What convertible Super GT/Sports car £18-25k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi

I've started threads like this before, each time creeping closer to reality.
I'll be looking to buy either before or after summer. I'm after a sports car/super GT that I can keep for 18 months and after selling always be happy that I owned one.

The ultimate car would be a Ferrari but thats out of the price range.

My thoughts are Maserati 4280 Spyder, Aston DB7. I'm looking from revision other ideas. The Maserati would be great but the running costs seem very high, however for 18 months I'll be able to stomach it.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

+1 for the SL
Or dare I say it........
a CL!

Or even more daring.....
an SM!!!!

His daily needs are already attended to by Mercedes so what he wants is an exotic mistress that occasionally bites back but soon smooths things over for a suitable reward. Maserati then, but the clever choice would be a targa Honda NSX for being exotic, reliable and a clear supercar statement. An excellent one should be had in that price range.

davidmi said:
His daily needs are already attended to by Mercedes so what he wants is an exotic mistress that occasionally bites back but soon smooths things over for a suitable reward. Maserati then, but the clever choice would be a targa Honda NSX for being exotic, reliable and a clear supercar statement. An excellent one should be had in that price range.

You mean he wants a car that needs lots of maintaince, breaks down a lot, costs the price of a house when new and has stupid repair bills and drinks fuel faster than George Best drinks lager.

A DB7, or a Maserati product fits the bill nicely for the above paragraph which sums up exotic cars. An NSX, Porsche or BMW product would be far to sensible.

Depreciation hasn't been mentioned yet. Some £25k cars quickly become £15k cars.

NSX look to have good residuals as do some Porsche (air cooled) I believe.
Lotus Evora might fall in to your price bracket within a year or so.

Lots of choice out there - hard to know where to begin sometimes.

JAGUAR XK ?? nice early examples of the latest model are now in that price range and won't evacuate your wallet /credit card. Earlier examples are even cheaper and in the right colour???

Last edited:
I saw an XK8 convertible advertised for less than £5k last week. Nice

Porsche 911?
SL55?

What's your budget for running costs and what sort of usage will it be getting?

A cheap Ferrari is going to end in tears I reckon. Not sure on the Maserati but I expect it could be an expensive ownership experience.

You need to do your homework on whatever car you buy, as some of the maintenance jobs can really stack up - if it's due a service, plus say discs, tyres, belts etc you'll be into ££££ straight away.

Always best to buy the best example of whatever you're looking at, you should get a premium come resale also :)

At 18k-25k the ONLY answer is an R230.......anything else is simply not good enough or financial suicide.

Mic

i disagree there is nothing else - and a 230 could easily cost you just as much to sort if roof etc go wrong.

I would second a previous mention - £25k would get you a printing 993 C2 or C4. Possibly even a 2s if you went a bit higher on miles and don't do many yourself.

If anything, a good looking after and tidy up will mean you should sell it for evens if not more than you paid.

911virgin a good place to look, Strasse, Gmund, Autobahn, Paragon, Cridfords all good dealers in the independent sphere.

Would avoid a 996 911 as these still have a bit of bottoming out to do.

this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3603072.htm

Put clear lenses around where needed and swap the wheels for the later 18" and these still look and sound great. More than that they are becoming a true collectors item outside of just porsche collectors. Plenty still going at 160k+ miles too.

Manual should still do 60 in sub 6 secs IIRC.

Last edited:
Current shape Jaguar XK. Look very good value at the moment, or you may sneak, a Good 997 Porsche 911 at top of price range.

Lotus Evora in 8 to 9 months!

Running costs I have factored £2-3k.

As much as I like the SL's I don't think they really compare to a Maserati or Aston. At £25k I won't be at the cheaper end for those cars either, so should get a decent example.

Porsche always worth a look at this money.

One thing about the DB7, wouldn't running costs be closer to an XK8?

Thanks all, and whilst this is a Mercedes forum - we have two in my house, and this forum is also a petrolheads forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom