what a bunch of mugs we are

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

big x

MB Enthusiast
In 1994 this car cost the original owner a kings ransome.Mercedes where just about the most expensive in the World in this country and some 40% to 60% more pre-tax than the rest of Europe.Servicing costs are also higher.
Now we have the cheapest older prestige cars apart from Japan.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4629272332
I've noticed German dealers are buying these cars back at rock bottom prices.The Germans have done very well out of us,high new prices and now German export companies are buying them back.The above C-class was bought by a guy who takes them back to Germany.The seller didn't help his case not bothering to clean the inside of the car...the Germans must marvel at the stupid "Britischer Schweinhund". My guess is they are either being broken for spares or exported to the far east (25% of the World drive on the same side of the road as us).
If you check the American price guide http://www.kbb.com BMW's are 3 times the price there for older stuff than here.

adam

Last edited:
One of the main reasons for cars being more expensive in the UK is VAT and Purchase Tax (which became Duty). The manufacturers do not gain from this, although I concede that Mercedes Benz (and BMW) have traditionally been more expensive cars, and most manufacturers have charged more for cars in the UK. 40 - 60%? I wonder....

The UK in general has a frankly ridiculous attitude to cars. I believe it stems from the company car culture we have, in which your social status is directly reflected by, and dependent upon the car you drive. As a result, new cars depreciate heavily and used cars tend to be cheap. This has got worse since manufacturers have been forced to reduce new car prices in the UK.

In Europe, cars depreciate far more slowly. They carry less 'kudos', and people tend to keep them for longer, to maximise the return on their investment. As a result of this, it can be cheaper to buy used cars in the UK, and export them elsewhere in Europe.

PJ

PS: I know it's all relative, but 'a king's ransom' in 1994? My car's a late '94 and it cost the first owner £53,000-odd. Compared to that, I personally wouldn't consider a C200 to cost a king's ransom.

I don't think I have ever heard the Germans use such terms but that's a by the by. There is a regular export of cars from West Europe into East Europe. Everyday you can see cars, mostly old, being trailered in that direction. Most are bought for a song from the various informal markets around. There is also allegedly, a big market in shipping end of life cars to Africa, through Rotterdam. These we see being trailered in the other direction. Many of these end of life cars are in excellent condition but cannot be sold by their owners for other than the €100 that these guys will give you. Isn't it all supply and demand.

Last edited:
A kings' ransom for a 200 Esprit? Near bottom of the range. Virtually cheapest car Mercedes sold..

You are joking of course. Short MOT, windows don't work needs tyres...

Near junk...

Big X, I totally agree. It reall infuriates me to no end:devil: :devil: :devil: that we are constantly taken for fools. We are always paying far too much for EVERYTHING:- cars, fuel, utilities, direct and indirect taxes, parking fees / fines, CCharge. AND WHAT the bloody hell for!!!:devil: :devil:

I was over in the states last June and my cousin bought a brand new top spec Range Range for $58000.00. His son has got a boxter which he bopught brand new for $26000.00.

I also think its our fault as well. As long as there are mugs paying silly prices than manufacturers / sellers will always be supplying at those prices.

Well thats my 2 pennies worth and now I'm well out of pocket now!!:(

Vips said:
I was over in the states last June and my cousin bought a brand new top spec Range Range for $58000.00. His son has got a boxter which he bopught brand new for $26000.00.

No chance!

A bottom-of-range Range Rover is nigh on US$76k, and a base-spec boxster is US$45,000.

The US is cheaper than the UK, there's no doubt. But those numbers are rubbish.

PJ

Imadoofus, I assure you this is true of The range rover and it is a top spec. The boxter I was meant to say 26k GBP but I couldn't find the pound sign!!!

Well I'm well impressed then. I've just visited the Land Rover USA site to confirm my earlier statement, and it says the Range Rover starts at $75,760 (£43,000).

I guess they're giving huge discounts. (15%!)

PJ

Careful of US prices for new cars as each dealer and state applies different rules/discounts and taxes. Advertised prices can only be used as a guide and there are various journals (blue books etc.) that tell you what to expect to pay in a particular state for a particular model.

Last edited:
Most high end cars are leased in the US - the leasing prices are stupidily low. I have a colleague with an E55 who pays $799/mth and his wife has a Porsche Cayenne which was $599/mth (even he was surprised by that deal). They have to pay tax and licence fee etc up front (a few K dollars). They set the residuals really high which has always baffled me - why buy an expensive used car when new seems so relatively cheap?

imadoofus said:
One of the main reasons for cars being more expensive in the UK is VAT and Purchase Tax (which became Duty). The manufacturers do not gain from this, although I concede that Mercedes Benz (and BMW) have traditionally been more expensive cars, and most manufacturers have charged more for cars in the UK. 40 - 60%? I wonder....

The UK in general has a frankly ridiculous attitude to cars. I believe it stems from the company car culture we have, in which your social status is directly reflected by, and dependent upon the car you drive. As a result, new cars depreciate heavily and used cars tend to be cheap. This has got worse since manufacturers have been forced to reduce new car prices in the UK.

In Europe, cars depreciate far more slowly. They carry less 'kudos', and people tend to keep them for longer, to maximise the return on their investment. As a result of this, it can be cheaper to buy used cars in the UK, and export them elsewhere in Europe.

PJ

PS: I know it's all relative, but 'a king's ransom' in 1994? My car's a late '94 and it cost the first owner £53,000-odd. Compared to that, I personally wouldn't consider a C200 to cost a king's ransom.

Your right about company cars distorting the marketing,the looser is the private motorist who buys new but doen't get the big discount but does see the value of his car fall in line with the company cars.
Four years ago I imported a new Golf from Denmark for a friend and the saving was 65% on UK list (pre-tax)Paid £8k.Since then prices have continued to fall in the UK and rise at slightly above inflation in Denmark narrowing the gap.He asked more because Ive got a degree in economics for my sins.
MB's where hughly expensive in 94 for what they where, the original owner would have paid circa £22000 or more for what is a simple car.I've got a 94 pricelist.Aircon..£2500,automatic even more.

adam

madasafish said:
A kings' ransom for a 200 Esprit? Near bottom of the range. Virtually cheapest car Mercedes sold..

You are joking of course. Short MOT, windows don't work needs tyres...

Near junk...

Junk ? Not when exported to India.Any ones whose been there will know what I mean.
For a total spend of 1k + DIY time the cars got plenty of life I'm sure.
Yes,it was a kings ransom in those days dispite being the bottom of the range.In 92 I bought a four bedroom house with 10 acres in Somerset for 98k.

adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom