What’s the best option for the odd track day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My immediate thought was C63 but might be too much on the budget. The power is about right at around 450BHP though.

I think anything E might be a bit too heavy for a track car personally.

I once had an E36 M3 Evo and out the box, the E55K is nothing like in the same league so you would have to do a fair whack to it. It does handle well for what it is, but being 1845kg you will get through some consumables!

I would personally buy a Caterham for the track and another car that meets the other requirements.

This might not work for you though given your budget and there are storage considerations of course.

If it had to be a single car, I'd stretch the budget with a loan and get this as at least you know it will be sorted and a minter coming from Jay:

https://www.mercland.com/car.html?id=5351

After a few days hunting around I think I’ll keep hold of the M3. I have a Forester 2.5XT which was going to be swapped for an electric ‘town’ car; hence needing a bigger second car. For now I’ll keep the current rolling stock and save up a few pennies for a C63.

Thank you all for the help.

This is, unfortunately, confirming my suspicions. As mentioned in another post though, the 'track' will be it's third line of duty. I'm no race car driver but do enjoy a spirited drive and getting on the track to take traction off and enjoy the car. If budget would reach to a C63 I imagine my wishes would be granted.

C32 I thought were rust buckets? Otherwise I'd happily consider one and use the spare change to add a few upgrades.

Estate is sadly a must. This needs to become the car we also use for longer journeys. It's tasks, in order of priority will be:

1. Be my car when I need one and the wife is using the other car
2. Be the family car for longer trips
3. Be a fun car for me to take to the odd track or event.

Had a C32 ,was v good but as you said I just couldn't stop the wheel arches rusting.

Looked into Legacy, interested to hear they can be made rear Wheel bias. I have a Forester sg9 XT at the moment which is great fun; but I do miss European build quality.

Had a T5 and an 850R. Tuned them both and loved them; got the 850R handling well too but ultimately missed RWD

This time round I want to stay with something European.

That, sir, is a good shout. Although I’m wondering if it’s going to be a case of Budget creep. I’m trying to go no higher than £12k this time around.

Funnily enough I was following an e55 Estate this afternoon and thinking how well they have aged.
if you could forgo the estate part, a few XFR 500hp jags with good LSDs are on the market . they are modern cars that have great comfort, space and can do a bit of basic track work I reckon. there was one with 70k miles , tons of options for 12k. alas though , they dont come in estate form

if you could forgo the estate part, a few XFR 500hp jags with good LSDs are on the market . they are modern cars that have great comfort, space and can do a bit of basic track work I reckon. there was one with 70k miles , tons of options for 12k. alas though , they dont come in estate form

Yeah the estate bit becomes necessary for Dog, Bike, Kite, Surfing and Canoeing duties. All of which come before track duties n terms of regularity. Having never owned Merc I need to scratch that itch. I think I'm going to hang out until I can budget for a C63 :)

Last edited:

I know this is LHD, but I've not seen an XFR-S estate over here; were they available? https://www.reezocar.com/en/voiture-occasion/jaguar-xf-RZCATWNL26567828.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom