What do people think of Lexus?

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by 01alam, Nov 30, 2008.

What do you think of Lexus?

Poll closed Dec 20, 2008.
  1. Love Them, They are Great!

21.3%
  2. Lexus! They Suck!

16.0%
  3. Well, I might trade my SL for an SC or a C-Class for an IS!

2.7%
  4. I am not bothered, they are cars and they are reliable!

60.0%
  1. 01alam

01alam Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Just a quick question about Lexus's. After watching tonights Top Gear, it has revived my all time hatred towards Lexus.

I do not actually know why I hate them, fine they are well built, but they are just boosted up Toyota's, and as a matter of fact I hate all Toyotas especially the RAV4 and Auris/Corolla.

I just don't see the point of a Toyota, for the same amount of money I could have got a Volkswagen or may be a Volvo or Saab! For that money it would have to be one of those and not a Toyota. I couldn't understand Lexus either, they are not cheap, they have stupid designs (don't know whether I am the only one who notices that an IS has a really ugly massive wing mirror, looks like ears of Mickey Mouse!). Furthermore for the same cash you could get a Merc or a Bimmer or just about anything. Tonight's Top Gear is a perfect example, who would choose a Japanese car that looks like a piece of soap for more than an M3.

2. Gucci

Gucci Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
    Not a fan then? Millions around the world of course do. They're very reliable cars and are good for those who just want a car as a functional object, than one of desire. As for Lexus, the Japanese are trying incredibly hard to beat the German brands. In some ways they succeed (Lexus are incredibly refined and well built) and then fail with the styling - see SC for details. I think the brand has credibility, but I don't desire one.

3. JasM

JasM Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2014 Range Rover SDV8 Autobiography
    An overpriced Toyota.

4. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Nowt wrong with them except that they arent a Merc :D

5. laf

laf Member

Owned a GS300 and I can certainly say they are not just overpriced Toyota's. I would have got an LS400 instead of the E320 I got if I could have found one that wasn't at a mileage it needed the cambelt doing on.

6. oldcro

oldcro Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE
    Last car was an IS250 SEL which i found to be well built and had all the toys. I do miss keyless-go, adaptive cruise control and reversing camera.

I found the ride was much harsher than expected, it felt more like a poor set-up sports model than a luxury cruiser.

Worse of all the car had little character and was lacking any soul compared to my present car.

7. DuFFmAn

DuFFmAn Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Dads got a GS450h and imho it is as good if not better then say the equivalent Mercedes E class!!

8. unit504

unit504 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A **** heap
    here here!

9. Dave Lewis

Dave Lewis Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '06 Subaru Forester 2.5XT, '98 Subaru Forester
    I spent some time with an LS400 a few years ago. Very good car, absolutely nothing wrong with it, but utterly boring and soulless. Not for me.

10. AndyS

AndyS Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 320 Elegance '99
    I sold Toyota's from 92 - 96 - it was the older models that amazed me:

MK 1 MR2 - loads of fun, mini Ferrari, nothing else like it on the road

Carina's & Corolla's etc, so reliable, really comfortable best equipement and boot space etc - i remember driving home a C reg Carina that I took in part ex - power steering, 4 x elec windows, elec sunroof, quiet engine, comfy seats - compare that spec to a Sierra of the same time..

Previa 2.4 Auto - at the time the only people carrier if you had 8 passengers and needed room for luggage.

Old 80's Corolla real wheel drive coupe's, i would always swap whatever demo i was driving for one of these if i took a nice one in PX - great fun

3l Supra Turbo's - mental in the wet

Lexus LS400, redefined luxury motoring standards in the early 90's

3 year warranties when all the Euro cars had a one yr warranty

Landcruiser VX around 93, p*ssed on RangeRovers at the time

I may be alone in this but i think the last generation Supra without a spoiler looks really good

etc..

Still much prefer my MB though..:cool:

edit:

looking at what I have just written i would say that IMO Toyota's best days are behind them.. the current range have nothing going for them really

Oh I had a RAV 4 when they first came out - they were in a league of their own at the time for handling and performance, infact if I remember rightly they had to change the gearing ratios because they were doing 0-60 sub 7 secs in testing - the five door versions had a habit of going onto 3 wheels when pushed round corners though..

we had a 3 door Rav 4 from the car show that was a Sony HiFi demo model in black, we got the wide arch body kit fitted to it like the Vitara's used to have but at the time it looked like nothing else on the planet, blacked out windows and the Sony mental sound system - as a 20 yr old i felt pretty cool driving into pub car parks along the Thames - I think i was an early chav!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  11. hawk20

hawk20 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
    Odd how the reliability myth continues about Lexus. In the FN50 survey of Britain’s largest fleet operators Lexus came eighth behind all the main German makes Bmw, Mercedes, VW and Audi.

And in the JD Power survey 2008 the E class missed top exec car by a whisker and finished in the top 10 of all cars for customer satisfaction.

Worth noting too that in the AutoExpress Driver Power 2008 survey it finished top executive car and finished 3rd overall of all the 100 cars in the survey.
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/driver_power_2008/

For JD Power see: -
    http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=55259

and: -
    http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-specia...612&EL=3243769

See also this thread: -
    http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=55483

Here is what JD Power say about Lexus: -
    "The
    Lexus IS is second in class and third overall.

Owners reported very good interior build quality, loved the way the car drives and looks, and rated
    Lexus dealers as among the best.

There are chinks in its armour, though. Mechanical reliability was only average; a number of owners reported engine faults. Running costs were so-so, with relatively steep fuel bills."

12. alanuk400

alanuk400 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Jaguar XJ-L x351
    I think it is thanks to the original LS400 that BMW & Mercedes had to improve. I had a 1991 LS400 with 400,000 Miles 6yrs ago, paid £2,000 for & sold 18 months later for £2,500 At the time the first LS400's were much better than anything else that the Germans could make.

Alan

13. vibesg

vibesg Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS 320 Cdi; Volvo XC90 D5; VW Polo tdi
    I've had both Lexus and Mercedes. You need to appreciate each car for what it is, what it offers and what it aims to be. Some drivers for reasons I cannot fathom love their Trabants. Some have driven Fords and Vauxhalls for years, have a little taste of BMW or Mercs and run right back to their fords and Vauxhalls.
    Many see Mercs as cars for show offs and wannabes, and BMWs for arrogant types (don't know where they get their views from but they are many).
    I appreciate Lexus for their build quality, equipment and hifis. Know the power band and when to exploit it and you can actually enjoy the rear drive chassis.
    Mercedes is a different kettle of fish. Very well made, torquey, lots of pedigree and fabulous feel good factor and not many on the road built like it.
    Don't go hating Lexus. Accept the cars for what they offer and let those who love them drive them......simple.

As for Jeremy I never listen to what he says. His

14. MangoMan

MangoMan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2000 W220 S500. 366U Azurite Blue. 264A Saffron Leather. Factory Shell Modification For AMG-Wheels
    Me, for one. :p

15. Ade B

Ade B Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
    Comparing an ML270 and a RX350 back to back a while back, the Lexus was a much nicer drive.. The ML (facelift) looked nicer from the driver's seat.

Horses for courses.

Ade

16. HughJarse

HughJarse Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    c250
    I had a corolla and it was an extremely reliable well "toy'd up" car.

Not sure about lexus though.

17. pauldmaynard

pauldmaynard Active Member

Car:
    W211 220CDI
    I have had many toyotas a yaris for 6 years Land crusier for 5 years a Previa for 6 years not one ever let me down & service that a MB customer can only dream of.
    Now I have a E-class in the the 1st 5 weeks it was in the garage for 4 of them now 7 months later it brokedown this Saturday & is back in the garage
    I have owned many new cars 2 BMWs, 1 Jaguar, 1 Opel, 2 Volvos, 3 Fords, 2 Renault 3 Mercedes trucks & 1 Renault truck all very diferent cars & trucks but all did the job they were bought for. Now I am retired I want a car that works & for me thats not MB ( what will Lexus give me for an 8 month old E-Class PX for one of their GREAT cars )

18. Londonscottish

Londonscottish Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E500
    I think that sums it up quite well

The RWD Corolla 16V had a massive following from our motorsport friends YEARS after it went out of production.

The MK1 MR2 was a revelation at the time - I jumped out of an Alfa into one in 1988 and was blown away by the handling balance.

I had an early GS300 as a hire car in the States (1995) and was very impressed wih the kit and actually with the handling (could have handled a lot more power though - it took a LOT of effort to get the rear unstuck).

I assume that Toyotas are still ahead in build quality but my experience of the Toyota Corolla Verso in 2005 is that costs have been cut on tactile things - cheap plastics, tinny doors and boot, shockingly cheap dampers, an engine that sounded like it should have been in a tug boat.

I hired a Civic recently and although the plastics and suspension were much more on par with, say, a VAG car the engine (petrol) was horribly thrashy and the (automated manual) gearbox was pretty crap.

Comparing these recent Japanese cards to the other holiday hires I've had in te last few years (Clio, Polo, 320d, Leon, Focus) the European cars seem of offer a more rounded experience. They don't seem to do anything badly. They therefore exude more of an air of percepible quality. They cost the same too. So all the Japaense seem to offer is greater reliability.

I personally would go down the Euro route and take the risk on reliability as I'd enjoy the driving/owning experiance far more.

19. Chris Akabusi

Chris Akabusi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes CLC
    My first post.....

I chose i love Lexus they're great.

I've owned a IS200 for the past 4 years and love it, I'll be really sad to see it go next week.

Ive just purchased a new CLC and i am coming across to the Mercedes Brand for the first time.

In my ownership of the car, other than tyres and brakes, i have had nothing else done to the car, its never skipped a beat. I can't put my finger on why i like them, i just do....

I was looking at getting a new IS, over the CLC, but i thought i'd save some cash and opt for a CLC. Also i'm not a fan of the 2nd gen IS styling, its all very 'samey' and bland, very BMW in my opinion. I'd happily return to the Lexus brand one day though

20. hawk20

hawk20 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML250 BlueTEC Sport Jan 2013
    I did the same comparison and preferred the ML270cdi (which I ended up buying). The Lexus had too much torque steer for my taste, lacked front legroom and had far less storage space in the boot. Only 60k guarantee versus MB's unlimited too.

Tags: