What do you like/hate on your Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One of the things that really winds me up about mine is the heated seat auto turn off. Works fine and then slowly turns off until it completely switches off and refuses to be turned back on. What gives? When its cold I want some heat please-not when the car decides I need it.
Also the Comand system is a bit of a faff frankly and veru overcomplicated.
Only a few gripes though-best performance car I’ve ever owned and I’ve had a lot. Truly ‘the Hammer’.

Always very impressed with heated seats and rear window/mirror demister in the 9-3s and 9-5s I've owned. Below a certain temperature they activate automatically. Something I'm surprised more brands haven't adopted.

What do I like about the W209? Pretty much everything, particularly the looks which have really grown on me. Very comfortable too on sensible 17s. And now I've got the slight exhaust leak sorted the power is adequate even though it's only the 2.6

Struggling to hate something but I don't like the lack of a dipstick.

Distronic cruise control, heads up display,reverse cam, pan roof, soon to be installed from 3 to 64 colour ambient lighting! On my 5th merc now but never had these in any of them!

One of the things that really winds me up about mine is the heated seat auto turn off. Works fine and then slowly turns off until it completely switches off and refuses to be turned back on. What gives? When its cold I want some heat please-not when the car decides I need it.
Also the Comand system is a bit of a faff frankly and veru overcomplicated.
Only a few gripes though-best performance car I’ve ever owned and I’ve had a lot. Truly ‘the Hammer’.
It does go for 3 to 2 to 1 - but you can always turn it back on or change the setting back to 3, no?

It does go for 3 to 2 to 1 - but you can always turn it back on or change the setting back to 3, no?
nope it just slowly scales down to 1 then off….cue much pressing to turn it back on but it wont do it until it decides it wants to work again . hopefully theres some function in the settings but i cant find it

nope it just slowly scales down to 1 then off….cue much pressing to turn it back on but it wont do it until it decides it wants to work again . hopefully theres some function in the settings but i cant find it
My wife and I play a game whereby in the summer we try to sneakily put each others seat heating on. Oh, how we laugh! 🤭

One thing i really like on my S212 is the little luggage hooks in the boot. So simple, but effective at stopping your crumpets and Nesquik spilling everywhere. I also like the way the interior is really nicely put together with even gaps for instance where the dash meets the door. (Maybe im just too used to Alfa's!)

There really isn't anything i don't like, though a bit more durability out of some of the components would be nice. Engine mounts shot at <90k miles isn't great for instance. Its the only car ive ever had to do engine mounts on and some have gone to much higher mileage.

On balance though i love it - it does feel very nicely put together.

Struggling to hate something but I don't like the lack of a dipstick.
Was one of the things I liked about the 204, given that I'm a dinosaur who makes a point of checking stuff before a long journey, was the proper old skool oil dipstick.
The Beemer? To check the oil level, you have to get it up to operating temperature. 90 odd degrees on the oil temp. gauge takes about 10 minutes driving. What if it needs oil? That's 10 minutes back to base for a top-up before you've even started your journey. What total numpty at BMW thought that was a great idea?:(

CLS55

Dislikes: Wipers (on all mercs I've had too) are a bit too loud. It apparently needs super unleaded.

The A209

Like:-
The looks …..esp roof down :cool: wind blocker works well.
The V6…. It’s got a nice tone, and can pick up it’s skirts and go
its an effortless drive, in lovely condition 18yrs in, and 77k.

Dislikes:-
The pathetic ‘cup holder’ drawer that pops out next to glovebox, way too small to be useful. Used to be my parking coins stash.
(even that’s defunct with Ringo or cards now 😔)

The fact that the glovebox and armrest catches are not long lived, (touchwood mine ok…. For now)

The fact mine has a 254mm headunit….. all the decent OEM looking android units seem to be 260mm :doh:

pretty minor grumbles I know - but perfection was close

The only thing is the rear seat headrests reflecting in the rear screen when glancing in the review mirror.

Where to start,
W114 280ce, what a piece of class
W124 230te, bag of ....
Sl320 perfection when all was working
W205 C250d est, just done France and back, not a glitch, plugged the USB stick in and just cruised.

A 212 Estate is a wonderful all-rounder - I guess what I love most about it is the 5.5 V8 up front. Sybaritic.

The ageing COMAND let the car down as did the shitty standard speakers so I had all that replaced.

Sybaritic.....

.....had to google that one!!

Someone who has a sybaritic way of life spends a lot of time relaxing in a luxurious way. [formal] Synonyms: pleasure-loving, self-indulgent, hedonistic, champagne More Synonyms of Sybaritic.

Love almost everything apart from 2 things -

Handbrake (especially in winter)
Manual gearbox changes

Sybaritic.....

.....had to google that one!!

Someone who has a sybaritic way of life spends a lot of time relaxing in a luxurious way. [formal] Synonyms: pleasure-loving, self-indulgent, hedonistic, champagne More Synonyms of Sybaritic.

"Spends a lot of time relaxing in a luxurious way".

That sound like my 8 hour round trip from London to Leeds and back at the weekend.

Not sure about the rest of it though!

LOVE THE
- matrix adaptive LED headlights
- red leather
-;digital instrumentation
- blind spot warning, avoidance system
- adaptive cruise
- electric seats
- burmester stereo
-;panoramic roof
- hands free boot
-;acceleration / mid range (C300)
- keyless entry and start

DISLIKE
Unrefined brakes that you can't feather to a stand still

Noisy petrol engine idle not too disimilar to a quiet diesel

Android Auto not being full screen!!

MB sat nav and painful address entry

Slightly off set steering wheel to seat

Climate control that isn't precise, either too hot and too cold like standard binary on off aircon.

No oil dip stick

Rubbish DAB reception, seems to only pick up 4 or so stations.

Synthetic leather on the dashboard and doors (seat facing is leather)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom