What about the dealerships?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
Mercedes-Classic-Cars2.JPG

OK

So Mercedes launched some new metal in Detroit at NAIAS yesterday

one thing that came out was between 2013 and 2020, 13 entirely new models are going to be launched..

um now last time i looked.. im sure, Milton Keynes aside, the dealerships have some serious space shortage.. i mean they have it already..

what do you think they will be doing about it.. in some cases, they have not the space to increase...

Its great they want to diversify the product portfolio, but 7 new models..hmmm that is going to be tough to show case

whats your thoughts?

I must admit a few I've been to have been pretty small - although my local one, MB Chester, isn't a bad size. I was surprised last time I went in as they only had 3 cars in the showroom and, even very spread out, there's room for twice as many.

MB senior execs have been saying recently that they want to double their sales volumes over the next few years.

All dealerships ive been to (5 in total) have been massive with huge empty spaces.

13 new models but many of the old ones will be phased out.

Jay, not sure anything will be phased out..

i think this is +13 new models

not variants, but new models (other than the s class cabrio which might be a new variant, and classed as a new car)

some dealerships are big, but some are tiiiinny

I'm pretty sure this is not 13 new models in the sense of completely new segments, but will include the revisions across the range too.

They may also be talking about the hybrids as new models too, so bear that in mind.

Also, try thinking about what 13 new models could be....

A new engine or two would be nice, or are all future MB models going to be powered by some version of the OM651 4 cylinder diesel? :p
viz Google Translate

I'd rather they made a few engines and really spent the time ensuring the engine was desgined and engineered to the highest standard.

Fitting the engine to many models improves economy of scale ensuring the engine can have the money spent on it to ensure its without fault.

Plus that engine is suitable from A to S class (just) and everything inbetween, is there a car it doesn't power?

I'm pretty sure this is not 13 new models in the sense of completely new segments, but will include the revisions across the range too.

They may also be talking about the hybrids as new models too, so bear that in mind.

Also, try thinking about what 13 new models could be....

my understanding is it is 13 totally new models..

eg.. CLA.. and the new A class 4x4.. GLA etc..

from how i heard it, it is 13 new models not seen before

time will tell..

I'd rather they made a few engines and really spent the time ensuring the engine was desgined and engineered to the highest standard.

Fitting the engine to many models improves economy of scale ensuring the engine can have the money spent on it to ensure its without fault.

Plus that engine is suitable from A to S class (just) and everything inbetween, is there a car it doesn't power?

The R class, GL , G wagon and SL are all I can think of right now. :confused:
ps a new straight 6 would be nice.

Last edited:
my understanding is it is 13 totally new models..

eg.. CLA.. and the new A class 4x4.. GLA etc..

from how i heard it, it is 13 new models not seen before

time will tell..

A class is replacing the... A Class :D

The R class, GL , G wagon and SL are all I can think of right now. :confused:
ps a new straight 6 would be nice.

Inline engines take up more room. The cars are easier to design around a V engine and lesser models can take a V6. A C class never could take an I6.

Hasn't stopped BMW though ;)

In this era of downsizing a 6 clyinder can be replaced with a turbo'd 4 or a turbo 5. And an 8 replaced with a 6.

I fully expect in years to come only the high end E series to be available with a 5 and not a 6 and the 6 only to be in the S class segment.

Aren't all the new ones going to be Renault powered and based on Renaults/Nissans like the Citan (cough Kangoo).

The local MB Commercials dealer has one proudly displayed in top of a container-type display stand.

I hope people don't look underneath and see the Renault emblems on the parts.

COMING TO MIND IS THE FOLLOWING

CLA SHOOTING BRAKE
CLA 4X4 (GLA?)
C CLASS SHOOTING BRAKE
C CLASS CABRIO
S CLASS STRETCHED
S CLASS PULLMAN
S CLASS CABRIO
ML CROSSOVER COUPE (similar to X6)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom