What car would you choose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C36fan

MB Enthusiast
Car
‘15 C63, ‘15 CLS63, ‘01 E55, 01 ML55 ‘16 Vito 119CDI
I find myself struggling with some gadgets my cars come with , sometimes drive me mad !!
When I buy a car I look for performance , good cruiser , but I like it simple .
So I ask would you rather have a car with all the toys and gadgets or a car simple with outstanding performance ?

Obviously an adequate mix of everything otherwise I would ride a motorbike and be driven in a Rolls.

or a car simple with outstanding performance ?

^^^ This. To hell with the marketing boll0x of features that are really not required but require the support of a warranty or extended warranty.

My ideal modern car would have only:

Electric Windows.
Remote Central Locking.
Air Con.
Traction Control.
Cruise Control.
ABS.
Heated Mirrors & Washer Jets.

So, in theory a very low spec should make the car cheaper, lighter and less prone to giving trouble.

Last edited:
^^^ This. To hell with the marketing boll0x of features that are really not required but require the support of a warranty or extended warranty.

My ideal modern car would have only:

Electric windows.
Remote Central Locking.
Air Con.
Traction Control.
ABS.
Heated Mirrors & Washer Jets.

So, in theory a very low spec should make the car cheaper, lighter and less prone to giving trouble.

What about those little designer umbrellas that pop out of the frame when you open the rear doors ?

What about those little designer umbrellas that pop out of the frame when you open the rear doors ?

Good one Scott_F, yep o.k. , I'll give you that one. Always handy for beating the crap out of cyclists. ;):D

Well I had loads of option's on the Merc which I used on a daily basis but on 7 series it come's with more than enough as standard that I don't really miss much except Distronic or Active Cruise control as BMW call it.

Not sure a sunroof is required as standard on C63s

I once had a Range Rover Vogue.... it had everything. When I sold it, as I drove to the Merc dealer to pick up the first AMG, i noticed it had a sunroof.... I had never used it.

Have had many cars with sunroofs, for me a usless extra.

I used to be all into the bare basics, didn't want ESP, ABS, just wanted a metal box with a chair and an engine.

Over the years of getting better cars with better equipment, I was sat in lovely heated seats I can move around with buttons, never had to take my hand of the wheel because I went automatic and had buttons on the steering wheel, hell I don't even need to keep my foot on the accelerator on long cruises any more. So now I'm totally the other end of the scale. I love the safety stuff, pre-safe, brake assist, love that it dims my rear view at night so I'm not dazzled. I arrive at the destination more refreshed and relaxed than I was when I set off! I'm only 26, but I'd take luxury over performance all day long. The C280 has great pull in a straight line so I'm not at all frustrated with performance. Looking forwards to the day I can afford an S class. :D

I'm getting fat(ter) old and lazy - really love the blind spot assist on my CLS, so much so that I just bought Mrs RSK a new car with it on too. Have recently been using the radar cruise thingy too and rather like that.

Next one I get is going to have the comfort cooled seats too :)

I've never been one for gidgets gadgets.
I have no need for many of them.

Things like wipers, for example.

I am all for drive train and suspension cleverness - ECUs and programmable options are great.

As for creature conforts... not too bothered about cockpit and cabin gadgetry. The important bits are SatNav and Bluetooth, and good instrument cluster.

Have had many cars with sunroofs, for me a usless extra.

I have the sunroof open on most journeys, but I have a simple rule when specifying a sunroof on a new car.

IF headroom=big THEN sunroof=1 ELSE sunroof=0

So SUVs with, saloons and estates without :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom