What do the F1 panel make of this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They'd end up looking like the LMP1 class cars.

And cup holders, and GPS, and AMG Alloys....

Indeed - I think it's quite a good idea and I think they could make it work.

Anything that makes F1 safer is a good thing in my book.

They'd end up looking like the LMP1 class cars.

Exactly.

F1 is an incredibly safe form of motorsport today - does it need turning into sport cars? Why not just ban it instead?

all comments coming from people never been anywhere near driving an F1 car professionally

i think we should ask Massa, or his family... see how they feel, that canopy would have prevented the injury altogether.

i have no problem with a canopy, it's not going to affect the sport at all as a competitive event.

They've been using these in Class 1 Offshore Powerboating for years.

It all started after a series of rollover accidents at 140mph+ which decapitated the crews.

Princess Caroline of Monacos ex hubby , Stefano Casiraghi bought the farm this way.

It just does not look right. They are supposed to be open top race cars. F1 is not safe. That is one of the reasons why people watch it and why the drivers do it.

If they fit them with the canopies can we stop all the restriction nonsense and get back to slicks, turbos, a gazillion horsepower and as many fuel stops as they want.

It's meant to be the pinnacle of motor racing after all ...

all comments coming from people never been anywhere near driving an F1 car professionally

i think we should ask Massa, or his family... see how they feel, that canopy would have prevented the injury altogether.

i have no problem with a canopy, it's not going to affect the sport at all as a competitive event.

Or better still, ask Massa and his family why he is still racing today after the accident. Ask Schumacher why he came back after the Massa and Surtees accidents.

Even better still, put huge soft bumpers on the cars, restrict them to 30 mph and remove any whiff of danger at all...

Will it have rain sensing-wipers?

On a serious note, won't it make the cars more aerodynamic?

On a serious note, won't it make the cars more aerodynamic?

Yes, but the 4 exposed wheels would remain which I imagine account for more drag than the driver's open cockpit.

In this age of drones and uav's surely we could leave the drivers in the Pit driving by remote :D

So what people are saying is we all watch F1 because it's dangerous?

Utter ********, if I wanted to watch something dangerous it certainly wouldn't be F1... a canopy makes no difference to how good a race is, but if it stops people dying (and let's face it webber is down to 1 of his 9 lives now) then why not?

Sport evolves, If this is the next step in the evolution of the sport then so be it.

MMA Used to be human cockfighting, no rules... then for safety reasons they introduced them, there has NEVER been a serious injury in the UFC because of such safeguards, does it make it less dangerous... No.

The NHL introduced new guidelines to stop the spate of concussions and neck injuries, it actually made the game faster as the more skilful players had the chance to actually play, the result a better game

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what any of us think, if the troll and the FIA decide on it, then you'll have to like it or lump it.

It would be like boxing with pillows attached to your fists or horse racing wearing a pressured suit.

Some sports have - and should have - an inherent danger present to give the sport to added fillip of potential injury to the participant - if they overstep the line.
Of course many F1 dangers have been reduced by the incorporation of many design improvements over the years - and quite rightly so. But to fully encapsulate the driver in a closed car would detract too much from the visual appeal. Why not go one step further and place a giant hoop round the entire car like on public access go-karts?
You have to draw a sensible line somewhere.
This smacks of H&S going too far.
A degree of danger is an important element of F1 and must remain so. Its one of the reasons its so popular.
Its why the pay is so damn good and after all, nobody is forced to take part.

Last edited:
Always interesting to read so many varied views-my 2pence worth-technology advances generally have not detracted from viewing pleasure if you like the sport in the first place. e.g Cricket and helmets etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom