What Car - tide starting to turn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tangey

Car
GLC250D
As long as I can remember, to me What Car always seem to have a special "thing" for BMWs (and Ford).

Well, looks like things are changing if March's edition is anything to go by.

Three side-by-side tests

1)Audi Avant V BWM 3 series Touring V Merc C220d estate
1st the Audi, 2nd the Merc, 3rd the BMW

2)BMW X3, V Discovery Sport V GLC
1st the disco sport, 2nd the Merc, 3rd the BMW
(disco mostly got it because of the 7 seats)

3) BMW 4 series V C220d coupe
1st the Merc, 2nd the BMW

Add in the glowing 4 page "first look" at the new E series, and you start to wonder if this edition was "subsidised"

The S Class also beats the 7 series in one of their head to heads.......

New E class looks like a belter. I love the look of the dash, it's like a 9/10ths S class.

Add in the glowing 4 page "first look" at the new E series, and you start to wonder if this edition was "subsidised"
More likely BMW's advertising contract is up for negotiation :D

Seriously for a moment, BMW spend heavily on advertising in the UK - and it works for them.

I go on the analogy of what car is best for me, not What Car.

I am of the same opinion that What Car is BMW biased and most of the times underscores other brands (including Mercedes) to favour BMW but I dont think habits change that easily unless big money is involved

I am not sure that What Car is biased as such... over the past 20 years it went like that (almost) every year with (almost) every motoring magazine...:

3 series beats C-Class AND vice versa

5 series (almost) always beats E-Class

S-Class always beats 7 series

Looks like BMW has renewed its What Car advertising contract after all...

It’s official. The BMW 5 Series 520d SE has won the prestigious What Car? Car of the Year 2016, Best Large Executive Car.
The BMW 5 Series 520d provides a truly exceptional driving experience: Xenon headlights and BMW Navigation as standard guide the way while precise handling, combined with the economy provided by the latest BMW EfficientDynamics technologies, make for a drive unlike any other.

Last edited:
Looks like BMW has renewed its What Car advertising contract after all...
And how nice for them to get such a quick return on investment :D

All joking aside, I am firmly of the opinion that many of the UK motoring journo's are either indirectly on BMW's payroll or are smoking something. The 3-series that they wax so lyrical about is, in its smaller-engine versions at any rate, imo far from special and in some respects - such as steering feel - downright poor. Yet they consistently tell everyone how great it is :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom