What do we think of ML's ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadiesean

Having sold my E55, sniff, now need to get serious on buying a car more appropriate to living on a farm. So loving my Mercs, obviously considering all options. G-Wagens, hold their value like Land Rovers, who pays the sort of money they are asking for those bad boys ?

ML's seem to be more affordable, is that because they are as sh&t as they are said (by someone on Top Gear) to be, or are there jewels in the mound there somewhere ???

Which should you look at, and which are to be avoided like the plague. Don't want to spend a fortune, my farm will turn just about anything to dust, so rather not spend more than about £6-7000.

Thanks all.

Hello

I've just sold my ML 350 Inspiration, had this for nearly 4 yrs and was a great car. Very smooth engine. They do get a bad report but not sure if that's again people that have heared' bad things rather than the owners.

Facelifted models are generally better and you money will get you one of them (indicators in the mirrors). If you look for the inspiration model in either ML270Cdi or ML350 then they have some nice touches from the ML55, stitched leather seats, chrome dials, chrome trim, upgraded alloys, etc etc

Check for ruct under arches, and rear of tail gate handle and the brakes as its a heavy car.

Depending on your miles don't dismiss the 360, its a 3.7L and a lovely smooth engine, does between 20 and 28mpg.

Also I was told to look for one when buying with the family pack and lux pack as it helps resale, so the extra seats in the back (you can take these out) privacy glass, opening rear windows etc.

I had an ML270cdi Inspiration and really liked it, it was a big wallowy 4x4 but that was fine by me, that is what I expected it to be.
I will admit that sitting in the back on twisty roads could make you feel a little sick, but I never sat in the back really probably only twice and my daughter never felt this way and she was the one sitting there, so wasn't really a problem.

All in all a pretty good car, don't expect it to handle like a typical Merc, just enjoy it for what it is.

I live on a farm too - the farmer has only just changed his ML320 (petrol) for a discovery. It was an older ML - an 'x' reg i think - silver, with rusty arches!

It started off as his family car - but increasingly was used as a work-horse over the past couple of years towing sheep and cattle in trailers and out on the fields - he said it was a good car, useful off-road ability - but that the petrol model used to use a LOT of fuel when used for towing and pottering about in mud!

I shudder to think what you lose buying them new and I simply wouldn't touch a brand new one - i think that the BMW X5 and Range Rover sport are more desireable than the ML and this affects the resale values. I actually couldn't believe how cheap they were at my local MB dealer when I was looking for my c-class - not the car for me as I do a lot of miles, but good value used cars. The X5 probably isn't actually any good off road - it looks too road-biased for that (IMO) - the ML might be a good choice but i'd also look at the range-rover sport or the latest discovery too (the RR Sport is based on the disco but has a different appeal).

ah - just noticed you have a budget of 6 -7 grand - so that might knock out the RR sport!

in which case, i'd probably look for the best discovery you can get for the money - probably a previous shape one.

A210AMG and gizzie, what years were your ML inspirations ? What year did the facelift come in ??

gkerr4, RRS would be grand, but too exxy for this black duck, I want cheap cheap, Disco good, but wife hates them, would ideally want a 7 seat ML option, this is the family pack ??

Good to know that they are not as bad as some say and handy that they are ok off road, we're not off road, but the road to my place is shocking.

my uncle has a ML320 for sale dark blue full tan interior...had money spent on it as well.. i think he was required to fit a gps tracker! anyway i like them 430's to me 4x4s need big engines...

I'm on my second W163 ML and my only suggestion is to go for V8. They only get 1 mile per gallon less than V6 counterparts. 2004-2005 ML500 is what you ideally want.

roadiesean,

The facelifted models I think were 2001, the obvious difference is the mirrors in the indicators.

If your looking, try and find the Inspiration as they really are much nicer inside. Yes the family pack is the Extra seats, dark windows, opening rear 3/4 windows.

Here is mine, only just sold this...

inside.jpg

buttons.jpg

DSCF4383.jpg

Mine was an 03 plate. Think the facelift is 02 build onwards, so built after Sept 2001.

Mine was a 52 plate 500 in Jasper Blue. Liked that car, it was even better with hollow (cough cough) cats.....

A210 how comes you sold it!!! looks like a keeper, cant see how some one could sell it?

to OP its not a facelift and has 120k on it its been well maintained fully stamped but i guess your looking for lower miles...

We've had our W163 ML for more than 6 years now. We love it. Been a superb car. A210 has pointed out key things to look out for - add ball joints to that.

Go as late as you can afford with full history and you won't be dissappointed.

I have an 06 plate ML320cdi, and it's a fantastic motor (my wife uses it most). Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee before this, and the ML beats it hands down. Had an X5 as a loan car for 3 weeks and it couldn't touch the ML. Never tried a Range Rover, which I've always fancied, but never even thought about a Disco to be honest.

Had the ML up in Newcastle this weekend in the snow and it didn't blink an eye lid - effortless through a foot plus of snow, so accomplished off road. Comfy and usable for the 320 miles up there and 320 miles back as well!! Is that a high enough recommendation!?!?

It's strange, I've sold a Range Rover and now looking for an E55.
I really like Mercs but not the ML, if you hunt about you can get a 2002 onwards Range Rover for the £10-11k mark, it would be the V8 petrol though, which is definatly the one to go for, the TD6 is awful, if you can't stretch your budget have you thought about a Land Cruiser maybe?.

If you can put up with a bit of body roll and becoming on first name terms with your local garage attendant, it all the car you need. Wish Id opted for the 270CDI but once I test drove the 430, couldnt hand the keys back. As its only used as a second car I can justify the 19mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom