What do you like/hate on your Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chic0821

MB Enthusiast
Car
S63 AMG Coupe, Range Rover Sport, 992 Porsche Carrera 4S
I my case its
Love, Head up display :)
Hate Gesture boot lid opening. Stand for ages waving my foot like a demented maniac with no avail:wallbash:

Windscreen wipers are pants as they have been on nearly all my Mercedes cars.

The rest of the car is pretty good but I especially love the Burmester system and Augmented Reality.

2021 GLC Premium Plus.

Robin

I love the super smooth V6.

I hate that the interior mirror doesn’t adjust with the seat memory function.

Saloon:
Like: Looks, reliability, simplicity (no modern tech).

Dislike: Parts can be htf and/or expensive, wheel arch rust.

Coupe:
Like: Looks. No rust.

Dislike: Cassette player. Constant squeaking from gear lever and lots of other small, annoying problems. Booked into Indy for end of this month but has already cost more than my 4 previous W124's combined.

Liked in my case as I no longer have it : the way the bonnet on my 204 could be opened right up almost vertically. Great for messing around in the engine bay without taking lumps out of your scalp.

OK, not mine, but "most" Mercedes.

Ride quality on British roads from oversized wheels and "sports suspension"

Perfect when driven "mit Lebhaftigkeit" on German roads, but make no sense on UK roads.

(BMW have the same issue.)

Didn't 'hate' it, but couldn't grow to love the unnecessarily complex and awkward parking brake. Which, maybe significantly, was the only thing to actually fall apart on my 204 during my ownership.
The Beemer has one of these:
handbrake - Copy.jpg
and is much better for it IMHO

How quaint!....what year was the BMW?....seems like they have had electric handbrakes with just a switch for a while now.....

Didn't 'hate' it, but couldn't grow to love the unnecessarily complex and awkward parking brake. Which, maybe significantly, was the only thing to actually fall apart on my 204 during my ownership.
The Beemer has one of these:
View attachment 146730
and is much better for it IMHO
Got the best gearbox though Mike, an awesome gearbox especially in Sport where they actually do something.

Thought we had a thread similar to this????

The A Class A170 (W169 Shape) (Mrs ALFAitalias car really).

Love....smooth, quiet (if a little underpowered but fine for the town use and shopping runs it usually gets), comfortable, spacious, amazing AC (ice forms on the inside of the screen!), solid build....not a spec of rust at 17 years and 75,000 miles. Apart from a whine that I will sort its never had anything except the wiring in the mirror break....caused by her folding them every time she parks....but an easy fix.

Hate....engine positioning (largely under the floor making even the simplest job near impossible to get it....spark plug change from under the car??!!!....really!....and try changing the aux belt.....two inch gap between belt and chassis rails.....you have to raise /lower the engine to replace the tensioner!!!

The CLK 200K (W209 shape) now gone....

Love....the interior, it oozed quality especially with the grey leather....the manual box.....took a while to find one with four pedals!! The shape....they still look great.

Hate.....the engine.....gutless as a very gutless thing indeed.....in reality the only reason I sold it (well that and my son getting too tall for the rear seats), stupid handbrake release and pedal.

SLK 230K (R170 shape....now gone)

Love....the simple classy styling.....looked great next to the CLK on the drive. Reliabilty....in 10 years of owning it only has a MAF fail....but the car was still drivable.

Hate.......not much really.......a bit girly to look at.....but then she drove it mostly so that's fine!!!

2003 SL500 - Love the looks, love the over engineering in the roof mechanism, love the torque, love the comfort ....

Don't love the rebuilding her slowly....... she can be a fickle beast, but she is 20 years of age.... Oh the sodding consumer battery idea.... hate that, always seems to be 'offline' after a few weeks....

Overall - Love her....

Hate....engine positioning (largely under the floor making even the simplest job near impossible to get it....spark plug change from under the car??!!!....really!....
I’m surprised you bought it then, as I believe you do all spannering yourself?

I can’t think of anything I’ve hated about any car I’ve owned, and especially the Mercedes I’ve owned. I wasn’t particularly keen on the tin worm which loved ruining my 2003 (W203) C-Class (and 1987 (Corsa A) Nova) even more than I enjoyed driving it.

I like: 680-700nm of torque (after a map)

Don’t like: the ride is crashy, even on 17s, but it also handles terribly. Coming from BMWs, it doesn’t make any sense to me. At least be good at one of them.

I’m surprised you bought it then, as I believe you do all spannering yourself?
I didn't....she did....and once she decides she's wants something that is usually that!
Nothing is impossible....but most stuff is awkward. Aux belt, spark plugs, AC, etc etc.....all accessed from under the car. Even the battery is under the drivers feet. Theoretically you could do the plugs from the top with thin enough arms.....but you then need to take half the front of the car apart to gain access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom