What A Muppet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rubyred

Car
2017 C Class AMG Line
Decided to put the cover on the car as the weather is turning wet and windy. As there was rain water laying on the car I had to wipe it
down before covering, so I thought I’d use my soft blade thingy before drying. Well there must of been some grit on the bonnet and I’ve dragged the grit with the blade all down the paint work AARRH! Very fine scratches, I’ve Tcut the bonnet then rewaxed it, I can still just see the scratches so will have to get it mopped properly.
Blades gone in the bin!
Keith

I hope you are sitting comfortably because pretty soon you will get a lot of feedback about never (or always) use a squeegee to remove surface water from your car bodywork and how you must always use ...or never use a car cover.

In fact I am surprised your post has been up more than half an hour and you have yet to be pounced upon. My guess is had it been posted in the dark place that is 'detailing' your head would be spinning by now

God luck ...and don't do it again ! :p

Buy yourself a couple of large microfibre drying towels - I used to have an Autoglym silicon blade but binned it after reading about exactly your problem. With a large drying towel you just lay it on and have to move it very little for it to absorb the water - and you'll be amazed how much it will absorb before needing wringing out!

Sorry to hear about the mishap, hope you can get it sorted.

FWIW, I was given a ‘soft blade thingy’ as a joke present, and I use it every day. I find it ideal for squeegee-ing the shower cubicle......

Well I have one of those blade thingies but only use it on the side and back windows and the door mirrors as i have a difficult reverse onto the road .

Never had a problem with a silicone blade myself , I have great eyesight...

The crack is washing and rinsing thoroughly without missing an inch .

I use both initial methods , blade for cooler non drying type days , throw on the towel on sunny warm days .

Thanks for being so lenient guys, tin hat firmly on.
The ironic thing is I’m usually so careful wiping the car over and used the blade very rarely. I just didn’t think.
As for the cover, it’s a nice quality good fitting one, I don’t use the car very much and hate seeing it getting covered in muck and dirt and of course grit while it’s sat on the drive.
Keith

There is nothing wrong with using a silicone blade if the car is clean (just washed) and removing the excess water. I've been using one on my cars for years without problems, yes if the water is dirty then that's a no no. Flame proof suit is on..

Using the silicon blade on bodywork is a redundant technique, as is using a sponge.

I use one for glass, as I like having windows clear.

How old is the car, t-cut will do nothing to a clear coat just f---k it up i left bird plop on the wife's car and as being old school washed it off then t cut the stain it left,long story short had to go back to MB for a complete polish.
T-cut locked away

I used one of those blades on the front passenger window about 10 years ago, must have been a bit of grit there and for the last 10 years all I see is a big score in the glass everytime I look at that window.
Put it straight in the bin and never used one since.

Just had the bonnet wet sanded and then machine polished to get rid of the grit scratches I caused with the silicon blade. Lovely smooth finish and no more scratches, But, wet sanding has pulled out all the stone chip touch ins, I hate bloody stone chips, they look worse than the scratches. Touch up pen at the ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom