What a daft way to put an S Class off the road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham

Has anyone ever popped their boot lid with the key ... only to find the key won't then come out?

This doesn't seem to be a freezing problem but, nevertheless, I've pumped as much de-icer and WD40 past the key as possible - and warmed it with a hair drier, but the lock just won't give it back. The key is firmly stuck. It's a newly purchased 1996 S280, by the way. Any suggestions?

Hi Graham

Welcome to the forum. I am afraid I can't help but someone will come along soon who may be able to help.

Marc

Oh dear. Not a good way to start ownership.
Do you have a spare key so at least you can continue to use the car? (Not ideal I know, but I guess better than nothing)

Graham, welcome to the board, not a good start. I never use the key on my S, there is a button to open the boot on the key fob and on the drivers door, I have never used the key so really cannot help. If it is frozen in, it maybe just a wait till things warm up, all the best

Just a thought, if you unlock with the mechanical key, the alarm is still on untill you put the key in the ignition. Don't know if there is some security device which holds the mechanical key in.

Last edited:
This is such a silly idea by MB.. and a lot of models dont have a jump point under the bonnet.

The only way is to find a suitable point... usually starter motor...

Has anyone ever popped their boot lid with the key ... only to find the key won't then come out?

This doesn't seem to be a freezing problem but, nevertheless, I've pumped as much de-icer and WD40 past the key as possible - and warmed it with a hair drier, but the lock just won't give it back. The key is firmly stuck. It's a newly purchased 1996 S280, by the way. Any suggestions?

Is it not a case that the boot lock is never usually used and gets all the road crud thrown at it, so when you eventually put a key in the lock, you push all the crap in too, which ends up jamming the key. Just a thought?

Russ

Thanks y'all ...

I do have a spare key fob but that doesn't seem to work, even with new batteries ... but that's another matter for the moment!

I only used the key at all because it was difficult to open the boot manually and, not being used to the car yet (two days!), I thought the key might be a necessary alternative in this instance. It's not frozen in ... the lock mechanism has gripped it somehow!

The security device idea is quite an interesting one ... maybe so ... but how do you get round it? I can see nothing in the manual or online. Is that kind of solution kept quiet to starve the bad guys of information?

Needless to say - I'm so angry about this. The car itself it lovely - and was featured on the Cheshire Classic Benz stand at the recent classic show in Birmingham - but I'm beginning to wish I had my old C-class back (warts and all)!

Last edited:
I'm betting the lock hasn't seen a key for 12 years and although you got a key in, 12 years of crud are now holding it put. Plenty wd40 might work, especially if left to soak overnight and pulled out with a pair of mole grips on the key. I think you're going to need a new lock anyway.

Russ

That's a good link, might help to sort out your problem.

Does the closing aid work on all of the four doors? Might be worth getting your spare key working so you can start the engine. That might help fire the pump back into action? Worth a try, maybe?

Have you definately turned the key back to the normal rest position.? If it is at all turned it will hold the key in.

Thanks everybody ... plenty for me to get on with tomorrow!

Graham

Silly question it may seem, but have to closed the boot again and tried to the remove the key? or are you removing it while the lid is open?

I would personal open and close the lid a few times and see if frees up the mechanism/key.

Just a thought... So my S a long time ago, so can't go check for you...

Only other thing is call out the AA man or equivalent.

Problem solved

I managed to get a 28-year time-served mobile Merc mechanic to look at it this afternoon and he got the key out! Russ was just about on the money. Nobody ever uses a key to open the boot and it only took a rookie like me not to know that.

Believe me ... it won't happen again ... the only lock this key is ever going to see is the ignition!

Thanks again to all those who supported me through the darkest places of my frustration and anguish!

Cheers
Graham

Glad you got it sorted.
Hope you don't have any more days of darkness with your new purchase.

But if you do, you know where to ask. :)

I managed to get a 28-year time-served mobile Merc mechanic to look at it this afternoon and he got the key out! Russ was just about on the money. Nobody ever uses a key to open the boot and it only took a rookie like me not to know that.

Believe me ... it won't happen again ... the only lock this key is ever going to see is the ignition!

Thanks again to all those who supported me through the darkest places of my frustration and anguish!

Cheers
Graham

The metal key only operates the doors and boot. If you try to start the car with it then it will not work .... on a W220. If you have the previous incarnation W140 then please ignore my comment.

The metal key only operates the doors and boot. If you try to start the car with it then it will not work .... on a W220. If you have the previous incarnation W140 then please ignore my comment.

It's a newly purchased 1996 S280,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom