What are the chances of finding a 5-speed W140 S280 in a junkyard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atikovi

I have this gray market '95 model with a stick, however 5-speeds were never imported into the U.S.A. The shift boot is missing and I thought of asking some junkyards over there but someone said that very few were sold even in England with the 5-speed. Has anyone come across one in a junkyard?

never seen a manual W140... ever.. and ive seen a few in scrap yards (as they call them over here)

However - I bet the gaiter or boot is the same as a W210 / W124 series - even w202? I am (currently) tring to re-install the epc on my laptop...

The shift knob is the same as a W124 and I was able to get that from a dealer here, but the boot is different. The 5-speed W124's were only sold here in '86 and '88. Maybe a later W124 would fit?

There are a few large MB only scrap yards (breakers) in the UK.

I can recommend this one:

Mercman
E-Mail : [email protected]
Tel : 023 8078 4444
Fax: 023 8078 2444

Might be better to try a german scrapyard as I doubt there were many manual S Class cars sold in the UK.

Not in the UK

this is what I found on another forum.
The W140 S 280 was introduced in Germany and most world markets at the early stages of the facelifted model. Hence, there was no W140 280SE with the original pre-facelift design. The S 280 originated in an attempt to broaden the W140 public appeal and to offer a more affordable model. The W140 S 280 had some very peculiar features:

1/- As it happened with the earlier 260SE (W126), the W140 S280 was woefully underpowered for its bulk and size.
2/- It was available only in short wheelbase form.
3/- It was equipped as standard with a FIVE-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION. It helped the underpowered pick-up of the 2.8 liter engine and made the car more affordable.
4/- In Germany, and also in most markets, it also came equipped standard with cloth upholstered/manually operated seats, without any A/C and tintless windows allround.
5/- It sold in very small numbers. Production figures are insignificant compared to the S320/S500 which were the best sellers of the lineup.

I dont think a manual s280 was ever marketed in the UK. :confused: Reputedly it was as a passenger in a s280 that Princess Diana was killed in Paris rather than the often reported s500? Something to do with the French road taxation rules for cars over 3000 cc.

thanks to A Rosich from Costa Rica for that INFO. :)

edit you could try this german company http://www.speed-autoteile.com/

they certainly list s280 parts in their online catalogue but not your part I'M AFRAID. try e-mailing them direct.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom