What can I use to cut back paint? T Cut?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dj_efk

Car
280ce
:confused:

I have a red 280ce W123 Coupe that needs a darn good cut back and polish.

Thoughts on what to use? I have T Cut Colour Restorer but can't help thinking there's better out there.

Avoid T cut - have you ever seen a professional body shop or detailer using it???

If it's really hazy you'll need either a very large tub of elbow grease or a DA polisher and appropriate pad.

As for what to use - I'd suggest you spend some research hours on A world for detailers.... For sure, before paint correction you need to prep the paintwork by washing then claying then washing again. You'll find instructions on DW.

I've gone through this with my Guards Red 968 coupe - for paint correction I used Autoglym Bodyshop 03B/02B/01B (in that order) but 3M do good paint correcting stuff too - saw a highly respected pro bodyshop using their products.

Do your research BEFORE you buy anything - have fun on DW!!

Thanks for that, where can I buy those products, take it Halfrauds won't stock them?

I know some people will poo poo this but macguiars do a great 3 stage range, the first is a paint restorer similar to t cut but not as abrasive. The second stage is the polish and third is the wax.
I have done this on all my cars and it really does work - work hard on stages one and two then just keep topping up with the wax to keep it shiny and protected.

I have the same 3 Maguiars products in my garage, they were the first thing I tried - but they're now redundant, the AG products with a water spray are, IMHO, much better, as is AG HD wax as the top coat.

AG Bodyshop stuff is supposedly only available to pro bodyshops, but I'm lucky enough to have a fairly local place to buy, plus it's available on eBay. 3M stuff is available from 3M online or on eBay.

DJ, what part of the world are you?

What are the differences in finish, why is Maguires redundant, does it not dry hard and easily is scratched?

Is there a product that will stop the swirls better than another on account of it drying harder or something...??

Just like the "what is the best wax" thread, we all have our personal preferences. I tried the 3 stage Megs, also Megs NXT, AG Bodyshop 01B/02B/03B, AG HD wax, Swissvax paint cleaner, Swissvax Onyx wax and am now trying another wax - a paste wax that's £7.50 per 400ml tub compared to £57 for 200ml of Onyx!

As I've said before, there are finishes from A (AG) to Z (Zymol), and you'll find someone who swears that each one is the best!

Detailed has knocked it on the head 3M will pretty much cover all your bases.

p.s T-Cut is not all doom & gloom - it has a place and as a product does a job. Just need to remember to get correct T-Cut, i.e Metallic, Solids etc. It can also be applied via machine.

I used to work in a body shop and we used to use something called 'cutting compound' - sorry cannot remember the brand - but it worked very well indeed. We also used, and I still use, T Cut, which I reckon is great stuff. As with any of these products aimed at restoring gloss/colour, they work by removing the very thin dull surface so you really need to make sure your car has a decent thickness coat of paint left other wise you can go through the top coat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom