What do to? (Car purchase hassles)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That’s one of the earliest things I thought of when it first came up, but they wouldn’t sell it as it was ‘unroadworthy’ (faulty headlight) and I actually thought to myself it’s probably better that I let them arrange the repairs in case there’s any repercussions further down the line.

I think I’m correct in that the car will have to come with some form of basic warranty - consumer rights etc?

Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick without re-reading this thread, I'm guessing the replacement/repair won't be cheap? Could they be looking for 2nd hand parts? One way to find out would be to be to contact the dealership of your choice for a time scale/availability to get it fixed, then I think you'd be covered to drive the car if the journey is to a pre-booked destination for repair. The supplier would then struggle for reasons not to let you take the car and get it fixed yourself.

They’re supposed to have the part in hand now (control unit for the headlight - Intelligent Lighting System) but it needs main dealer equipment to code the unit to the car as I understand it (STAR).

I’ve waited three weeks now so I guess I’ll sit it out now.

I think it’s possibly a little nativity on their part (or wishful thinking) as they were hoping or tried the Xenon bulb and a ballast pack I think as they’re not familiar with these cars and perhaps didn’t realise the cost of the repair.

Yes. Who?
I haven’t said as yet, no need to name and shame until this is resolved.

The place I’m buying this car from is not an MB dealer, so fairly unlikely for any other members to have dealings with them anyway.

I haven’t said as yet, no need to name and shame until this is resolved.
Why? This isn't CheckaTrade. You might stop maybe 1 person going there..... maybe.... so what? What's the harm in telling us?

Why? This isn't CheckaTrade. You might stop maybe 1 person going there..... maybe.... so what? What's the harm in telling us?

Hey, it’s my choice :)

I’m giving them the chance to resolve the situation, and can comfortably say they’re not selling any other Mercedes cars either so little chance of anyone else going there.

I will post the outcome once it’s resolved, please respect that.

Thanks

You certainly have more patience that I do.

I'd have told them where to go a long long time ago for the simple fact that if they are like this when selling a car, if you have any problems then you are surely on your own.

Sounds like customer service typical of the Sytner group....

No, it’s not any of those places. Just goes to show that almost all large chains or organisations can have good/bad branches or staff.

I’ve seen good and bad posts on here about places like Kwik Fit and MB main dealers alike.

I’m sure the rest of this organisation I’m dealing with are probably fine, they must be doing something right to stay in business.

Wow I think you need to give your head a good shake! You should have walked weeks ago! Never mind the spec n price etc (unless your a millionaire) your just setting yourself up for a disastrous ending.. and the worse thing is, you know this.. :(

Oh it sounds like JCT600...

Am I right or am I right? :p:rolleyes:

Hey it’s only a car, at the end of the day if it turns out sour then I’m pretty sure the consumer rights are in my favour and the dealer group that it’s being sold by aren’t a one-man-band or fly-by-night type place.

But I’ve seen the car, driven it, liked it, seen all the paperwork etc and paid a deposit.

Not really a great deal of risk - hopefully a good outcome eventually :cool:

Nope, and it’s not a game of guess who! :doh:

Have just heard from the garage - car is booked in for the service (and coding of the control unit) and is going in on Monday, to be collected by them on Tuesday and ready for me to collect from themselves on Wednesday.

Fingers and toes crossed!:)

I think the minimum warranty a trader has to provide on a used car is 3 months.
I would have thought that a large group of main dealers would probably offer more, especially on a low mileage car.
Is there nothing on their website about used car warranties?
Find out what you can and then ask a direct question - direct it to the guy who seemed to get the ball rolling for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom