What brake fluid and how many litres to bleed the front and rears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chanyboi

Car
clk 240
Having concluded my life is worth more than £160 (after members discount on ECP) for new Pagid brake discs, pads and sensors I thought i may aswell go the extra mile and bleed all the brakes after installation. :bannana:

I have a few questions which I would appreciate if anyone could help me with:

1) Any recommendations on a brand and spec of fluid to use? all I know for my 2002 Merc CLK 240 is I need Dot 4.

2) How many litres of brake fluid will I need to bleed the full system, will 1ltr be enough or do i need more? (front and rear)

3) Does anyone also know if I need to turn my engine on to bleed the brakes or can I do it traditionally with the engine off?

Thanks

Andrew

Do you mean change the fluid, or bleed as in get the air out? Putting pads etc in shouldn't have introduced any air into the system. As long as the pedal is not soft they don't need bleeding. With my Clk I couldn't get the last of the air from the rears until I used a pressure bleeder after fitting new pipes, not sure why.

When to replace brake fluid.

Good morning people,when do you know when it is time to change the brake fluid,is it as important as the manual makes out.I have an SL350 with 57000 miles so does it need doing.

Just to say.... that given the low cost of the brake fluid itself, I wouldn't buy anything other than the original MB stuff. I know they don't make it themselves, but the difference in cost is probably only a few quid?

1945wickedred said:
Good morning people,when do you know when it is time to change the brake fluid,is it as important as the manual makes out.I have an SL350 with 57000 miles so does it need doing.

Mercedes recommend that the fluid is changed every 2 years.
Being an SL you will probably have SBC brakes which means they will need pressure bleeding & checking on star afterwards to check for air.
Get mercedes or an Indi that has the correct equipement to carry it out

well there is no air in my system but I just want to change the brake fluid as my service history doesn't include when it was last changed.

How long have you had the Car?
If in doubt change it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom