what 750 quid gets you nowadays ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've spent more than the price of that car on a day at the races, why are people expecting some sort of lost gem?!

At that money; hope for the best, think the worse and expect something in between.

It's not because of the car.

Didn't you read my post?

Why would I buy a car from a guy who tells me he bough the car a good few months back when actually he bought it less than 4 weeks ago.

Then there is the lack of service history.

It just didn't feel right.

If that ok with u?

Sometimes, it's worth bearing in mind that it's the car you are buying rather than the owner, especially at the nominal sum asked - if you understand where I'm coming from. But, if you were not happy with the seller and are happier walking, I can't blame you.

+1

Not really sure what the negatives were that stopped you from buying it?

Its priced less than my last Service/MOT...!

I'm not convinced by the guy selling it and I'm not loving the fact it's not got a service record in the book for about 5 years.

I have bought cars before when it didn't feel right and they have always cost me heaps of cash or had major probs.

I spent an hr and a half getting there and back and wasn't told a bunch a lies by the guy selling

I think that's enough for me to walk away
.The sad thing is that had he been honest in the first conversation I had with him the outcome may have been different

I've spent more than the price of that car on a day at the races, why are people expecting some sort of lost gem?!

At that money; hope for the best, think the worse and expect something in between.

Firstly I wasn't expecting some lost gem

Secondly you are free to spend as much as you want at the races (we are not all as loaded as you are, clearly) I could never spend this kind of money In one day at the races but hey good luck to u.

The issues I found and listed were for the benefit of others who may be interested in the car (I thought I was being helpful) I was expecting rust and I was expecting a few niggles.

Like I have said about 4 times now, my concerns are with the guy selling the car and not the actual car. If anyone on here wants to take a chance on it that's there perogative I decided I didn't want to.

Fair enough! :)

I'm not after an argument nor do I want to offend anyone. I mearly thought I was given the forum a detailed description of what I found with the car in the flesh.

I'm kinda wishing I hadn't now though

I'm going to speak with a friend of mine about these cars (as I know nothing about c class pitfalls) and see what he thinks.

If I can get him down to look the car over and I can get the seller down from the figure he mentioned I might be able to convince myself to go for it.

I'm not after an argument nor do I want to offend anyone. I mearly thought I was given the forum a detailed description of what I found with the car in the flesh.

I'm kinda wishing I hadn't now though

I'm going to speak with a friend of mine about these cars (as I know nothing about c class pitfalls) and see what he thinks.

If I can get him down to look the car over and I can get the seller down from the figure he mentioned I might be able to convince myself to go for it.

I thought the issue was with the seller himself and not the car?

Now the price is the issue (which is why you looked at it, you know it's cheap)

With respect - get real.

Guys

I think Michael is trying to help others. Why shoot the messenger. He is entitled to his views.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Of course he is. But those views lack credibility when he says that he didn't proceed because he took issue with the seller himself and/or he length of ownership on the paperwork, but then turns round and says that if he can get the seller down on the price he might buy it.

Same seller, same car.

The report on the condition of the car itself sounds just as you'd expect a 15+ year old W202 to be in. Still a cheap car regardless.

Will said:
Of course he is. But those views lack credibility when he says that he didn't proceed because he took issue with the seller himself and/or he length of ownership on the paperwork, but then turns round and says that if he can get the seller down on the price he might buy it. Same seller, same car. The report on the condition of the car itself sounds just as you'd expect a 15+ year old W202 to be in. Still a cheap car regardless.

Will

He went to view the car. Surely that gives him the right to try and reduce the price?

It just feels he is getting a beating for posting up his findings. Like many do on here.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Mercedes c280

Hi also looked at car .very dodgy bloke lots of rust on door arches wings door bottom back seat scratched, e class alloys front tyres bald lower ball joints clunky .had staggered Amg alloys which where on his 210 e class parked behind mercedes c280 .he swore they wearnt .wanted £650 said polity not for me .not sure where he was from seem like a Indian from liverpool

Mercedes c280

Hi was only saying my opinion on car and owner please view car your self and make up your own mind .not trying to offend anyone

I thought the issue was with the seller himself and not the car?

Now the price is the issue (which is why you looked at it, you know it's cheap)

With respect - get real.

The issue IS with the seller.

I'm not happy about the way in which he answered my questions, and that is the reason I walked away.

I also didn't like the service history and the rust (yes I was expecting rust just not quite that much)

He stories didn't add up about a few things and I thought it wise to walk away

Clearly many people on this forum disagree with my decision and my opinion. Which you are entitled to do.

I'm still not convinced however if AFTER a chat with my indi merc garage mate it seems like it might be worth taking a closer look at then I will try and get him down to look at it.

As for the price , of coarse I want it cheaper. Don't we want everything for as little as we can get it. There is a lot of work that I would need to get done on it rust wheels tyres etc and probably a full service and gearbox service

All of which cost money

As for my input into this. You guys don't have to worry I will Defo not be checking out any other cars and giving my opinion on them.

I think it all makes sense.

When buying from a private seller there is no come back, so the very least you would want is to be able to establish some element of trust.

I could go on with a very long list of things that can go wrong when doing business with the wrong people.

I am not suggesting that Mr. Liverpool is not an honest man, just that if he is indeed one, then he clearly did not manage to convey this message to Michael.

The (low) price of the car is not the issue... I would not want to end-up with a heap of metal on my drive that I can not use and can not sell (in a worst case scenario).

The (low) price of the car is not the issue... I would not want to end-up with a heap of metal on my drive that I can not use and can not sell (in a worst case scenario).

You mean this car is not for you period. It's too cheap and you wouldn't take your chances with it. :D

Well to me it sounds as though the guy bought the car for the AMG wheels and is now selling it on cheap. Hence the date on the V5 etc.

I stand by my comments - what on earth do people expect? For seven hundred and forty five quid? You can see the wheels in the pictures? Who cares what he did with them and why shouldn't he be able to put them on another car if he wishes.

If it had full history, no rust, original wheels etc and was being sold by a nice salesman from a garage with warranty etc then it wouldn't be £745...

Sport model C280 with heated leather and a year's MOT. I remember when these were ten grand motors about ten years back, and they still rusted back then.

If you look at cars costing a few hundred quid you need to be realistic. If you had a year out of it and then scrapped it you've had your money's worth. If you intend on pumping money into it and having gearbox services and new tyres, respray etc then why on earth look at a £745 car to begin with :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom