What CLK to get, decisions, decisions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tombre

Car
BMW 525
Hi.
I'm looking to get a CLK for the better half, I want to get a diesel Auto. They seem to have a variety of engines, 200, 220, 270, which one makes more sense for fuel efficiency, power, issues etc.
Is there anything I need to focus on, which version and year would be recommended.
There's no doubt these are classy cars, I can't wait to get one.

Sorry for all the questions, I want to be as well informed as I can.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards
Tom

Last edited:
+1,performance & economy for a big v6.

Try to get a post facelift model - mid 2004 onwards. The main difference is in the electrics/interior. Also said to resist corrosion better. As above 320cdi is a great combination although the 220 is not at all bad either. Personal preference is for avantgarde/sport spec - look much better in my opinion.

The 220CDI is probably the best compromise .

The 200CDI will feel sluggish in comparison and will only be a tiny bit more frugal.

The 270CDI is a cracking engine with masses of torque, however I think it's an overkill in terms of performance and it won't deliver the mpg you might expect from an economical diesel engine .

So in short the 220CDI is probably the best choice on balance. My view...

Hi all.
Thanks for all your opinions, I think I follow advice given to me here, that's post 2004 220CDI Avantgarde. I had pretty much settled on that spec
Do these have any mechanical defects or faults.

My BMW had 'swirl flaps' in the inlet manifold, a disaster if ingested into the engine, also auto box needs oil and filter around 100k. All these cost £0k's and good information to have in your possession.

Thanks to you all for your posts.

i just joined i have a Mercedes CLK Avantgarde 2.6 Convertible

The 220CDI is probably the best compromise .

The 200CDI will feel sluggish in comparison and will only be a tiny bit more frugal.

The 270CDI is a cracking engine with masses of torque, however I think it's an overkill in terms of performance and it won't deliver the mpg you might expect from an economical diesel engine .

So in short the 220CDI is probably the best choice on balance. My view...

I nearly always get 50mpg on a motorway trip in my 270cdi

Hello kolodeno.
And welcome. Don't forget to introduce yourself, (preferably with pictures) in the new members section.

Tombre- We went looking for exactly that sort of thing and came back with a BMW Z4.:eek: We are getting 37mpg out of the 2.0 litre petrol version and it is cheap to maintain. If your wife munches down the miles it may be better to stick with a CLK but for lots of short journeys the differential is minimal.

Sorry for going off piste but as we started in exactly same place as you I thought you may be interested.
:thumb:

I browsed your car pictures KillerHertz, wow. It's magnificent. Your MPG is very impressive but it may be too much as she only want a clk for pottering, her phrase not mine.
Thanks finisterre, we have looked at numerous makes and models from BMW's, Mini's even the Fiat 500 (I shuddered with that one) etc. the clk is her choice and I have to say I'm well impressed.
I don't know Redbaron if the 200 CDI was Ireland only, I saw one was sold last week, if I can a locate a link to it I'll post it for your attn.

Last edited:
200cdi will be too slow.

220cdi and 270cdi model. They are brilliant. The 320cdi is more refined and very powerful but its not as robust IMHO as the 220cdi and 270cdi

200cdi will be too slow.

220cdi and 270cdi model. They are brilliant. The 320cdi is more refined and very powerful but its not as robust IMHO as the 220cdi and 270cdi

As above. The 220 and 270 are both very good engines

Ok Guys.
I will let you all know what model I finally managed to get, I have time on my hands so I can afford to be picky. I'll post some pics.

Many Thanks to you all, I really appreciate it.

Welcome mate, i have the 270cdi and love it, as above can get best part of 50mpg on a run and still can 40 on my normal day to day work and back which is a mix of driving...

In the real world the 270 will give you equal mpg to the 220. It was the most economical car I've owned. I have a spreadsheet somewhere but I averaged over 45mpg over 3 years and 90,000miles. Best tank was 53mpg.

It's no racing car but for diesel it doesn't hang around.

My Wife had a New 2005 220CDI Auto
It was S U P E R B , Economical 45 + on a Run, kept it 3 years and looked as good the day we sold it as it did when it was new
Economical never missed a beat and still Her favorite car of all time, so much so she wants to find a cab !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom