Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4n0y-merc

Car
Mercedes SLC
I spend 20 years lavishing MER on my cars (mainly classics MG Roadster, Lotus Esprit, sorry no Mercedes – my excuse, if I need one here, is youth) I loved the way MER left the paint on the car so I could polish it some more (very important for a classic car).

More recently I have moved over to Auto Glym, Ultra Deep Shine, nice finish and fairly easy to apply.:thumb:

I would love to hear what you lavish on your pride and joy, especially if you are using that new stuff that claims to allow you to spray on top of dirt and wipe off!!!

Autoglym Super Resin Polish once a month has served me very well over the years.

Daz

Hey thanks Iornsheik

I didn't know their was a detailing section, show you how new i am - going there right now

I've never polished my car but I do apply a coat or two of wax now and again. Collinite 915 is my choice

Those polishes don't protect the paint at all. SRP will wash off as soon as it rains. If you want to use a AG polish use Extra Gloss Protection. That is a polish and synthetic sealant that will last for 6 weeks ish.

Your best bet is to polish with SRP (Silicone Resin Polish) and then seal with something like Autoglym HD wax if you want to stick with stuff from Halfords. Durability will be circa 3 months that way.

All this is assuming you are polishing by hand.

HTH

If you want to polish it properly get a Machine Polisher and use quality compounds (meguiars etc.)

Do it once, do it properly.

won't need to polish it again as long as you wash it in the proper manner.

AutoGlym Super resin polish first then AutoGlym High Def Wax :thumb:

I spend 20 years lavishing MER on my cars (mainly classics MG Roadster, Lotus Esprit, sorry no Mercedes – my excuse, if I need one here, is youth) I loved the way MER left the paint on the car so I could polish it some more (very important for a classic car).

More recently I have moved over to Auto Glym, Ultra Deep Shine, nice finish and fairly easy to apply.:thumb:

I would love to hear what you lavish on your pride and joy, especially if you are using that new stuff that claims to allow you to spray on top of dirt and wipe off!!!

I will ask..? forgotten the chaps name,the chauffeur, what he uses on the Fiat 500.:)

Joking apart I have/had, before my son 'borrowed' it some polish/wax/shiny stuff that is the best I have ever seen, over 40 years driving and 60 cars I have tried most 'wonder' products. This stuff does what it says on the tin,I will look it up and tell you where to get it in a Pm (private message) I am that old that the cars of my youth are now known as classics.

My top 5 polishes/pre wax cleaners would be:

-Chemical guys black light/CG v7 hybrid.

-zaino aio/zaino grand finale.

-Jeffs Werstatt acrylic prime strong/ jeff's trigger sealant.

-3m ultrafina SE ( I know it's a refining polish for a rotary but nothing makes paint look wetter)
-and of course Zaino z2 pro.

I've never polished my car but I do apply a coat or two of wax now and again. Collinite 915 is my choice

I haven't used wax for years, if I remember correctly it was a lot of work, wax on two panels wax off one, and you really worked up a sweat. Turtle wax out of a tin was my choice. Do you think the finish is worth the extra work?

I am frightened by machine polishers, probably just my technique but I had a bad experience with my sons MK1 golf. I had seen the finish the Ed China achieved on a faded looking paint job and foolishly believed I could do the same with a cheap polisher and half an hours experience.

Wow, I have never heard of most of these let alone tried them, I feel a bit of research coming on.

+1 for both

-Chemical guys black light/CG v7 hybrid.

-zaino aio/zaino grand finale.

I also just tried Autoglym HD Cleanser and Wax after a clay bar as I could not wait for mail order and was impressed with the Cleanser in particular and the wax can also hold it's own.

View attachment 26420

Last edited:
Tried loads of stuff, but best for me so far is the Poorboys World stuff - as good as Zymol without the rediculous price tag. Easy to put on and take off.
I use Super Swirl Remover 1 (if required, or use 2 or 2.5 if in a right mess), followed by Pro Polish 2, followed by HD Sealant, followed by as many coats as you can be bothered of Carnuba Wax (pick colour depending on car). Wax every 3 months or so, no need to re-polish if done well and maintained.

Difficult to get a couple of years ago, but loads on e-bay now so shop around.

Smells great too!

Oh, and to add, before you do anything, Tar Remover (autoglym works well), followed by a claybar - Meguirs okay, but best I've found is from Bilt-Hamber as it can be used with a water spray so works out cheaper.

Last edited:
I am frightened by machine polishers, probably just my technique but I had a bad experience with my sons MK1 golf. I had seen the finish the Ed China achieved on a faded looking paint job and foolishly believed I could do the same with a cheap polisher and half an hours experience.

There's your problem, invest in a dual action polisher you don't need any particular technique for it and there is minimal chance that you will damage the paint. They are easily worth their price tag (start from about £80 I think now), as your paint will come up looking nice and vibrant.

Polish is completely different to sealant or wax.

This is what the process should be roughly if you want to get your car nice and shiny.

Wash - Clay - Polish - sealant/wax

once you've done that look into the 2 bucket method of washing to minimise swirls.

after that you should have a nice shiny car that you are proud of :D

A couple of member have mentioned "clay" what is this and what is it's function?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom