What are your thoughts and experiences towards reliability when modifying the M113K?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

epicnerdrage

Car
SL55 AMG (2002) MSL Modified
Hi all, so my car is standard with the exception of a remap (DMS Automotive) and a resonator delete. I have got used to the power now, and from a recent trackday, I'd like to push it further with a smaller pulley, cooling etc.
I spoke to DMS Automotive again, and they are refusing to do anything else to the car, as they say they are unreliable and anything more than a map is likely to cause problems 🤷‍♂️

I find this a little odd, since many have had smaller pulleys, headers, intakes etc... I am looking to take mine to MSL instead, as they seem to be the experts in this according to the forum, but I am keen to get some feedback from owners of modified M113K's to see if there have indeed been reliability issues, or if DMS perhaps don't know the cars that well?

I am leaning towards a 77mm pulley, cooling and map BTW

Thoughts?

Did I hear you correctly ? someone has told you that (the legendary) M113(K) engine is unreliable !??? It is possible to blow up any engine if you do not know what you are doing , but an M113 engine is quite low on the list of 'Engines likely to eat themselves alive when tuned'...

The mind boggles.

In their defence the total destruction of M113 engines due to the hardened o ring in the oil pick up failing linked to the (unforgivable) total lack of oil pressure warning lamp has (anecdotally) only happened during track use 🤔

There will be even more M113 N/A's about at the end of days , the K's are positively stressed compared to the N/A 's :p. I am now even more curious as to what exactly was said by DMS to the OP.

I spoke to them yesterday. I told them that the map they gave me was great, but I want to take it to the next level and asked what the options were. They told me that they will not take this car any further due to reliability issues. I asked him what he meant and he replied, taking it further will reduce driveability and your enjoyment of the car and they are just too unreliable, we wont be touching it.

I thought it was odd too, especially considering when I was there, they were telling me how they developed their own pulley crank upgrade, how I could look at TB and headers etc. now 4 months on, they have no interest in touching SL55's... maybe they had a bad experience, who knows... but its odd for sure. I couldn't be bothered to try and talk to someone else there or push the conversation. They don't want my money, fine, off to MSL I go I guess

So in the spirit of trying to understand how these mods could affect the long term reliability of the car, after speaking to MSL, this is what I am thinking:

77mm pulley & remap
Weistec dual pass heat exchanger
Kleemans sport cat headers
Quaife LSD
euro charged TCU tune

What are the thoughts on this, and is it likely to cause me issues? I trust MSL, don't get me wrong, but I am trying to find out opinions from those who have lived with mods like this, and how it has affected anything

If you have spoke with Acid at MSL trust him 💯 he knows AMGs he will only tune to a (safe) figure 😉 unless you choose to go further which then he will talk about the downfalls he's not a guy who will take your money and run

I had a smaller Eurocharged supercharger pulley although I forget the size now and a Eurocharged remap.

Also had Kleemann long tube headers and full DECAT.

All of this on an E55K running an M113K.

Never put a foot wrong in the two years I kept it, except early doors it needed an uprated IC pump as the standard one, even when working, is shyte.

I understand it's been fine ever since (5 years) as far as I know.

I would use MSLP personally as I trusted them implicitly with my car and they always do/did the figures.

Imran did a great job of the cross pipe on my exhaust as well.

I'm surprised DMS didn't fit a smaller pulley when the car was originally remapped. Without it, it wouldn't have made a lot more power than stock. I don't understand their reluctance to add a smaller s/c pulley at this stage to take the car up to around 560bhp. As for saying anything more than a map is unreliable is incorrect just looking at the number of M113K engines that MSL have remapped and boosted over the years.
You are correct in thinking about using MSL. They really are the best when it comes to tuning AMG engines.

I took my E55k to MSL. M113k engine, my2005.
Had a77mm pulley, remap and replaced the cooling pump with a Johnson one. Had a few exhaust mods whilst there too.
That was four years ago and it’s still running well, never really felt the need to take it any further.
It runs 540 bhp and forget the torque figure, but it’s plenty.
If I was to go on a quest for more power, I would fit a lsd as my next mod before embarking on Weistec, Kleemans performance parts.

@AMGeed Thats interesting... I had mine remapped at DMS and it made really good gains. I wonder if my pulley isn't standard and I just didn't know it...
SL55.png

EDIT: Actually no that wouldn't make sense, as before map it was 493hp, which is stock power... So confused

That is a big gain for just a map on an M113K??
As in Post #13. even with a 77mm pulley and map, Brian's car didn't make the same power as yours.
It would be interesting to see what power its putting out on MSL's dyno

I spoke to them yesterday. I told them that the map they gave me was great, but I want to take it to the next level and asked what the options were. They told me that they will not take this car any further due to reliability issues. I asked him what he meant and he replied, taking it further will reduce driveability and your enjoyment of the car and they are just too unreliable, we wont be touching it.

I thought it was odd too, especially considering when I was there, they were telling me how they developed their own pulley crank upgrade, how I could look at TB and headers etc. now 4 months on, they have no interest in touching SL55's... maybe they had a bad experience, who knows... but its odd for sure. I couldn't be bothered to try and talk to someone else there or push the conversation. They don't want my money, fine, off to MSL I go I guess

Almost sounds like they tuned one, it went wrong and someone got legal on them ...

Honestly, I have no idea, I'm just getting mine booked into MSL now. I'm looking forward to seeing what the dyno shows there when they get it

Signs there of a delusional mind.

Oddly this didn't quote sdk884.

Op, my e55k had a 77mm pulley and eurocharged map. It made 522bhp and 634lbft on MSLs rollers.

I’m running 600bhp and 700ftlb on the MSL Dyno.

Acid is the man who knows these cars inside out especially when it comes to tuning.

Absolute legend of a guy and will advise you on everything from how the map is looking to cooling and anything else.

I’ve had my car at this modified level for around four years now and runs absolutely fine with no issues yet.

Whats the mileage on the OP's car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom