 2-years warranty - so long as it’s worth it!

What have people had problems with claiming for? Eg items not covered?

Are there many gotchas other than say diagnostic charges if there’s a disagreement about a fault being present for example?

Any input appreciated :)

Will

You can buy the MB warranty separately,,,provided the car you buy has the right history...

Yes I’d heard about that too, would be easier of course for pre-existing issues if the car was sold by a main dealer though I was thinking? Might save some grief later down the line! :)

A friend of mine has had the Mercedes used car warranty for the last 5 years or so on his CL600 2008 model. This I think is the last year he can get it due to the age of the car. He said it has been amazing and would not have entertained the car without having it.
I cannot remember his various claims but I do know one was a transmission issue and that would have been a £10000 job, another was the drivers seat base, again it would have been a huge repair bill but they just replaced it , no questions asked !.
He has had a few other things as claims as well and speaks very highly despite it being maybe £1800 a year or so. He has had his moneys worth out of it.
On a different note I have had the used Jaguar warranty every year on my 2011 XJL, I bought it brand new and when the factory warranty ran out I have had this used warranty every year. Amazing but I have only actually had to claim for maybe £1000 over the full 8 years on warranty work so consider I have been lucky, I have not had my money's worth haha but what if I had not bought the warranty ????

Yes the way I’m looking at it is if the purchase price of the car includes 2-years warranty, other than wear and tear stuff (brakes/tyres) and keeping up to date on servicing it shouldn’t cost me much in that time.

I’d rather do it that way than buy one privately (for not a lot less) and potentially get stung with a few four figure bills for example (or worse!)

I usually buy cars that have very little depreciation left, but on this occasion I’m happy with some depreciation if the expenditure can be kept in check.

If they’re still doing the same sort of extended warranties in 2 years time and I want to keep it a little longer, it could work out well if the cost is reasonable :)

Just to clarify a point...

The MB Approved Used warranty will be honoured by any MB dealer, but only in respect of new faults that developed after the car was sold.

Any issues that were present at the time of sale will not be covered by the MB Approved Used warranty, and will need to be raised instead with the selling dealer under the Sale of Goods Act in the usual way.

This means that the warranty is not a substitute for proper inspection of the car before buying.

We had members posting on here that their local MB dealer refused to effect repairs under warranty, claimg that the reported faults should have been picked-up during the PDI and are therefore not covered by the warranty.

I’ve had an MB used with a mb warranty. Turned out the supplying dealer hadn’t carried out the correct pre sale inspection. Took it into local dealer with a couple of faults. They wouldn’t carry out the work & I had to return the car to the supplying dealer who corrected a couple of the faults but completely cocked up the paint issue. Car was rejected in the end for a full refund.

Current car was bought 3 months before the end of manufactures warranty & the supplying dealer added 9 months of tier 1 which I assumed covered everything.
Took it back with a rattling drivers window after 6 months. Turns out that tier 1 doesn’t cover rattles where if I had taken it in 3 months earlier the manufacturers warranty would have covered it

On a different note I have had the used Jaguar warranty every year on my 2011 XJL, I bought it brand new and when the factory warranty ran out I have had this used warranty every year. Amazing but I have only actually had to claim for maybe £1000 over the full 8 years on warranty work so consider I have been lucky, I have not had my money's worth haha but what if I had not bought the warranty ????

You would have saved yourself a lot of money...

On the other hand, you had no way of being sure that expensive faults would not develop, and Sod's Law decrees that without the warranty they would have! If I'd known, or even had any grounds to suspect, how my E63 would turn out, I'd have been straight off to my local dealer for a Tier One warranty the day after purchase.

My SLK AMG bought from a MB dealer with 2 year T1 warranty, at just under 7 years old with 18.5 k on clock, developed a fault after 2 months which caused an engine light and dashboard warning. Took it into my local dealer with whom I had also taken out a service contract and they said it was a chargeable item to diagnose the problem , cost £140 ph.
After over two hours in the workshop they returned it saying the electronics in the exhaust had needed a software update and was I happy if they charged me £70 for 30 minutes labour. No complaints from me !

I had tier 1 on my 211 E500 up until 100k. Generally pretty good through Brooklands. Only irritating exclusions related to anything that could be deemed due to or related to corrosion (not unreasonable on a 100kmile car)...broken exhaust bracket, parking sensors, some seals etc. In the end I worked out I paid about £6kover 5 years but only claimed about £2k. So a good bad result!

One of the main things kind of identified here is the importance of the pre-sale inspections and fault rectification before sale. Most dealers are very poor at this.

So inspect the car with a fine tooth comb highlighting all of the things that need sorting prior to pick up. Don't expect them to be doing it, you will only then have to go through the hassle of doing it at pick up and then returning the car etc.

Had a new battery that I didn’t know I needed under my warranty that came with my used approved E250 but it didn’t cover the wiring fault that was causing the fans to run constantly so that cost me £400 to get sorted out Mercedes had the car a week so could have been a lot worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought my CLS at 4 years old approved used and had a couple of minor issues sorted in first year. Decided not to bother renewing after that and glad I didn’t bother.

Over 7 years later the only things outside of routine maintenance have been a couple of window regulators, some parking sensors and coil springs.

Appreciate will be different proposition with a full fat AMG though.

Just to clarify a point...

The MB Approved Used warranty will be honoured by any MB dealer, but only in respect of new faults that developed after the car was sold.

Any issues that were present at the time of sale will not be covered by the MB Approved Used warranty, and will need to be raised instead with the selling dealer under the Sale of Goods Act in the usual way.

This means that the warranty is not a substitute for proper inspection of the car before buying.

We had members posting on here that their local MB dealer refused to effect repairs under warranty, claimg that the reported faults should have been picked-up during the PDI and are therefore not covered by the warranty.

Interestingly, I bought a car from MB Salisbury, must admit it was a few years ago and a fault was found and I took it to the MB dealer in Bristol. They carried out the repair and charged Salisbury for it. I think times may have changed since then, about 2008 :oops:. Under the same warranty though, I had a new Comand unit, new front callipers, new sump, (failed bottom pulley)

Interestingly, I bought a car from MB Salisbury, must admit it was a few years ago and a fault was found and I took it to the MB dealer in Bristol. They carried out the repair and charged Salisbury for it. I think times may have changed since then, about 2008 :oops:. Under the same warranty though, I had a new Comand unit, new front callipers, new sump, (failed bottom pulley)
This makes sense, though if they charged the other dealer for the repair then it was clearly not repaired under the Approved Used warranty (which is provided by MB, not the dealer).

I suppose it's down to the working relationships between the dealers involved (or if they are part of the same network etc).

Thanks guys :cool:

I get the whole pre-existing issue and separate 2-year warranty but if I was buying from the same dealer that I would (potentially!) use for warranty issues/servicing etc then hopefully they should be able to address whatever issues either way?

I’m not getting my hopes up just yet as I’ve seen 2/3 approved used cars of this type that weren’t right for me but if the next one ticks all the boxes I just like to have a feel for how thorough and hassle free the warranty cover is likely to be.

Hopefully seeing the next car sometime next week. Fingers crossed! :)

I am a big fan of the tier 1 warranty.
Saved a fortune on my CL600 bt over three years.
On my current car...2010..E500 ..C207, purchased approved used in Sept 2017. I renewed the warranty in 2018. I have so far had a new oil cooler, alternator, drive shaft oil seal and the rear control unit for the 3 zone aircon replaced, all under warranty.
If the car is not sold i will again renew the warranty.
Of course, had nothing gone wrong i would have wasted £1200. To me it was worth it for peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom