What do these mean?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jryans10

Car
Mercedes-Benz A140
Hi everyone,

Just had my car serviced and a few things came up and I'm struggling to understand fully what they mean:

=============================================
All tyre tread are 5mm / 5.5mm

- Both rear tyres perishing on outside wall
- N/S/F tyre worn on outer edge

- Front brake discs lipped, got quote for £100 so not that bad, but how quickly do I need to get this sorted, and could this cause a squeek while driving?

Why exactly has this happened and do I need to replace them now?

Also while talking about tyres, if you pay for more expensive tyres, are they worth it (ie. do they last a lot longer?)

Thanks.

Last edited:
How old are the tyres? The date is stamped on the side of each tyre. It will appear like this: 2306. This is a tyre manufactured in week 23 of 2006.

The rear tyre 'perishing' could just be where they have been scuffed from parking against a kerb.

Hi, it is recommended that tyres are changed at six years old,even if never used. This is because rubber is organic and over time begins to deteriorate. Some tyres have six number date codes,some have four,most will come after the letters DOT.Hope this helps.John

- N/S/F tyre worn on outer edge

- Front brake discs lipped, got quote for £100 so not that bad, but how quickly do I need to get this sorted, and could this cause a squeek while driving?

- Why exactly has this happened and do I need to replace them now?

- Also while talking about tyres, if you pay for more expensive tyres, are they worth it (ie. do they last a lot longer?)

Near Side Front (nearest kerb) tyre being worn on the outer edge could be worn suspension parts or tracking (I suspect the latter - particularly if it has ever struck a pothole or kerb). Had they highlighted the Near Side Rear, I would have suggested too faster a cornering on roundabouts!

Front brake discs wear over time but because the pad does not cover the whole wear area, a lip builds which is basically where it has not worn. If the discs aren't that old, you can have this grinded off. The time to replace brake discs is when they are badly corroded (rusted) or are too thin.

More expensive tyres tend to perform better in grip / handling / acceleration. They don't necessarily last longer.

The treadwear rating of the tyre will dictate the rubber compound used and the likely hardness. A higher treadwear will mean it is harder and should last longer, but will result in less grip like for like vs. a lower treadwear - which is made of softer rubber.

Perished side-walls tends to be application of petroleum based tyre shine, this reacts with the tyre silica and hardens the rubber.... In truth this is cosmetic but needs monitoring.

Friction face of the disc will wear, the lip is a passenger so don't worry about that so long as the friction face is above the "minimum" thickness level that is marked on the disc's outer circumference.

NSF tyre wear is probably simple "tracking", possibly camber but i doubt that unless the car is pulling? The toe/ tracking angle is a shared angle so it could be argued both tyres should wear the same... But the turning radius for each front tyre is different, meaning if the toe is wrong the NSF tyre will suffer more.

£100 for front discs and pads fitted! That must be for cheapo brake parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom