What do you think of this SL55? (and general queries)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NuisanceValue

Car
1996 SL500
I've been watching the prices of SL55's and SL600's and they now seem to be incredible value for money at the moment. I've just recently found this one for sale..

Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG - Harbour Cars

and emailed them with a couple of questions as it's too far for me to go for a quick look (I'm in Edinburgh and the car is south coast). The only things it doesn't seem to have are distronic, TV tuner and CD changer, but has pretty much everything else. Apparently it's been to Mercedes and the diagnostics were clear. They sent me some engine bay pictures and it looks very clean indeed.

I'm a bit confused as they say "the car is on a '52' plate first registered January 2003" So am I right thinking this is a 2002 car?

What do you guys think of the price? Generally, what do you think will happen to SL55/SL600 prices over the next 10 - 12 months?

Anything else I should be asking the dealers?

Can someone explain the difference between the sat-nav (comand?) that
it's got and the later 'cleaner' designed ones I've seen?

Am I right in thinking that there were some body panel galvanising issues around 2002/2003?

I'm really tempted, especially if I could get them down a bit to say £22k, as I simply can't find a SL600 in anything other than silver for around this price (or cheaper), and after a bit of research most people reckon the SL55 handles better anyway. I think the leather on this sets it apart even from the SL600.

As I currently run a R129 SL500 as an everyday car, I would be really tempted by a SL60 but it would have to be post 1996 with the panoramic roof and not silver (I've seen the silver one on eBay mentioned in spotted) but they are so hard to find.

So, what do I do? Keep running the SL500 and hold out for the perfect SL60, hang on for a bargain SL600 (or SL55) in the next 12 months or get this SL55 with almost perfect spec that I'm really taken with, IF I can move them on the price?

Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated.

I've been watching the prices of SL55's and SL600's and they now seem to be incredible value for money at the moment. I've just recently found this one for sale..

Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG - Harbour Cars

and emailed them with a couple of questions as it's too far for me to go for a quick look (I'm in Edinburgh and the car is south coast). The only things it doesn't seem to have are distronic, TV tuner and CD changer, but has pretty much everything else. Apparently it's been to Mercedes and the diagnostics were clear. They sent me some engine bay pictures and it looks very clean indeed.

I'm a bit confused as they say "the car is on a '52' plate first registered January 2003" So am I right thinking this is a 2002 car?

What do you guys think of the price? Generally, what do you think will happen to SL55/SL600 prices over the next 10 - 12 months?

Anything else I should be asking the dealers?

Can someone explain the difference between the sat-nav (comand?) that
it's got and the later 'cleaner' designed ones I've seen?

Am I right in thinking that there were some body panel galvanising issues around 2002/2003?

I'm really tempted, especially if I could get them down a bit to say £22k, as I simply can't find a SL600 in anything other than silver for around this price (or cheaper), and after a bit of research most people reckon the SL55 handles better anyway. I think the leather on this sets it apart even from the SL600.

As I currently run a R129 SL500 as an everyday car, I would be really tempted by a SL60 but it would have to be post 1996 with the panoramic roof and not silver (I've seen the silver one on eBay mentioned in spotted) but they are so hard to find.

So, what do I do? Keep running the SL500 and hold out for the perfect SL60, hang on for a bargain SL600 (or SL55) in the next 12 months or get this SL55 with almost perfect spec that I'm really taken with, IF I can move them on the price?

Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated.
A '52' plate car is registered between September 2002 and March 2003:thumb:

The 'cleaner' COMAND you refer to is most likely to be the widescreen ones from the 2005 model year (I think that's the changeover year).

That particular SL looks quite nice, I like Green Black and the quilted comfort seats are a nice extra (although not to everyone's taste).

Love the colour and the seats ...

Those are my least favourite wheels though. :(

Hi OP
Im an expert after just getting this one after ages of looking
Safwat Cars Ltd : 2004 04 Reg Mercedes SL55 AMG Roadster
The things against the car in my opinion are
Miles are high
Wheels are the worst of the many available
Price is slightly high
On the flipside the seats are nice, but Im sure thats after market and it would put me off.
I have been told on here that 2002 to early 2004 are not galvanised, this may be a factor for you but wasnt a biggy to me.

I wanted the later Comand but all the cars with it were boring however Amari have just put a genuine F1 pace car edition up on their site - I would have bought this if I wasnt already commited.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2523322.htm

Locally to me and advertised on here is a 55 plate that is really nice in black with similar miles to your 2003 model, that has all toys and dig tv and widescreen

On resale a SL600 will scare a lot of people where a SL55 should be more reassuring as there are more about - have fun looking

Last edited:
The 'cleaner' COMAND you refer to is most likely to be the widescreen ones from the 2005 model year (I think that's the changeover year).

Ok, that's a wee shame, as they do look nicer and the TV would be a nice extra toy to play with.

That particular SL looks quite nice, I like Green Black and the quilted comfort seats are a nice extra (although not to everyone's taste).

Yeah, although green/black it looks more blue, I think it's darker than tanzanite. I really like the seats but am wondering if they, and the relatively low miles, have prompted the asking price..

Hi OP
Im an expert after just getting this one after ages of looking
Safwat Cars Ltd : 2004 04 Reg Mercedes SL55 AMG Roadster
The things against the car in my opinion are
Miles are high
Wheels are the worst of the many available
Price is slightly high
On the flipside the seats are nice, but Im sure thats after market and it would put me off.
I have been told on here that 2002 to early 2004 are not galvanised, this may be a factor for you but wasnt a biggy to me.

I wanted the later Comand but all the cars with it were boring however Amari have just put a genuine F1 pace car edition up on their site - I would have bought this if I wasnt already commited.

Amari Super Cars GB : SL55 AMG "F1 PERFORMANCE PACK"

Locally to me and advertised on here is a 55 plate that is really nice in black with similar miles to your 2003 model, that has all toys and dig tv and widescreen

On resale a SL600 will scare a lot of people where a SL55 should be more reassuring as there are more about - have fun looking

I've noticed your new purchase on here and PH and am not jealous at all! Lovely buy, hope you enjoy it.

I thought the miles weren't too bad, I'm happy with them so not a deal breaker for me. Likewise the wheels, I know they aren't very popular, but I happen to think they're the nicest of the 18" range. Personal taste I guess.

I wasn't aware that the seats weren't original. Can anyone confirm whether Mercedes/AMG did these as an option? They're certainly fully perforated as is required for the cooling seats option.

I am also concerned about the galvanising so can anyone confirm this also?

As to the others, price and colour exclude them for me I'm afraid. I'm loathe to spend more than £25k absolute tops and it'd have to be perfect.

I agree the SL600 will probably drop below SL55 prices within the next 12 months or so, but where to is question. There were a couple of high (80/90k miles) SL600s recently advertised for about £18k so expect those cars to be £15k-ish in twelve months. I can't somehow see SL55s dropping this low unless uncared for examples.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Lovely car - the upholstery is VERY special. :thumb:

I can't post the link from my iPhone but if your ok with the wheels then the most immaculate and well specced 2003 is on a private ad on pistonheads.
It's a little over £25 but I'm sure you could get it down
Note a FMbSh gets you mobilo and that could be handy.
Good luck

The green/black is a great looking car, change the wheels and it would be perfect.

I've seen those seats on a number of SL's. Isn't that what they looked like back in the early 2000's if they were cooled? In any event, I'm 99.9% certain they're not after market seats. The car looks great and unlike other people I actually quite like those wheels although keeping them clean would put me off :)

Regards,

I have a launch brochure which I am sure would cover 2002 and they are not mentioned, its not just the seats its the entire interior is done. Looks great but raises questions.

Personally, I love those wheels. That was the style I originally wanted for my 211, but found the CLS ones first! Seats would be the concern for me - I'm certain they're after-market as there's no reference to this style in any of the brochures I have from '02 or '03, even on designo. However, if you like them, why not? They do look good! :)

You could be right on the seats of course. It's highly probable I'm getting confused with seat options from the later models...

Dieselstation Car Forums > '09 SL63 and SL65 AMG

Perhaps that's what's happened? The cars been fitted with new seats and door trims from a later model?

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom