What can be done with Diagnostic tool?

Discussion in 'Performance Lounge' started by zeemax100, Apr 26, 2015.

1. zeemax100

zeemax100 New Member

Car:
    clk55 amg
    A friend of mine who runs a small workshop has just bought a Mercedes Diagnostic tool. I have a 2004 model clk55 AMG, standard apart from quad exhaust, fitted after secondary cats, pretty much straight through pipes after. When driving slowly in Auto, the gearbox changes so that at times I am only going 20/30mph but auto has put the car into 5th gear. There is no need for it to be in such a high gear at such a slow speed. My question is, what can my friend do via his Diagnostic tool to improve things and how to do it? What else could be done via diagnostic tool to possibly make the car run better? Thanks in advance.

2. BFT

BFT Guest

Car:
    SL55 AMG
    It's a diagnostic tool. It can query ecus in high level and make minor changes to small things in the ECU.

Changing shift points/boost pressure etc is only by a remap.

3. OP
    OP
    zeemax100

zeemax100 New Member

Car:
    clk55 amg
    Thanks for your reply, yes resetting is what I had in mind and maybe putting things into learning mode. I had the gearbox in mind and maybe the air/fuel mixture. Would that be possible or could it have negative results?

4. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    Are there any codes?

Get him to check all the live data for the gearbox.

Have you had the gearbox fluid changed?

If he not familiar with a Star then he may struggle a bit at first.

5. OP
    OP
    zeemax100

zeemax100 New Member

Car:
    clk55 amg
    Yes as soon as I bought the car I checked and changed the gear box oil, engine oil and Plugs. He did plug my car in yesterday and deleted a few old faults. I asked him about resetting gearbox etc, he said the car seems to have more than one ecu??? He read out several codes but I didn't know which referred to the gearbox commands etc. maybe I'm better of leaving it but seems a shame to waste a free way to maybe improve performance or mpg etc

6. OP
    OP
    zeemax100

zeemax100 New Member

Car:
    clk55 amg
    I am also desperate to flare the arches on my CLK, there seems to be nothing available for my car other than a black series full bodykit which is out of my price range. I have seen universal flared arches on EBay, has anyone any experience in these? I would not want the rivets to be seen so would need blending to wings before spraying. Just want a slightly wider look!

7. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    It has one Engine Control Unit.

A Star won't improve MPG or performance. Ever. If he doesn't know what he is doing or looking at then find someone that does. The skill is interpreting the data.