What car to restore?

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'20 SLC Final Edition, Lexus IS 300h, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
Over at the Autocar forum, there's an interesting thread, started by the only Autocar journo worth reading, James Rupert, about what car you would restore, if you could do anything..

My answer was a late 60s Camaro SS...what car(s) would you guys ideally restore, if time, skill and money allowed?

Mudster

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
Jensen Interceptor MkIII

I add a caveat though, I'm not into OCD replicate everything as it left the factory or better. I subscribe to the modern engineering/period look school of restoration, so i would update (better) what I could without spoiling the original ethos of the car.

Last edited:

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
I'll have to have a think overnight about this one lol

shorty

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4 , Ducati 999 , mr2
it would have to be a MK2 Jaguar . I always loved the red one from "Inspector Morse" .

Honey Bear

Car
'95 W202 C200 Elegance
Mercedes SSK - Most that have survived are pretty mint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Some variety of E type Jag, methinks.

However, I'm with Mudster on the re-engineering front as it would have reliable electrics, brakes that work etc.

Cheers,

Gaz

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Audi A8 50 Tdi, Mazda MX~5, Land Rover Defender, VFR1200
Well I just wouldn't! I'm probably old enough to be nostalgic about these things, but all the 'classic' cars I have driven have always been massive dissapointments.:(
My father collected a fair few vintage cars and I have had access to some very expensive Bentleys and Jaguars and despite the lovely looks I would never be happy with the way they drive!
To me, it is function and not form that floats my boat, and the best that can be said of old cars is that they are 'of period' ;):devil:

mykulmerc

Car
W209 CLK 270 Avantgarde
Triumph Herald 13/60 Estate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom