What can't you do DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Mirror Man

Car
W211 E270 CDI Elegance.Rover 75 Tourer
...to an E class? I know a lot depends on ability, but aside from that, what can't be done?

Unless you've got experience and the right welder, I wouldn't attempt doing your own welding. - I've got a friend who says the rule of thumb is don't work on any part that you can't lift by yourself.

By that logic: engine modifications that don't require you to take the block out; suspension parts, but not axles; interior and trim parts; external bodywork, but not welding or modifying the monocoque.

I've got a friend who says the rule of thumb is don't work on any part that you can't lift by yourself.

After coming unstuck on various bits of things over the years, I totally agree with this. Neighbours hate me now (Just give me a lift with this gearbox/subframe/axle for a minute please):D

Most jobs involving electronics without the correct diagnostic equipment. The more modern the model is the more proprietorial the diagnostic equipment becomes . If I was to put a date on it I would say post 2008-2010 ish forget anything but the simplest wiring/fuse replacement without the right kit.

Cheers guys. it is likely to be a 2003-06 270 or 320cdi.
I never touch the electrical fizzy stuff. It's the mechanical things I am wondering about. At present I do all my own maintenance: servicing, changing suspension, brake, ancillary parts, even the clutch and gear box on my previous car. I have all the general tools and workshop. But I keep hearing that you can't work on an E class and was wondering if special tools were needed for jobs that just need standard tool on other makes.

Remember if its a W211 the early ones had SBC brakes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom