What did you learn today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A friend takes his Jack Russel on shoots, a rather amusing sight when all you can see at first is a dead pheasant coming toward you at ground level until you spot the dog behind it.

I also find the low birds a problem. Actually I find the high birds difficult as well!

I have decided that I shoot for conservation!:D

Not as difficult as it is for the bird, who's done nothing to anyone and gets it's organs smashed to pieces by a bullet from some d*ck with a gun before being chewed by the dog (when it's still alive).

What happened to compassion?

Don't even get me started about them being reared in cages before being released right in front of the guns.

Let me guess, it's about maintenance of pheasant stocks and is, of course, for their own good.

learn+nothing+day.jpg

Last edited:
NO; 2 right deer boY11

My goodness they are Sharks arn 't they, magnificent!!!! Thank you France, only you could do that to this team :););0;)

I did learn last week that I have learnt nothiing in 36 years of marriage . We went to a friends ( Eileens ) 60th birthday party . MRSNOMONEY warned me that instead of sitting propping up the bar all night , I should get my lazy a*se on the dancefloor and be sociable . Well , first up was Chubby Checker and "The Twist " , so I did a passable (?) impression of the Twist ( ok, it was a 60th mind ) . Next was Kenny , and "The Bump " , now I may not be as agile as I was in the 70s , but managed a reasonable "Bump ". I was about to go and get another beer , only to be told to stay on the dancefloor a little longer . The very next record was Dexys Midnight Runners "Come on Eileen" ,
we left shortly after.;)

I learned that driving fast may not be big or clever, but it is a lot of fun!!!

Care to spill the beans Steve ?

I sense a story worth telling ...

Care to spill the beans Steve ?

I sense a story worth telling ...

I was running very late for work, and I mean very. I made it on time.

It came out in conversation, what time I left, and what time I had arrived and I was given stick about it (Helensburgh to the Erskine bridge turn in 15mins), but I had an awful lot of fun on what is a tedious run....

I trust you never got the pleasure of Strathclyde's Finest then ?

The standard poodle was bred a retriever (originally a German breed of course), and the modern show clip is a heavily stylised version of the way they were clipped for working. I used to compete in agility with a standard poodle, we did a tracking day once with a local working trials club and she was a complete natural at that. She adored wet weather too.

c9c6fd85.jpg

DiN.jpg

Spillers.jpg

Lovely. Here is the glamour puss from yesterday

photo-26.jpg

I knew of the breed origin but had never seen one in the field. She was young so untrained but with a natural retrieving instinct. Super dog.

I learned that removing the door mirror cover on my S500 is getting left for either another day or somebody that can do it.

Once that is done it is on to replacing the horns. No doubt that will be a bundle of laughs too ...

Went with the family to the boathouse at the park. Sign says '£7.50 per person'. Not sure why they hire boats by the person, and not by the boat, but that's another story. Elderly couple in the queue, turned-out to be American tourists. The boathouse is run by a couple of young lads. One of them asks for £20, and explains to the perplexed tourists that it's £7.50 per person, plus £5 deposit for the boat. The tourists are appalled, apparently they have only read the sign briefly and picked-up the £7.50, and not quite expecting boathouse to charge by person, assumed it was for the boat. They were very unhappy and said £15 for a boat ride is far too much, and left.

Now, the people who run the place can charge what they like and how they want, but...

What would have happened if the young lad - hearing the couple's complaint - said OK, I'll charge only £7.50 for the both of you?

Firstly, lack of compassion for older people is a worrying trend, apart form being impolite.

Secondly, it is not very hospitable to tourists and foreigners in general.

And, it's bad business... most of the boats were not even out. The boats do not consume petrol and there are no running costs. Letting the elderly couple go out in a boat for £7.50 would have meant £7.50 more in takings for the business.

So what do we have here... impolite and inhospitable approach that also costs the business money.

Back to the OP - what have I learnt today? That being compassionate and mindful of others does pay, if only you are willing to rise for the occasion.

(thinking about this some more, it is always possible that the two lads are simply working for a miser boss who would have sacked them for not charging the full fair)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom