What could this noise be? Paranoia? 😂

• Thread starter Deleted member 160853
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 160853

Hi all!

Video footage below of noise, left the engine running but it’s still relatively cold.

I *don't think* it’s the timing chain as the noise is originating from the front end of the engine bay. (Could be wrong)

Any idea what it could be or am I just being a paranoid! 🤣

If possible remove the drive belt and check all the pullies and alternator etc. Run the engine with the belt off to see if the noise is there still but only for a couple minutes max

If possible remove the drive belt and check all the pullies and alternator etc. Run the engine with the belt off to see if the noise is there still but only for a couple minutes max

Might have to take it to an Indy 😅

Might be worth taking engine cover off and checking connector arrowed. That was rattling on mine before securing it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210321-142838_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210321-142838_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210321-142754_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210321-142754_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Agree the connector can rattle, mine rattles and its the big air intake pipe from the front grill to the airbox. If I grab it and hold it the noise goes away.
I have also heard there is a metal part inside the turbo waste gate that can rattle. its not an issue just a bit noisy. I find these om651 do like to rattle their bits about...

A timing chain would be a loud fast clack clack noise after a cold start at the rear of the engine. Mine also made a tinny loud rattle to when it was failing from the rear of the engine. New chain and tensioner sorted it. Hopefully its not that though on yours.

Whats the age and mileage?

Just had another listen.. with the engine running grab the big plastic pipe at the top of the engine and move it up and down to see if you can make the noise goes away. Sounds very similar to mine.

It doesn't sound like the timing chain for sure..

Thanks guys, not had a chance to look into this yet but will check out what you've recommended and report back when I can! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom