What could be causing this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dokalj

MB Enthusiast
Hi all,

I hope everyone is well.

I have noticed for a while that there is some oil or diesel in my engine bay.

Could it be the boost pipe above leaking oil/ diesel?

Is the oil or diesel present be caused by the boost pipe not sitting properly?

Or is it more serious than that?

Pics below.

Also, I have noticed at start up there is smell of diesel when standing next to the driver's door and I can hardly smell it when I am at the back of the car or anywhere else?

Thanks

dokalj

Last edited:
It couls be the inlet manifold gaskets leaking. whan this happens it throws oil everywhere

Thanks Olly.

Firstly, I did notice some oil at the join of where the boost pipe connects to the EGR.

However there was not that much oil.

If it is the inlet manifold gasket, is this an expensive part/ relatively easy repair?

Lastly, would performance be affected, such as the MAF?

Thanks

dokalj

Do you have the cabin heater fitted for rapid warm up on cold days?? If so these can give off a smell of diesel at the front of the car.

ML's don't have them. They have an electric one on the side of the block

Thanks Olly.

Firstly, I did notice some oil at the join of where the boost pipe connects to the EGR.

However there was not that much oil.

If it is the inlet manifold gasket, is this an expensive part/ relatively easy repair?

Lastly, would performance be affected, such as the MAF?

Thanks

dokalj

The parts are not expensive but it is labour intensive to do. Performance can be effected as if the manifold is leaking you will be loosing a little boost pressure.

Look on the underside on the side of the block for oil.

Update.

I cleaned the oil and I noticed a little bit of oil from the boost pipe.

I also noticed some gas/ air blown when I rev the engine by the inlet manifold???

I noticed the item in the red rectangle moves a little when idle and then when I hit the accelerator, and then stops if I rev the engine again.

There seems to be some oil and in this is area I could see the gas/ air being blown.

I think it is connected to the intake manifold.

Any ideas what it is and what it means?

Please see attached...

Thanks

dokalj

Last edited:
That is the inlet port shut off motor. It does move too.

It does look like the inlet manifold is leaking. I would get it done asap as it can make a mess of the engine bay if left.

5 hours work plus the gaskets.

Hi Olly,

Thanks.

The oil wouldn't have been caused by anything else would it?

So, do I require a new manifold, gaskets and port shut off motor?

Would this cause any problems with the car?

On the other hand, could it be just the gaskets leaking? Or does the manifold have to be changed and does it explain the air/ gas I could see?

Would STAR bring up a fault here?

Lastly, what is the estimated cost and if this has failed has MB improved the manifold and are there any other parts to check?

Thanks again

dokalj

It's just the gaskets that need replacing if the manifold is not cracked. They do tend to too.

Remove the manifold and inspect it.

Cost? It all depends what is found when the manifold is taken off.

Okay, so the inlet port shut off motor is fine?

Is it common for the gaskets to fail?

Will MB gaskets be fine or is there another manufacture that makes better quality?

The vehicle has not hit 100,000 miles yet, is it common for them to go before this?

Thanks

dokalj

So many questions.

I have know way of knowing if your inlet port shut off motor is fine.

I would use MB gaskets. They are actually rubber seals. They go hard over time so the mileage is irrelevant. I know of no other supplier of these seals.

Why don't you get it checked by a mb tech? This would be my first port of call. I can only offer my opinion on what you have told me and your pictures. The leak maybe from somewhere else????? The manifolds do crack too along their seams also.

Thanks Olly,

Not too worry, the questions have stopped for now hahaha lol

dokalj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom