What DNS server?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Howdy! Two questions really, one I'll find out tomorrow by calling Virgin (good old blueyonder ditched me :p) the other is an opinion thing.

- Does anyone know if Virgin/NTL/Blueyonder provide static IP's (even for a surcharge?)

- What DNS server would you recommend? I've been using 1and1 so far, but I don't have a static IP so had to get my site hosted elsewhere. Seen that I'm running a server 24/7, and that I don't get more than 100 hits a month (its a personal site for the moment :p) I feel that my connection has more than enough bandwidth...

I've heard of DynDns providing free dynamic DNS services; but only to a limit of 1000 hits. From the little I know, dynamic DNS servers need to set the timeout to a short amount of time so that every request goes back to the original DNS server and doesn't go to a possibly outdated cache... as such, 1000 hits would build up fairly quickly, wouldn't they? Even if its just me?

Michele

I believe NTL have static I/Ps assigned to yuor router and I am sure more are available.

It really depends on how much you want to spend per month... various packages with various ISPs are available with static IPs.

Regarding DNS services, I personally use UK2.net - they have been working great for me.

Hope this helps.

rgds
Was!

I believe NTL have static I/Ps assigned to yuor router and I am sure more are available.

It really depends on how much you want to spend per month... various packages with various ISPs are available with static IPs.

Regarding DNS services, I personally use UK2.net - they have been working great for me.

Hope this helps.

rgds
Was!

Actually, V/BY/NTL don't have static IP's. They have an interesting system; your IP is dynamic, but when your lease runs out (usually a 24 hours period), if your modem is on it will renew with the same IP. So if you never turn off your router for more than 24 hours, you should have the same IP... in theory...

The main reason I want to stick with BY/TLW/V is that I have cable. No other ISP that I know of offers fibre-optic cable - everyone else uses ADSL/ISDN etc over the POTS. I'm not a fan of copper... too many factors affecting speed and quality...

As for a DNS, I've registered with freeDNS.afraid.org - haven't had time to configure it properly, but it seems quite interesting. Just about everything is free, (but they like donations); and they will let you register "proper" domains (e.g. mbclub.com instead of mbclub.freedns.com). Thanks for the uk2; I'll have a look at them!

Michele

Last edited:
thing about asking for a static is they might see this as you moving from being residential to business. Its not normal for a residential customer to ask for a static.

Time for the eggshell shoes to be worn when calling them as you will have to walk over them without breaking any.

Hmmm... I see your point... That said, don't many "privates" have websites? Just because I choose to host my site myself (and learn something about servers while at it) doesn't mean I should.... sorry long day, I'll stop grumbling :p

I'll call them as a new customer and see what prices I get... in a few days can't be too bothered for now! Need to find 5 mins to fiddle with freedns still!

Michele

Howdy! Two questions really, one I'll find out tomorrow by calling Virgin (good old blueyonder ditched me :p) the other is an opinion thing.

- Does anyone know if Virgin/NTL/Blueyonder provide static IP's (even for a surcharge?)

- What DNS server would you recommend? I've been using 1and1 so far, but I don't have a static IP so had to get my site hosted elsewhere. Seen that I'm running a server 24/7, and that I don't get more than 100 hits a month (its a personal site for the moment :p) I feel that my connection has more than enough bandwidth...

I've heard of DynDns providing free dynamic DNS services; but only to a limit of 1000 hits. From the little I know, dynamic DNS servers need to set the timeout to a short amount of time so that every request goes back to the original DNS server and doesn't go to a possibly outdated cache... as such, 1000 hits would build up fairly quickly, wouldn't they? Even if its just me?

Michele

Freedom to surf offer static IP's to residential customers and business. They also offer 200MBytes of web space in the deal, unlimited hits if you are on the right package;)

For web hosting I use 1and1 for comand.co.uk they are pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom