What do you recommend? Continental SportContact 6 or Michelin PilotSport4?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If the car is lowered, have you got adjustable camber links on the rear?

If not, or not adjusted properly, the inside of the wheel/tyre will become closer to the shock absorber.

I’m guessing you’re running W210 E55 Monoblocks, as the standard W202 C43 rims only take 245 section tyres and have a slightly different offset :thumb:

I bought links and had them installed 5 years ago.
Perhaps suspension got out of alignment as I have hit a few potholes over the years.
Yes I have monoblocks

If you’re running the W210 18” wheels they’re not quite the correct offset for a W202, although they fit pretty well. You’re running tyres 10mm wider than factory, and the offset is 5mm less (so you’re around 10mm closer to the shock absorber - 5mm from the offset, plus the extra 5mm of tyre width)

If you’re running the W210 18” wheels they’re not quite the correct offset for a W202, although they fit pretty well. You’re running tyres 10mm wider than factory, and the offset is 5mm less (so you’re around 10mm closer to the shock absorber - 5mm from the offset, plus the extra 5mm of tyre width)

Could this be fixed with adjustable links, taking rear wheels further away from the rear shocks?

Conti SC5 didn't do well in tests.
Perhaps this tire was a let down?

I had the SC3 for 6 years now, rears still have pattern but fronts are worn and have dry rot cracks.
Probably better buying new tires and doing a 4 wheel alignment then do a MOT test.

Tire guy told me MB with divided rear axles never get a proper wear on rear tires compared to cars with solid rear axles.
Divided rear axles gives you better ride comfort but also gives you uneven tire wear.
Doesn't matter how accurate the 4 wheel alignment is done.
That's what the tire guy told me.

If I buy new Michelin's PS4 and the 4 wheel alignment, the total will cost me approx £850 quids.
Sounds like a lot of money!
I just bought four Conti Premium Contact 3s for the W140 and it was just a shade under £800 !

( That was keeping the best of my old set of tyres for a spare ) . What I will probably do later is buy a new budget tyre for a spare , since I only use it for that .

I have decided to go for Michelin PS4.
I found a good deal on them.

www.autodoc.de sells them for good price.
I believe they also ship tires for free within Europe?

Tyres are all personal choice and we all havve our own opinions on them regardless.

I've had 2 x sets of each on the C63.
Conti's wore out after 5000 miles but, very sure footed.
PS4S - much better wear rate, very grippy but a softer sidewall which, you can feel the flex when pushing on (into a corner)
I upped the rear width to 265 (from 255) so, this may have changed things (ever so slightly). Just ordered another rear set of the PS4S (be here tomorrow) at the correct size (255) for comparison.

Let's face it, they wear out in no time so, whichever you choose will be replaced within the year anyway (mileage depending)

If you know a tyre fitter, I always use www.camskill.co.uk. Great service and the cheapest on the net

Tyres are all personal choice and we all havve our own opinions on them regardless.

I've had 2 x sets of each on the C63.
Conti's wore out after 5000 miles but, very sure footed.
PS4S - much better wear rate, very grippy but a softer sidewall which, you can feel the flex when pushing on (into a corner)
I upped the rear width to 265 (from 255) so, this may have changed things (ever so slightly). Just ordered another rear set of the PS4S (be here tomorrow) at the correct size (255) for comparison.

Let's face it, they wear out in no time so, whichever you choose will be replaced within the year anyway (mileage depending)

If you know a tyre fitter, I always use www.camskill.co.uk. Great service and the cheapest on the net

Thanks for the info.

PS4S is an improved version of the PS4?
The S-tires do they differ a lot from standard PS4?

When you say Michelin's have soft sidewalls?
These come as XL, tires should be reinforced?

When I buy tires, should I opt for MO version or maybe it doesn't matter if tires are not MO stamped?
Are MO tires more up to specification as OE tires for Mercedes vehicles versus tires sold as aftermarket without MO stamp?
I worry about rub issues, which camber adjustment probably should fix this?

PS4S is ultra high performance tyre
PS4 is high performance tyre

Just had a full set of conti's put on. Non RFT.

So far, feel really planted. Only driven on them 10 miles :).

What does “really planted” mean ?

Ain't going to blow away like a "kite" 🤪

Conti SC5 didn't do well in tests.
Perhaps this tire was a let down?

CSC5 did very well in tests , no less than 13 tyre test 1st place wins , just that the long term real world reviews where it didn't stack up .

PS4S is ultra high performance tyre
PS4 is high performance tyre

Thanks.

OK, so it's probably overkill to buy the S type?
The S type are they more suitable for track driving?

CSC5 did very well in tests , no less than 13 tyre test 1st place wins , just that the long term real world reviews where it didn't stack up .

Maybe I should have been more accurate in explanation?
Conti's always do great in tests but in real life as for consumer reviews, looks like it didn't do very well?
I don't know?

Going for tire hunt tomorrow.
I will report back.

Thanks.

OK, so it's probably overkill to buy the S type?
The S type are they more suitable for track driving?
They’re both road tyres, the S is just a slightly higher specification. Both would be fine on track but the track focused tyre is the Pilot Sport Cup 2. They’re incredibly good (in the dry and when it’s warm).

Thanks for the info.

PS4S is an improved version of the PS4?
The S-tires do they differ a lot from standard PS4?

When you say Michelin's have soft sidewalls?
These come as XL, tires should be reinforced?

When I buy tires, should I opt for MO version or maybe it doesn't matter if tires are not MO stamped?
Are MO tires more up to specification as OE tires for Mercedes vehicles versus tires sold as aftermarket without MO stamp?
I worry about rub issues, which camber adjustment probably should fix this?
The MO specification means that the tyre has been adapted and homologated to meet specific requirements of the a particular manufacturer. Often the differences can’t be seen or felt by the average driver in average circumstances, but other times it is.

For example tyres homologated for Porsche have a visibly different profile where the tread meets the tyre wall, which means it’s a different shape, with different characteristics. When I saw tyres side by side I was surprised how different they were.

Both my wife and I drive the same car with the same tyres and have done so for eight years. This has enabled me to work out that tyres homologated for Audi last around twice as long as those homologated for Mercedes, in that tyre size and on that car - most people don’t buy enough tyres to work that out.

If you’re worried about the tyre rubbing on the suspension then the best thing you can do is add a spacer (as long as it won’t cause rubbing on the arch), and/or step down a size. I seem to recall you’re running wider than standard tyres already.

Regarding the old , v old 5's when they went AO ( Audi Option ) the achillies heal of high wear was gone .

So there can be a real change in the compound .

El Bimmer has PS4s fitted and they’re certainly grippy, but I’m a big fan of Contis so I’ll probably try those next time. I’m not happy with the BM’s ride, in comfort it’s a bit bouncy and in sport it’s a bit harsh. A change of tyres might be what it needs, just because the Pilots are OE doesn’t necessarily mean they’re the best choice. My Subaru was transformed when I threw the OE Bridgestones in the bin and fitted Goodyear GSD3’s.

Cheers,

Gaz
I did try and tell you.

The MO specification means that the tyre has been adapted and homologated to meet specific requirements of the a particular manufacturer. Often the differences can’t be seen or felt by the average driver in average circumstances, but other times it is.

For example tyres homologated for Porsche have a visibly different profile where the tread meets the tyre wall, which means it’s a different shape, with different characteristics. When I saw tyres side by side I was surprised how different they were.

Both my wife and I drive the same car with the same tyres and have done so for eight years. This has enabled me to work out that tyres homologated for Audi last around twice as long as those homologated for Mercedes, in that tyre size and on that car - most people don’t buy enough tyres to work that out.

If you’re worried about the tyre rubbing on the suspension then the best thing you can do is add a spacer (as long as it won’t cause rubbing on the arch), and/or step down a size. I seem to recall you’re running wider than standard tyres already.

Good explanation, thank you very much.
Tires AO homologated for Audi cars maybe they are more durable (heavy duty) for longevity because Audi have the Quattro 4 wheel system?
Could this be what you refer too?

Stock wheels are 17 inch and 245 in rear, I went with 18 inch and 255 in rear.

I placed an order for four new tires from Michelin PilotSport4.
225/40/18
255/35/18

It will take a few weeks to get the tires because of the pandemic.

They’re both road tyres, the S is just a slightly higher specification. Both would be fine on track but the track focused tyre is the Pilot Sport Cup 2. They’re incredibly good (in the dry and when it’s warm).

So you can push even more in the corners with the S-type tires and they still keep the car on track.

So you can push even more in the corners with the S-type tires and they still keep the car on track.
In theory yes, but an average driver may not be able to notice the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom