What a first class plonker I am.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
This morning I nearly ran over Mrs M & Myself.

How did I manage this? Simple just lazy and complacent.

Fitting a new rear Fog light to my Pajero. Mrs M asks if she may help.

Light fitted wiring done I ask her go round the back of the cafeteria to test their operation along with the reversing lights. I elect to putting car in reverse the Drive.

As I jump out the Pajero it starts moving back wards and rapidly.

Mrs tried to reach in and grab the handbrake. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

She got hooked by the door, spun around and dragged underneath the truck which, I could not hold onto.

By some miracle, she survived with no physical injuries but was extremely shaken up mentally.

The car managed to reverse back, across our driveway into our neighbours fence, which brought it to a standstill.

A horrible thing to go through.

Complacency was the problem. Wallowing in a trough of self confidence.

A garage fool of tools. But Mr Smarty Pants ignores all of these.

FAIL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BMF
Wow Bruce you got away lightly there,could have been nasty,only takes a moment of inattention,at least no body hurt but I suspect you are both shook up,have a sit in the sunshine and you can have a coffee,and your wife can have a double vodka.

:eek: Bl00dy hell, Bruce, that was a close one!
How are you and the Mrs now?

We've all done dumb things,
I once lowered a jacked car onto my knee, that hurt.

Rest and tea till the nerves settle, a dram wouldn't go amiss.

Gees, careful Bruce! Glad you and the missus are OK. Lesson learnt I hope?!

One thing I never do now in life or work or jobs is rush. To the frustration sometimes of others.

Take you time out there...double and treble check. Safety is paramount. Make sure you are in the right frame of mind, focussed and concentrating. One slip of concentration and it can be somewhat regrettable.

Proof if needed that Bruce is looked after by some deity!!

Brian Harvey of East17 fame managed to do the job properly and as far as I'm aware is still the only person known to have run over themself in a Mercedes.

Gentlemen

Thank you all for the lovely replies.

It certainly was a shocker.

Carol was very, very, lucky.

The speed it happened at meant from start finish we were talking a few seconds.

Somehow at some point I must managed knock the shifter into Neutral.

As Carol made her way towards the rear of the truck I was lazily looking at the engine, congratulating my latest efforts from my engine detailing session.

I lent against the front slam panel and the car was off moving quickly.

Safety is paramount when working on Card. But here comes Mr Bruce the Donkey.

I need new pants.

:eek::eek::eek:

Bugger, is the fence and pajero damaged, since we know that none of you were?

I mind a few years ago a woman and todler coming in with her clio saying her handbrake wasnt holding, she took a workmate out to show something on her car, she turned the ignition on turned it too far (the car was in reverse) and the car started shot off in reverse with the drivers door wide open catching her and her todler and knocking them off their feet and then proceding to run over her todlers head, i called an ambulance and OMG within 5 mins there was police cars everywhere cordining off the area as if it was a crime scene, poor woman she was distraught! anyway off they go to hospital and todler was just fine thankfully except for a very little bit of tarmac rash, they were really lucky that day too!

There was an HGV Driver here of many years experience. Ignoring the signs he attempted to reverse his huge great load into the yard. He could not see where needed to.

No worries he climbed out his cab hanging of the steering wheel. You guessed it. He got trapped between the wall and his tractor unit. Eventually probably exhausted his foot slipped of the clutch.

You can guess the rest.

Brian Harvey of East17 fame managed to do the job properly and as far as I'm aware is still the only person known to have run over themself in a Mercedes.

Yes, but he needed to binge on four baked potatoes with tuna mayonnaise and cheese before he managed it!

On the 968uk forum I frequent there's actually a "Plonker Postings" sub forum with quite a few entries - including my one when I managed to drop the cab off 2 axle stands while attempting to lift the other side of the car to get that side also on axle stands.

Glad you got off with just a big scare and change of skiddies Bruce and Carol. It's Sunday afternoon, time for suitable liquid refreshment - which is what we are partaking of in preparation for dinner!!

Bloody hell, Bruce that could have been serious.
Glad you’re both ok and well enough to recount this cautionary tale.

Crikey, that was a close call, I don't suppose you could give me Tuesdays Euromillions winning numbers could you.

All joking aside, I'm glad it all ended without injury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom