What controls the turbo actuator?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Noticed my actuator does not move - ever.

The turbo on the OM613 is pretty solid and has no play and seems to spin ok.

I have tested the vacuum pip to the actuator and even changed the actuator.

The vacuum transducer seems ok, swapped it with one I had lying around. Same with the MAF.

What's left? Stumped

Does it depend on which turbo it is? - Newer cars tend to have electrically operated actuators, but the earlier ones used boost to open the wastegate.

Obviously Mercedes might do it differently, but the turbo in my Nissan is definitely boost controlled (at 0.5bar on the actuator spring).

You won't ever see it move unless you go for a drive while sitting on top of the engine!
If it didn't work your car would be flat to drive as the turbo won't work.

Looking at some videos, it seems it should move on throttle blip? Forgot to mention this is for my W210 OM613 320cdi with vacuum actuator

Different engine but seen a few videos like this one

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

How does it drive?

How does it drive?

Starts off ok then limps intermittently. When it goes, it flies but can lose power even if just driving slowly.

No smoke.

Does sound like a bad MAF. Are you sure the ones you've tried definitely good? Have you had it plugged in anywhere to see what's logged?

Yes revs past 3000 fine when not limping.

I have changed it for another genuine good MAF I have. It did log a P1403-032 EGR fault which cleared.

I may take the EGR off again and check it's condition. Really has me stumped as does not just go in limp under load, could be anytime

Could be a sticking egr, you could disable it using the thread on here to rule it out completely.

Could be a sticking egr, you could disable it using the thread on here to rule it out completely.

I have the shunt, just not fitted. I did try it a couple of years ago and it caused limping so I removed it until the limp is sorted.

I had a Mercedes with a tuning box that kept giving boost spikes randomly sending the car into limp mode. Took a while to figure that out and eliminate it.

No, no tuning boxes or maps. This is the reason I have not done the EGR shunt yet because if the EGR is not closed/closing properly, will still limp.

When I'm a bit better will take it apart again and have a look

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom