What are the chances of that?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm a self employed contractor ,pretty much 'one man band' got into a quick job in Kuwait got off the plane to be told by the engineering manager "your colleague has already arrived "

Having no idea what he was on about I walked into the plant to se a bloke who used to be a night shift electrician at one of my UK customers , not seen him for decades , didn't even know he had moved into the contractor game . we had both responded to the same call.

On a redeye flight from Seattle to Portland Oregon one of the air crew started chatting to me , he had worked for Alaskan airlines and lived in the USA for years......turned out his mom lives within 5 minutes walk from my home in the UK.

Decades ago I got a weekend breakdown call to Glasgow , a long way from my usual service engineer area back then , I took the job as the money was good and I had never been to Glasgow before.

So , Saturday morning in an almost deserted factory near the Gorbels a bloke came up to me and said "it is you " . He had in his hand a school yearbook from back in the 1970's he had been a classmate of my older brother , he spotted my name on the job sheet and came in on his day off just to satisfy his curiosity. When I told my brother he said "who ?" But the photographic evidence was clear.

In a bar in Toronto my colleague and I overheard a group of people discussing how their trip had been 'ruined' by Concord crashing as they had been booked on a 'trip of a lifetime' return to London from NYC .

More eavesdropping revealed that they lived in the small town that hosted our biggest customer where we as contractors were both based.

I have more , but don't we all .

I was chatting to one of the new dads at the school that had recently moved to the area. They had bought a house in the next road. He said the house had a lovely feel about it when they viewed it. I said I was born in that road, no.22 and that was the house they'd bought.

In 1993 I spent several months in Goa.

One afternoon after some heavy drinking I noticed a B registration Merc van that had been converted into a camper. After this initial sighting I kept seeing around the place.

Fast forward to 1994 and I was back repping in Skiathos and I was seeing some guests off to Skopelos from the port.
The ferry came in and the vehicles started to disembark then lo and behold off came the same B reg Merc van!!

It turned out that the lady owner of the van had a sister living in Skiathos who was a good friend of mine and had another sister flying out that day and all 3 were having a little reunion!!
The sister flying out was staying in one of the hotels I looked after.

Last year while on holiday in the USA we stayed a couple of nights in Gatlinburg, TN, and while there took a drive out along the Foothills Parkway on our way to explore The Dragon (US 129), the road famous with motorcyclists, to Deal's Gap. While on the Foothills Parkway we stopped to take some photo's of the view from one of the overlooks and I could hear a couple of bikes going for it, so I turned around and took a few photos of a guy on a Triumph Rocket 3 who was definitely enjoying his ride, and then a few seconds behind, another guy on a Harley moving a tad more slowly.

Anyway, around an hour later we parked up in our rental car at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort to get some refreshments and I spotted the Rocket 3 with a guy I assumed to be the rider leaning on the rail in front of where it was parked. I asked if it was his bike which he confirmed and showed him the photos I'd taken of him "having fun" earlier. "Wow!", he said, "They're great, can I have copies?". I asked if he had an iPhone that I could Airdrop the photos to. "No," he said, "but he does", pointing to his riding buddy who turned out to be the Harley rider who I'd also shot some photos of.

We struck up a conversation and he asked where in England we are from. On telling him he replied, "Oh, I know that area well. I used to live there when I was in the USAF stationed at Upper Heyford". Turned out he'd lived with his family in a house about 5 minutes walk from where we live now.

Bl00dy el, they timed that wrong, didn't they. 😉🙂
I’ll be honest, I was happy to let them take a photo with me the first few times they “just happened to be in the same place as me”, but eventually I called the Police and have a court order on them now, so they’re not allowed within 100m of me now 😁

I was caught in traffic and a couple of minutes late for the interviews I was chairing that day. On arriving, someone has just parking in my allotted - and marked as such - parking space. I got out and asked him to move, pointing this out. he told me to F*ck off and gave me the finger. I found somewhere a little further on.

10 minutes later, first interviewee is ushered in ..... guess who?

First question ... "how is your customer care?"

then ... "how do you handle aggression?"

I was caught in traffic and a couple of minutes late for the interviews I was chairing that day. On arriving, someone has just parking in my allotted - and marked as such - parking space. I got out and asked him to move, pointing this out. he told me to F*ck off and gave me the finger. I found somewhere a little further on.

10 minutes later, first interviewee is ushered in ..... guess who?

First question ... "how is your customer care?"

then ... "how do you handle aggression?"
That story is older than me!

Hi,
We were in Las Vegas in February 2005 to attend an exhibition.
Decided that me and the wife would take a helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon.
The pilot was from Yorkshire and his sister was our solicitor’s secretary - in Newtown, mid-Wales!
We landed on side of the canyon for a picnic and it started to rain (apparently it rarely rains there - but rain often follows us on our holidays!)
Two more helicopters landed at our picnic site and the 4 people who got out of one of them were from Shrewsbury - the next biggest city to where we lived!
This is just one of many times I have bumped into people all around the world that I either directly knew or had connections to friends.
It really does seem to be a “small World”
Cheers
Steve

A few years ago we were on holiday in Tenerife we were at the bar in our hotel and bumped into our next door neighbours son and wife

saw PJ & Duncan at Manchester Airport. We went again in 1993 and sure enough we saw PJ & Duncan at Manchester Airport again
Cos they worked there cleaning the bogs.:) Wish they had stayed there:mad:

Posted to Hong Kong, accompanied by my wife, to do a language course, we were living in an RAF hiring as a married quarter rather than a Service-owned property.

Opposite us on our landing was an Australian architect and his wife. My wife's best friend from her primary school days had been his wife's chief bridesmaid.

We were on holiday in Majorca riding one of those four seater pedalo/bike type thingies with the kids in the front and us in the back when we heard somebody shouting my name and a lump as they jumped on the back.

Turned round to see our nextdoor neighbour hanging on for dear life. Neither of us had mentioned we were going on holiday and they were staying in a hotel about 1/2 mile down the road from us.

Also was friendly with a couple who went to Australia to see their son. They decided to do the Sydney Harbour bridge climb and were in the changing room for the safety talk and getting harnessed up.
There was another English couple there who casually asked them where they lived in England and it turned out they not only lived in the same town but just round the corner from each other on the same estate. They had both lived there for several years and had never once bumped into each other until they got to Australia.

Decided to wear my Seamaster 300 yesterday which hadn`t been worn for over six months , being an automatic watch it had stopped probably a day after it had been put in the safe but when i was about to set the time i noticed that it had stopped at the exact time that i was about to wear it - 12.50 to the very minute. :eek:

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom