What are these "W" Numbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Denis O

Car
SL350 R230
I was looking on ebay today and there are quite a few AMG wheels & tyres which seem to be reasonably priced. However they quote SL of W___ numbers as to what model they will fit.

I have an SL500 which is R reg although a 98 model year. What is my W nomenclature?

ah - you are lucky enough to own an SL . . which means you don't get a common old W number. You get an "R" number all of your own . . . R129 !!

Ah ha, an R number eh. Thanks for that Sym. So when someone on ebay quotes an SL W129 they are likely mistaken and really mean R129.
Anyone used ebay to buy wheels & tyres? Just wondering what I can expect in terms of quality, price etc.

Dennis,

E-Bay can be a very good place for bits and bobs and I have bought loads from it, I know of a Wheel and Tyre shop that use's the E-Bay Auctions and he does very well out of it. All of his either new or used wheels are in excellent condition as stated in his adverts.
I suppose really you take a bit of a gamble with E-Bay, however if the seller is local most encourage or wouldn't mind a pre-purchase/bid visit...

Originally posted by Denis O
So when someone on ebay quotes an SL W129 they are likely mistaken

No - they are DEFINITELY mistaken !

On the wheels & tyres subject - I bought mine on eBay, and got a good deal . . . there are probably just as good deals to be had elsewhere though, and it is worthwhile making sure you know what they are worth before bidding !

ok kunfoosed what is a W129 and a R129 me has a 500SL i thought it was a W129 but it would seem to be from reading the above an R129?

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP Please

thanks in anticipation

David

Not strictly true - all MB are W*** (Wagengestell means chassis) - they have 'secondary' codes like R129 for roadster, C215 for coupe though it's still a W215 etc.

Purists will argue over both points - W113 owners refute the R113 mark for example.

This is where the confusion sets in. A C208 is still a W208, as is an A208.

Think of W208 as the chassis code, A208 / C208 as the body code.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom